**Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it good or

Prensescim

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Honest evaluation: Really good phone with a great price. I got the phone for my wife who wanted to replace her 820. Initially she was shocked about the size. However the shock of the size ended rather quickly. I don't think she'll go back to a smaller phone now. The phone's function is typical windows phone efficiency! It works great. No issues at all. She loves the 5MP front camera as well as the 13MP main camera. The photos aren't quite as equal as my Lumia 830 but the photos are good! She is learning to be proficient at the manual controls which is creating very good photo shots. I would highly recommend the phone.

GauravD

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I cannot think about adding anything to what others have already said. However, two things I'd like to say are:
1. After using the 640 XL, you'll never want to read anything on a smaller phone ever.
2. The battery life is freaking amazing. It really is.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at replacing my 920 with the 640XL but I'm just worried about how much bigger it is in size. Did those of you who came from a smaller phone take long to get used to it, and did any of you think it was just that bit too big?

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought one today as a replacement for my Samsung Ativ S which was an excellent phone but didn't have 4G. Here in the UK there is a chain of stores called Argos and I paid just ?169.95 which is a very good price unless you buy from a Hong Kong based company....

I didn't realise that they were available from Argos, do you know if they do all the colours? I've been waiting for the UK mobile operators to start stocking it but none have so far. Was there any reason you didn't buy from someone like Mobicity or SimplyElectronics at a cheaper price, or was it just for peace of mind getting it from a UK retailer?

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at replacing my 920 with the 640XL but I'm just worried about how much bigger it is in size. Did those of you who came from a smaller phone take long to get used to it, and did any of you think it was just that bit too big?

I had 820 before and 640 Xl really fits well in hands.. It's ergonomic.. But I do miss the amoled and high sensitive screen if the 820..

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I came from a 920 to the 640XL. The size takes getting used to, but is a good thing in my opinion. The other thing is the weight; the Lumia 920 is a heavy phone, which I liked about it, but the 640XL is feather light by comparison.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Rakesh. I'm sure there are things I would miss from the 920 too as it is such a good phone, but I think the positives of the 640XL would outweight the negatives, my only concern would be the size as I remember the 920 seeming much larger than my old iPhone 4. I suppose it is something I'd easily get used to though.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I came from a 920 to the 640XL. The size takes getting used to, but is a good thing in my opinion. The other thing is the weight; the Lumia 920 is a heavy phone, which I liked about it, but the 640XL is feather light by comparison.

Yes I can imagine the weight difference is quite noticeable, but not necessarily in a good way. I'm the same in that I like the weight of the 920, it feels sturdy and could put up with a bit of rough treatment, whereas some of the lighter phones feel as if they'd snap if you weren't careful. I'm not sure we'll see another phone quite like the 920 unfortunately.

ruhulgibrail

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
pathetic camera performance didnt got what i ve seen on the internet..i dont know it is software issue or hardware if someone has resolution then it is grace for me

Ita Chi

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
This is my review after using 640xl for 10 days. And this is coming from a guy who has used both the Lumia 520 and Lumia 720 before. :)

? The hardware - The build quality is just the best , for this price segment. I have used xperias , Motorolas and xiaomis which come under this segment. But trust me , nothing beats Nokia ! :D it feels extremely sturdy in hand. And its quite comfortable for its size. Plus , the matt variants oozes coolness. ;)

?The screen . Yeah , many people would say that 720p display on this huge phone would be a bit low. But this screen is quite good . Texts are sharp and crisp and doesn't suffer under sunlight.

? The cameras . I read your previous replies whre you said you don't like selfies. Trust me , after buying this phone , you would love it. Nd the 13mp carl zeiss optics are brilliant ! They do their job really really well. :D

? And the biggest plus- The battery life ! It is amazing ! Lasts me a full day on moderate to heavy use with almost 30 percent left . :D
Also , coming from 720 , which had 512 mb Ram .. This one seems really really fast. Trust me , the additional 512 mb RAM makes a HUGE difference. :D

There is just this one big con -
You wouldn't like using a small phone after playing with this beauty. ;)

So , go for 640xl blindly , I say !

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
pathetic camera performance didnt got what i ve seen on the internet..i dont know it is software issue or hardware if someone has resolution then it is grace for me

It's good when taken under good light conditions but performs poorly in dim conditions.. Mostly a software issue.. Try taking pics camera 360 sight or any other camera app and compare the pics

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

I have both of these phones. I think the 920 weighs about the same as 640xl. 640xl is better than 920, i think, in all respects.

tech_envy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Honest opinion here after using the 640XL since its launch on AT&T - don't buy it. I'll explain why. Microsoft is lining up all new devices in the x50 range (vs the x40 range of the 640XL) that will launch by October. If you can hold out until then I really would.

That said, here are my impressions of the 640XL:

• Processor/RAM - Completely underpowered. Windows Phone runs "smoothly" on low-end processors that's true, but apps are just plain slow to load and particularly slow to resume.
  • Physical size - 5.7" screen is going to make for a larger chassis size around it to be sure, but it just feels like there's not much high-end engineering to the chassis. Cheap-feeling plastic and just a larger overall size than it feels is necessary.
  • Screen - The quality of the 5.7" screen is actually really good. Great colors, great brightness. The weakness is in its resolution. At 5.7" a non-1080 panel just doesn't feel as sharp as you're likely to see on other devices. It's noticeable.
  • Glass/Touch - While the LCD quality is good, the glass on top of it is really bad. It doesn't have the same high-end smooth feel of the 830, 1020, or 920 devices. Touch sensitivity in particular is horrible. I'm constantly having to tap and re-tap on things to get it to register. This has been the single most frustrating thing about the 640XL.
  • Camera - The 640XL takes good-enough pictures. It feels about on par with the 830 honestly. Camera responsiveness is good and you get the latest Lumia Camera app which is solid. It's not going to compete with the iPhone and Galaxy cameras though. I'm really missing the dedicated camera button on the side. Having to launch the camera from a live tile feels frustratingly slow. Also has to do with low-end processor.
  • Call quality - No complaints whatsoever. Great call quality and mics even though it doesn't have noise-cancelling.
  • Battery - This is the best surprise about the device. The 640XL gets absolutely awesome battery life. I bounce back-and-forth between wi-fi at work and home and I easily get two full days from a charge. If Microsoft can replicate this kind of battery life in all their Lumia phones it will be a real differentiator.

Bottom line - It's a decent device with a big screen, good camera, and awesome battery life. That said, the touch sensitivity issues and the way too-high price of the device are kind of dealbreakers. Especially when you put it in the context of newer, better devices coming in just a few months. Steer clear for now and save your money.

keiserxol

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Go for it. Now.
Just two things, above everything already said before
Amazing battery - seriously, it's truly impressive (and can be replaced, which is also great)
The cover has matte finish, which is much much more than the glossy of the 640. no fingerprints, and most of all, much more grip.

Just prepare to buy a microSD, 8GBs are bound to run out in minutes :)

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I know that by year's end, the new Microsoft phones are to arrive. My perspective was, I wanted an interim phone, the price was right, the features were right, I had the money, so I got it. So far I am mostly happy with it. For the price, it was a steal. Didn't go on contract. I had been waiting for AT&T to move on this. There is a dearth of accessories at this point, though.

My 920 still worked, but was 2.5 years old. The battery was seeming to show its age and the audio jack was getting flakey. This was an interim replacement about 3 weeks ago. No buyers remorse.

Toward the end of the year, I will follow the continuum phones with eager anticipation and see how and when AT&T supports that. Continuum seems to be the holy grail for me and I hope the initial devices are very successful and perform well. The 640XL will do for me until then.

barondebxl

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I cannot think about adding anything to what others have already said. However, two things I'd like to say are:
1. After using the 640 XL, you'll never want to read anything on a smaller phone ever.
2. The battery life is freaking amazing. It really is.

That's a fact. I love the big display, the performance and the fantastic battery life. I can't believe this is $200 bucks. This is the best bang for buck I have ever had.

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the 640XL for the past two months and it never seized to amaze me. I used a Samsung S4 just prior and an iPhone 4S before that. The comments above are perfectly valid for the S4: stuttering, full of non-removable bloatware etc.

The glance screen is an absolutely fantastic feature which no other phone has. I have my phone on my desk constantly and it is much better looking at a screen that tells you what the time is, what the status with messages and emails, etc. are than staring at a pitch black screen of the S4 or 4S for that matter. The glance screen is perfect; it is not edgy!

I take a lot of photo's and video's for work and recreation purposes and the images are perfect IMHO.

I also downloaded Monopoly and Angry Birds just for fun and am amazed at the absolute stutter free experience and the advantages of playing them on a nice big screen.

My daughter broke her 630. I seriously considered sending her my old S4 but I decided to buy her a MS 640 instead because of the positive experiences of hassle-free and bloatware-free full integration with her Microsoft account.

IMHO the 640XL is the phone with the best bang-for-the-buck in the entire marketplace today. It should rank at the top of your list of phones to consider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720