Lumia 640XL vs Lumia 730 vs Lumia 925 vs wait for new flagship

Aniket Bhat

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
So I have a 520 which is nearing it's old-age and I'm planning on buying a new phone.. I did my research and it has boiled down to these four options..

1. Buy Lumia 640 XL
2. Buy Lumia 925
3. Buy Lumia 730
4. Wait for flagship

Now the problem here is the all the three phones are for more or less the same price.. With the 640 XL for INR 14.5k ($228), 925 for INR 17k ($267) and Lumia 730 for 12k ($190)..

The 925 is an improvement on the WP8 flagship (920) which is a pro. The con is its dual core processor and it's just 16 GB and no external storage.. But it's hands down the most beautiful Lumia to-date

The 640 XL is an amazing bang for the buck device but its kinda too big.. Maybe I could get used to it.. Camera is something I'm not sure about.. How does it fare against the other two? (The 925 has 6 lens + OIS + PureView and the 730 has an f/1.9 aperture..)

The 730 is the cheapest and has an amazing display and brilliant low light camera.. and the only con is no Glance screen.. Which isn't that bad considering its just $190

Then there comes the flagship.. My NL520 could survive a few more months to see the flagship.. And by then I could save up on some money to buy it.. I'm assuming it would be near INR 35k ($550)? But I'm a little skeptical if it will be released in India along with/ 1-2 month after US/UK release? The 930 was released late in India.. In Nov IIRC.. If the flagship release in India is delayed by an awful amount of time should I go with 930? Or do the alleged specs of "Talkman" beat the 930 enough for me to wait?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't really speculate on whether to do the flagship plan or not, theres a lot of variables in there!

I would think the 730 is the best bet. (the performance of the three phones is similar despite number of cores and graphics, etc.)

I can say I would probably get that myself in your position.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
So I have a 520 which is nearing it's old-age and I'm planning on buying a new phone.. I did my research and it has boiled down to these four options..

1. Buy Lumia 640 XL
2. Buy Lumia 925
3. Buy Lumia 730
4. Wait for flagship

Now the problem here is the all the three phones are for more or less the same price.. With the 640 XL for INR 14.5k ($228), 925 for INR 17k ($267) and Lumia 730 for 12k ($190)..

The 925 is an improvement on the WP8 flagship (920) which is a pro. The con is its dual core processor and it's just 16 GB and no external storage.. But it's hands down the most beautiful Lumia to-date

The 640 XL is an amazing bang for the buck device but its kinda too big.. Maybe I could get used to it.. Camera is something I'm not sure about.. How does it fare against the other two? (The 925 has 6 lens + OIS + PureView and the 730 has an f/1.9 aperture..)

The 730 is the cheapest and has an amazing display and brilliant low light camera.. and the only con is no Glance screen.. Which isn't that bad considering its just $190

Then there comes the flagship.. My NL520 could survive a few more months to see the flagship.. And by then I could save up on some money to buy it.. I'm assuming it would be near INR 35k ($550)? But I'm a little skeptical if it will be released in India along with/ 1-2 month after US/UK release? The 930 was released late in India.. In Nov IIRC.. If the flagship release in India is delayed by an awful amount of time should I go with 930? Or do the alleged specs of "Talkman" beat the 930 enough for me to wait?

Ok, new flagships cityman or talkman may be costly than iphone 6 or s6 edge so forget about it being at 35-40k range.. 925 is a good device but its old now.. 730 is a good device but lacks glance, lumia camera 5,etc.. I would choose 640xl over 730.. Another device which you can get is the 830..

Aniket Bhat

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, new flagships cityman or talkman may be costly than iphone 6 or s6 edge so forget about it being at 35-40k range..

Okay I misjudged the price value, I don't know what I was thinking.. But I don't really think Talkman would be more than 55k... I mean it's the lesser flagship aka 940. While Cityman would be the glorious leader of the Lumias

I think I'm gonna stay put for a while.. At least until more details on the flagship come up.. Otherwise as the 830 seems a good option as well... The camera, storage, screen, price combination is really nice.. Thank you anyways..

rponting

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the smaller flagship will be more than 40k... If your budget reaches that, wait for the flagship... I, myself, getting the 640xl due to it's bigger screen which helps in reading PDF's....

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Switched from a 925 to the 640XL. The phone is faster overall even with the slower clock speed of the quad core. The screen, at least from my opinion is every bit as bright and color saturated as the AMOLED display of the 925. Battery life is hands down better, as with moderate use the 925 might last a day, the 640XL makes at least 2. You do run some risks however, some of us have bright spots on our screens (mine is only visible on a white or light colored background), and others have reported occasional reboots. For the money however I recommend it.

Last edited:

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest the 640 XL based on the camera alone, however the larger screen is helpful and its a solidly built device. Don't expect a premium build quality but don't expect @#$@# either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss