Is glance screen a half bake product shipped with lumia 640xl?

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
poit57, sorry, I didn't realize you didn't have a 640XL and presumed all discussions in this forum were about that phone since that is the name of the forum.

When you got to Settings / Lock screen you have the option to choose your background picture and to choose an app to show detailed status and then a place to choose apps to show quick status and then you can set the screen time out. Think that is it for the lock screen.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
It's about energy saving.

The 640xl's screen is LCD, not AMOLED, so it really turns on all the way, thus consuming more energy.
Sent via Lumia 640XL

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I did look this up. It's a hardware issue on the 640's. Don't ask where I found it. Of course that was after playing with the old Glance Screen Background app.

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Setting the weather app doesn't work. You are only seeing the icon of the app. I set this and it was always sunny here in MA but the actual weather was cloudy or we had rain.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, that's hard to tell here in Phoenix where it is sunny 360 days a year.
I saw the sun icon and figured that was the weather thing but never gave a thought to whether it was working or not because it is always sunny. Most rain here seems to happen in the late afternoon / evening / night time. Daytime rain is rare.
I'll watch the icon and perhaps choose a different weather app ( if there is another one for Windows phones ) and see if that one works.
Thanks for the info.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My 640 XL came in last night, and I was able to confirm what I suspected in my previous post. Due to the differences in hardware, the Glance Screen settings have fewer options on the 640 phones than the phones with "full" glance. I've attached photos of the settings side-by-side with the resulting glance screen for my 820 compared to my 640 XL. Note the options under the "Content" header.

Attachments

• 820.png
    820.png
    600.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 640.png
    640.png
    818.6 KB · Views: 4

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I have also noticed the same thing - my 1520 has the detailed Glance screen while my 640XL does not and the settings are different too. I thought eventually a firmware update would bring all these small things. But what do I know?

Hey! Also! Love that pic on the 640XL screen!!! Can you share? Thanks! :smile:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
What OS do you have on your phone?
Under W10 on my Lumia 640 XL there is no Glance Screen screen like you show.
Glance screen may be installed on your phone but it doesn't show up under extras. That is a known issue with w10m. To get around that you can use sysapp pusher and install the app from within that app. once installed you can only open it the same way. Sysapp pusher will get the link to the store and open store. if you wait a little bit in the store app, you will see the option "open". once you tap that you have access to Glance screen and its settings. But as others have said - the options are limited.
to get a permanent icon (kinda) for Glance screen you can follow my guide here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nce-screen-windows-10-mobile.html#post3213915

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
To me the real world usefulness of glance screen is marginal, especially if you have it set to turn off in a few minutes. Glance and Tap To Wake features are both, in my opinion, not really gimmickry, but more redundant than anything else.

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
To me the real world usefulness of glance screen is marginal, especially if you have it set to turn off in a few minutes. Glance and Tap To Wake features are both, in my opinion, not really gimmickry, but more redundant than anything else.
Yes indeed. The most important thing for me is to be able to get a good network connection and be able to comfortably receive call and manage my email and social media apps. anything else is a bonus :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss