Storage issues on my Lumia 640 XL

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi there I recently got my Lumia 640XL and I have already ran out of storage (on the phone I've an additional 4GB on a temp sd card until I get a larger one) I noticed that system files are taking the lions share of storage followed by 2.0GB apps and games (I also have apps installed to SD) and I am wondering why?
I had the Nokia Lumia 520 with the same 4GB memory card and I never got the storage warning. I have upload to OneDrive on and I am still coming up short space wise.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150823_0001.png
    wp_ss_20150823_0001.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 12
  • wp_ss_20150823_0002.png
    wp_ss_20150823_0002.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 12

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
That screenshot is after I cleared some storage 1GB is far too small still and I cant install some games and apps to SD card.

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I guess your best bet is to get a huge SD card, I have a L640XL too, I have no problems on my additional 1.8Gb SD card xD. What's the secret? I have no games and I only have a handful of apps only 😁

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
With each new updates system files have gone larger since WP 8,and so do most of the apps with new updates and features.. Besides they say it's 8 GB but it's actually 6.94 GB s to start with.. The plus is you can store most of the apps on Sd card..

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'll be getting a bigger sd card bit for the time being ill let my games be at a minimum. Suppose there is now way of clearing some more space as I have cleared enough for now.

Ita Chi

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have got a Class 10 32gigs memory card on my Lumia 640xl. I have transferred all my apps on the card and I have some 2gigs of space left in the phone storage. The phone's working pretty well on these settings. :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have got a Class 10 32gigs memory card on my Lumia 640xl. I have transferred all my apps on the card and I have some 2gigs of space left in the phone storage. The phone's working pretty well on these settings. :)

Wow that's a really small amount of storage on the main phone. Can I ask how much was your sd card and does it work really well?

Ita Chi

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's a really small amount of storage on the main phone. Can I ask how much was your sd card and does it work really well?
Well , considering our phone has 8gigs of storage , and the system takes almost 3.60gb space , 2.5 gigs of free space isn't that bad. XD i have all my data stored on memory card so i never worry about the phone memory. And i use the Samsung evo 32gigs memory card. Got it for nearly $12 i guess..

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well , considering our phone has 8gigs of storage , and the system takes almost 3.60gb space , 2.5 gigs of free space isn't that bad. XD i have all my data stored on memory card so i never worry about the phone memory. And i use the Samsung evo 32gigs memory card. Got it for nearly $12 i guess..

Omg that is an absolute steal for a class 10. Wow amazing buy!! Yes all I need is a bigger memory card so like I suppose if your able to use the phone without the dreaded storage low coming up then that's the way I need to go. As I have onedrive for my pics and video I don't have much media on my phone as I also have music saved on my OneDrive. I seriously cannot get over the price of the SD card though. :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Oh I forgot to ask how did you get ALL your apps to install to SD as some apps cant be installed to SD. Is it because I have a smaller storage on the SD on the phone currently or does having a larger storage ensure 100% apps to install to SD.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Found it on ebay thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction for the best SD card. Its about ?12 here so roughly the same price you paid. Thank you 😊

Ita Chi

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh I forgot to ask how did you get ALL your apps to install to SD as some apps cant be installed to SD. Is it because I have a smaller storage on the SD on the phone currently or does having a larger storage ensure 100% apps to install to SD.

Not every app actually.. Some of them get stored on the phone. That's why i have 2.5gigs free . Otherwise , it would have been more. :p and I have data( apps , heavy games , pics and videos ) of almost 13gigs on my sd card right now.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Not every app actually.. Some of them get stored on the phone. That's why i have 2.5gigs free . Otherwise , it would have been more. :p and I have data( apps , heavy games , pics and videos ) of almost 13gigs on my sd card right now.

That's great though to have 2GB on the phone is excellent and as u are a heavy game user that's a good selling point for me to buy the SD card now rather then waiting to buy one down the road. Thanks so much for your advise.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
the phone does not give you a choice for the one which have to be install on the phone, there is not a lot

View attachment 111000View attachment 111001View attachment 111002View attachment 111003View attachment 111004View attachment 111005

I can understand that some apps need to be rooted to the phone directory as they "say" it would perform better but as you both use class 10 cards with high speed data then the apps would be just as good on sd. Do you think we will ever have 100% sd card support for full installs?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99