**Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it good or

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I own both the 640 and the 640 XL and I'm still deciding which one, if any, to keep. The 640 XL is fun to mess around with, it's very nice for searching the web and watching videos and I would guess for playing games (though I'm not a gamer at all), but to have it as your (well, my) main phone seems a bit cumbersome so far after about a week and a half or so, you just know it's there all the time when it's on your body. The 640 seems like a really good compromise plus it's easier to use one handed and front pocket-able. The 640 XL fits in the front pocket of all my jeans and pants but I'm much more aware of it and nervous that I'll bend it when sitting down with it in there.

The build quality for both phones is very good, they don't feel or look cheap at all. The 720p screen are very nice and the 640 XL has True Black technology (the 640 has a lesser True Black version implemented, but still looks fine). To my wife and I the 640 XL's screen looks a tad better, clearer, maybe sharper, just a little better. You would think the because the 640 is packed with my pixels it would look like the better display. That being said the difference is minor even when compared side by side. The whites look better on the 640 XL for sure, they are much whiter than the 640 which are "dingy" in side by side comparison, but again you'll likely not notice it using the 640 on it's own.

There is relatively minor but noticeable scrolling lag when web browsing on both phones on many sites, this is my main gripe and I'm trying to get past it, still not sure if I can. Compared to Android it often takes more steps/taps to accomplish tasks, though I'm told W10 update will change some of this.

I like the look and feel of Windows Phone. I'm not a big third party app guy and I understand coming over from Android it will take some time to find my way around, so I'm giving it some time. That being said, I'm not sure the 640 XL is for me, the thought of a phablet might have been better than the reality for me, just not sure I have much use for such a big phone. In fact before I turned to Windows Phone I was considering the first generation Moto X with it's 4.7" screen and very small overall footprint.. and I'm still considering it as I'm finding I like the idea of my phone just being in my pocket.. just there when I need it, but not something I have to think too about much. We shall see!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok here it goes ha ha. Where to begin on my Lumia 640XL. I got it from the nice folks at Komplett.ie delivered by UPS this morning so I have yet to experience battery life and such. I absolutely love this phablet. I have been so lost without it the keyboard is a nice size too I can fly as I type and ar less mistakes. My two thumbs are going at ninety mile an hour like the old T9 dictionary of old. The sound from the speaker is brilliant almost like having your own docking station within the phablet. It came with Windows 8 update 2 so no need to do the reg edit I had to on my 520. The video quality is just amazing full HD crisp and clear. I have to say I a little disappointed in the pic quality but with a little messing (I always do this with every device even my digital cam) I got perfect pics with the right amount if saturation. Sound from the headphones in-fricken-credible seriously its great to have equalisers I know I said the same above but had to say it twice!! Overall I find it brilliant and no stutter at all i have seamless swiping and closing of apps and moving down through internet explorer I find it really responsive to my touch.
Overall score 5 stars out of 5. I love it and I couldn't of done this without all your wonderful feedback. Thanks to all my amazing Windows Central family. Thank you thank you.
?ire O Callaghan

Ita Chi

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok here it goes ha ha. Where to begin on my Lumia 640XL. I got it from the nice folks at Komplett.ie delivered by UPS this morning so I have yet to experience battery life and such. I absolutely love this phablet. I have been so lost without it the keyboard is a nice size too I can fly as I type and ar less mistakes. My two thumbs are going at ninety mile an hour like the old T9 dictionary of old. The sound from the speaker is brilliant almost like having your own docking station within the phablet. It came with Windows 8 update 2 so no need to do the reg edit I had to on my 520. The video quality is just amazing full HD crisp and clear. I have to say I a little disappointed in the pic quality but with a little messing (I always do this with every device even my digital cam) I got perfect pics with the right amount if saturation. Sound from the headphones in-fricken-credible seriously its great to have equalisers I know I said the same above but had to say it twice!! Overall I find it brilliant and no stutter at all i have seamless swiping and closing of apps and moving down through internet explorer I find it really responsive to my touch.
Overall score 5 stars out of 5. I love it and I couldn't of done this without all your wonderful feedback. Thanks to all my amazing Windows Central family. Thank you thank you.
?ire O Callaghan
Awesome :D just put a nice screen protector on it . And if you like , you can add a case as well. :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Just a little screenshot of my startscreen I'm so happy with my new phone.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150819_0001.png
    wp_ss_20150819_0001.png
    809 KB · Views: 24

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
should've waited for the 950

No im happy with the 640 XL as its running wp8.1 update 2 and its a finished OS I have seen nothing but problems on this forum with people having the 950 XL and its smaller brother as wp10 is unfinished and its loaded on it out the box and as far as I know you cant flash 8.1 onto it. No im happy with my 640 XL.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I would argue that Windows 8.1 is one of the better mobile operating systems out there, and when paired with modest hardware it tends to outperform the competition within the similar spec range. This isn't a Galaxy S running the latest Android with a octa-core processor and 4GB of RAM. However, it's far removed from the string and tin can of your youth. If you can get the 640 XL for $200 or less new, or $130 or less used, it's a solid buy.

I recently used a Moto G 2015 and quickly came back to this phone.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Im in the process of mulling over the 640 and the 640 XL or go back to what I had before, a Lumia 930 then I jumped to Android (cant get on with it, miss the live tiles etc). Thing is will i miss the 2GB ram and fantastic screen of the 930, also its only got 8GB memory, that's plain crazy low, I really liked windows 10 on my old 930, ran so smooth, so hoping it will run the same on a 640 XL.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Im in the process of mulling over the 640 and the 640 XL or go back to what I had before, a Lumia 930 then I jumped to Android (cant get on with it, miss the live tiles etc). Thing is will i miss the 2GB ram and fantastic screen of the 930, also its only got 8GB memory, that's plain crazy low, I really liked windows 10 on my old 930, ran so smooth, so hoping it will run the same on a 640 XL.

Thing is, with Windows 10 you don't necessarily need more than 8GB of on board storage. It helps, yes, but so long as you can move applications to the SD card you are covered. With Windows 10 you can install maps to external storage, which was a huge space waster on phones with less than 32 or 16 GB of storage.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

If your worried about storage issues in the 640 XL there are really good class 10 32GB sd cards out there and don't break the bank. I have wp10 release preview ring on my phone and I have over 2GB internal storage left. My class 10 cost in around 15euro about 20 dollars and it only has 10GB used space and I an a heavy gamer and picture / video taker. I have got a good data plan so I stream music on Groove music but I do have a few albums on my SD. Don't let the 8GB stop u buying this amazingly beautiful phone.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If your still looking to buy this amazing phone look no further this thread is packed with user reviews on both sides of the fence.

?ire x

Attachments

• wp_ss_20160506_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20160506_0003.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 21

Duke111

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
8 months on and have had no issues with mine. Still on 8.1, runs very smoothly.
Haven't found storage to be an issue, I have all my music, videos, photos and a some apps on SD card and have 2.8 GB spare on phone.

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
8 months on and have had no issues with mine. Still on 8.1, runs very smoothly.
Haven't found storage to be an issue, I have all my music, videos, photos and a some apps on SD card and have 2.8 GB spare on phone.

Thanks for your review and I am happy that your enjoying it.

?ire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss