[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 640 XL?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you just unboxed a Lumia 640 XL? Is it so recent that you haven't stopped fiddling with it yet? Which variant did you get?

Give us some quick thoughts on how you like your new device. What stands out right away as a major draw? What seems to be lacking?

Are you happy you got it? Why? Why not?

MrAlaskan

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I went with the 640 because I couldn't see spending almost $300 for a phone that wasn't supporting standards that had been out for 2+ years now.

Overall I really like the phone but I have noticed that it tends to be sluggish at times and not as responsive as my 920 was. (before it died a horrible death) I don't know if its because they only put 1GB of ram in it and then 8GB of space for the OS to run in. (Sheesh can't believe i'm saying 'only' 8GB)
Sadly it does not support 5GHz wireless, nor does it support 4G cell but instead LTE which is the precursor to 4G and not as quick.

The fact that it has a removable battery and an microsd slot are two big pluses that I had wished for my 920.
The cover is plastic which does tend to give it a cheaper feel.. I really liked the heft of my 920. It really felt like a world class phone not some piece of plastic junk. The 640 feels a bit slippery and has slipped from my hands a few times. So you do have to be a bit careful when your holding it. Its much lighter than my 920. It does not have wireless charging which is a huge minus. (Microsoft you better not drop wireless charging!!) The camera functions as good as my 920 did. I haven't tested in low light because I really haven't had a reason and i'm not a photobug.. Its supposed to be a slightly better camera. The cost was only $80 with no contract so that's a big plus for it. Of course if it had the 5ghz support and more memory (4GB and then 16-32 for storage) I could have seen paying more for it and I would have been fine with that. But without those no I cant see spending a lot of this or the xl variant. Its very easy to read in sunlight, much like the 920.
So overall I'm happy.

Recently I upgraded the phone to windows 10 mobile. (yes its beta) And I like it for the most part. Its slightly more sluggish at times. (more noticeable now) and the email changes I really really don't like. (no more single folder for your email!! WTH!!) Other things work nice on the phone though and I'm very impressed with it. I haven't had any of the random reboot issues others have experienced.

Muhammad Ali30

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I have bought Lumia 640 XL about 1.5 months back.. this is my 2nd windows phone and 4th smart phone (used 1 android 4.2 and using 1 Android 2.3 as second phone). Windows phones, overall, are very stable, have better battery time and do not have hanging problem. My lumia 640 xl has not given me any problems, whatsoever, till date. I am using many apps and games on the phone without any difficulty, including Candy Crush, Subway surfers, Asphalt Overdrive, 2048, Checkers etc. I am using it with continuous WiFi, 2 emails syncing every 30 minutes, viber, whatsapp, skype and line messenger. Using Facebook app and messenger also. For the diet conscious people, it also has the sensor core, which counts ur steps and hence calculates calories burnt and u can feed in the food taken and it will declare the calories taken. EasyTransfer app helps u in sharing files between ur pc and phone over WiFi. I will rate it 10/10...

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've had my Lumina 640 XL for several months now, and I love it. I bought the dual sim variant, mostly because that was ll that was available at the time. I love the size, the OS, the camera... I just wish I could get all of the apps I have one my OnePlus 1 phone. I switch back and forth between the two every few days, but overall I really like the 640 better. It's just the lack of apps...

Duke111

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Have been looking here (and elsewhere) for my next phone (coming from an HTC Mini). Finally got the Lumia 640 XL and a 128 Gb Lexar Micro SD Card.
All I can say is... Brilliant. For what I need it worked out BY FAR the most value for money (more so than I could have hoped for).
I have spoken to a guy at work who was anti Windows from a few years ago. Showed him mine and he bought one the next day and loves it.

For me I needed...
Big Screen.
Big Storage (via SD Card is fine) for Music, Photos, Videos.
Good Cameras.
Removable Battery (ability to have a swappable spare if needed).
Over a Day's Battery Life.
Good Telephone conversation quality.
4G LTE
Decent Music Quality Playback.
Sturdy Construction.
Good Visibility in daylight.
Email.
Browsing.
Texting
FM Radio
Off Line Maps

I am more than impressed. Brilliant Device.

Shahzone

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Here my device

Just installed latest Windows 10 technical preview.

Great looking device so far especially the price I payed around ?156 pounds. 82079.jpg

P.S sorry about the pic forgot to take in landscape that's why it came out like this
Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I have install and unsinstall Win 10 two times, but finally decided to go back to 8.1 (10166 in july and 10536 one week ago)
The last version is not too bad but still not fully optimized (i.e. battery drain very quickly in 5 to 6 hours, Slower than 8.1, still cannot store map on sd card, etc...)
To reverse to 8.1 is not too bad by using Windows Phone Recovery Tool, plugging the phone to the pc and restoring data and profile from your microsoft loggin.
see the link bellow from wiki, it give a good pictures of the progress made on the insider version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
need help how to intall window phone 10 on lumia 640 xl and is it good or bad with problems??
I had too many problems with 10166 but have been OK with 10536 since it was released. There is some lag after a while with many apps. I may try to do a hard reset. I don't think I will go back to 8.1 update 2 again though.
cheers

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I had too many problems with 10166 but have been OK with 10536 since it was released. There is some lag after a while with many apps. I may try to do a hard reset. I don't think I will go back to 8.1 update 2 again though.
cheers

How is the battery life on 10536?
Is it safe for daily use? How many restarts can we expect?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
How is the battery life on 10536?
Is it safe for daily use? How many restarts can we expect?
It's about 25% reduced on average for me compared to 8.1 Update 2 on which the phone lasted 2days without charging. I am often using the phone to listen to music and there is definitely an increased battery usage on groove music. If I use groove for a few hours I find noticable discharge. Hopefully that will be addressed with future builds.

vickyirs

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I just booked 640 XL LTE Dual Sim (new launch in India) in a Microsoft shop. Awaiting delivery this weekend. I'm completely new to windows mobile. Moving from Android Lollipop. Excited and fingers crossed.

cjslman

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I got a 640 XL about 3 weeks ago (I had a previous nice brief experience with a 520). My one of my purposes was to have a backup phone for the family in case one was needed (fortunately, it's never been needed). The other reason was to experiment with it and try to use it as a computer replacement for a reasonable price (currently looking for a bluetooth keyboard that works it the 640 XL). So far, my only gripe is that it seems that the screen isn't as sensitive as I would expected (sometimes I have to poke it a couple of times to get results).
CJSL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro