Is glance screen a half bake product shipped with lumia 640xl?

rgis1369

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Guys why I can't set weather on glance screen in my Lumia 640XL, I can't even set a background pic :) will anyone of you answer my questions?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with mine I think that we got basic glance as I've tried everything to get weather on my glance, it don't seem to work. Maybe with windows phone 10 might add further glance features to our phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a hardware thing apparently.

It has enough display memory (unlike the none in some devices, etc) to run the basic glance features but not the advanced stuff like weather, wallpaper...

That's just how it is. Why? Probably one small measure to save money in this budget phone.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It's a hardware thing apparently.

It has enough display memory (unlike the none in some devices, etc) to run the basic glance features but not the advanced stuff like weather, wallpaper...

That's just how it is. Why? Probably one small measure to save money in this budget phone.

Its not a huge issue for me though. There are more then enough features on the phone that makes me happy.

rgis1369

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
If that was the case Microsoft should had mentioned it bcz i replaced my 730 with 640xl bcz it had glance, big screen + 13mp camera. I Wasted my hard money

830 could have been better upgrade for my 730 rather than 640XL

Btw thanks all for the help :) goodnite

Last edited by a moderator:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If that was the case Microsoft should had mentioned it bcz i replaced my 730 with 640xl bcz it had glance, big screen + 13mp camera. I Wasted my hard money

They're not going to say every single difference in the phone. I wouldn't unless explicitly asked.

And besides, you're coming from the 730 which had no glance. Are you saying that not having the complete glance package means the rest of the phone is worthless?

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't have that so called full glance screen either, but,I don't miss it, as a matter fact I don't even use it.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have glance in my old Lumia 520 and I was in envy to hear about glance now I have the 640XL with a "diluted" version of glance I really am kicking myself for being envious of glance its a pile of rubbish, I have seen youtube videos of the "full" glance and it really fails to impress. Nice to have it but the 13MP carl zeiss camera is waaaay better lol

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
The glance screen with the time is more than enough for me. I do not want to be interrupt anyway by the phone all the time to tell me that I have received email (spams most of the time) or what ever. I just want to make sure than the phone not going to dictateme what I need to to do, after all it is only a phone with good smartphone capability. also the lock screen can give me a large number of information before to decide to unlock (if I wish too) and see what's going one:
by the way I am very impressed by the quiet hours, I can sleep :wink:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The glance screen with the time is more than enough for me. I do not want to be interrupt anyway by the phone all the time to tell me that I have received email (spams most of the time) or what ever. I just want to make sure than the phone not going to dictateme what I need to to do, after all it is only a phone with good smartphone capability. also the lock screen can give me a large number of information before to decide to unlock (if I wish too) and see what's going one:

by the way I am very impressed by the quiet hours, I can sleep :wink:

Oh yes quiet hours are a godsend I like the colour choices you have mine is currently set to blue.

rgis1369

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
They're not going to say every single difference in the phone. I wouldn't unless explicitly asked.

And besides, you're coming from the 730 which had no glance. Are you saying that not having the complete glance package means the rest of the phone is worthless?

Are u noob?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
btw. I always wondered where your quote comes from. I cannot find anything when I google/bing it. Curious as I am a researcher at the AF....

The one I know goes like this : "Give me enough power and I can fly a barn door." Paul E. Richter Jr.
cheers

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
btw. I always wondered where your quote comes from. I cannot find anything when I google/bing it. Curious as I am a researcher at the AF....

The one I know goes like this : "Give me enough power and I can fly a barn door." Paul E. Richter Jr.
cheers

Its something a member had as his signature over at 1src or Brighthand - one of those from my many days as a Palm OS fan. I think he once helped me with a damaged Tungsten T2. (it was toast though)

I always liked the blurb and since attributed it to him.

raspabalsa | Brighthand.com - SmartPhone and PDA Discussion

I'm a fan of his avatar too, its been the same for a while now. Mad respects to whoever knows what it is/where its from.

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Glance screen is a good feature and I like it.
I am yet to test it longer to see if it really drains the battery or not (when always on).

I have one suggestion to Microsoft, to me would be better if there is a toggle option to show Glance screen only when there is missed call/message/notification. :wink:
I miss the simple led notification lights :straight:

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
This morning I picked up the phone after the phone alarm went off on time and waved my hand in front of it and it showed me the time and a dental appointment this morning and a small sun (which is presume is the weather --it's always sunny in Phoenix ).

What else < should > it do?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
This morning I picked up the phone after the phone alarm went off on time and waved my hand in front of it and it showed me the time and a dental appointment this morning and a small sun (which is presume is the weather --it's always sunny in Phoenix ).

What else < should > it do?

Can I ask what weather app are you using? How did you get the sun icon on your glance?

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Settings / Personalization / Lock Screen / Choose apps to show quick status / click a plus sign or icon ( if any present ) and then choose the app(s) you want to show quick status. Dunno why but they have these glance screen options under Lock Screen and don't seperate them out and tell you that is for the glance screen. Looks like a big bug to me. Oh just realized they said " choose the app you want to show quick status instead of saying " choose the app you want to display on glance screen. Still a bug because they changed terminology.

As for the weather it is just the Microsoft Weather app. I don't remember now if it came on the phone or if I downloaded it from the store. But it's nothing fancy ... just the plain jane Microsoft Weather app. But you do have to chose it to display in the place I just typed about. You have up to 5 apps that can be told to display on glance screen ( quick status ) and you have to choose a / the weather app for it to work.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Arizona Willie,

I think you might be referring to a different setting. I don't have a 640 XL with me yet (setting up a 640 for my mother a few days ago is what brought me here). I am looking at the Glance settings on my old Lumia 820. Under the section for what content to display, I have the option for date, detailed status notification, quick status notifications, and background app.

My understanding is that this thread is discussing the lack of the background app displaying on the glance screen whereas you are talking about successfully displaying the quick status information. On your 640 XL, does the glance screen have all four of those options for content?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium