09-07-2015 02:28 PM
32 12
tools
    Guys why I can't set weather on glance screen in my Lumia 640XL, I can't even set a background pic :) will anyone of you answer my questions?
    08-27-2015 12:45 PM
    It's fully functional on my L1520.
    Maybe you didn't apply the right settings in 'settings' >'Glance screen'?
    08-27-2015 12:57 PM
    I have the same issue with mine I think that we got basic glance as I've tried everything to get weather on my glance, it don't seem to work. Maybe with windows phone 10 might add further glance features to our phone.
    08-27-2015 12:59 PM
    It's a hardware thing apparently.

It has enough display memory (unlike the none in some devices, etc) to run the basic glance features but not the advanced stuff like weather, wallpaper...

That's just how it is. Why? Probably one small measure to save money in this budget phone.
    08-27-2015 01:12 PM
    It's a hardware thing apparently.

It has enough display memory (unlike the none in some devices, etc) to run the basic glance features but not the advanced stuff like weather, wallpaper...

That's just how it is. Why? Probably one small measure to save money in this budget phone.

Its not a huge issue for me though. There are more then enough features on the phone that makes me happy.
    08-27-2015 01:28 PM
    If that was the case Microsoft should had mentioned it bcz i replaced my 730 with 640xl bcz it had glance, big screen + 13mp camera. I Wasted my hard money

830 could have been better upgrade for my 730 rather than 640XL

Btw thanks all for the help :) goodnite
    Last edited by Guytronic; 08-29-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    08-27-2015 02:06 PM
    If that was the case Microsoft should had mentioned it bcz i replaced my 730 with 640xl bcz it had glance, big screen + 13mp camera. I Wasted my hard money
    They're not going to say every single difference in the phone. I wouldn't unless explicitly asked.

And besides, you're coming from the 730 which had no glance. Are you saying that not having the complete glance package means the rest of the phone is worthless?
    08-27-2015 02:45 PM
    Don't have that so called full glance screen either, but,I don't miss it, as a matter fact I don't even use it.
    08-27-2015 03:03 PM
    I didn't have glance in my old Lumia 520 and I was in envy to hear about glance now I have the 640XL with a "diluted" version of glance I really am kicking myself for being envious of glance its a pile of rubbish, I have seen youtube videos of the "full" glance and it really fails to impress. Nice to have it but the 13MP carl zeiss camera is waaaay better lol
    08-27-2015 03:22 PM
    The glance screen with the time is more than enough for me. I do not want to be interrupt anyway by the phone all the time to tell me that I have received email (spams most of the time) or what ever. I just want to make sure than the phone not going to dictateme what I need to to do, after all it is only a phone with good smartphone capability. also the lock screen can give me a large number of information before to decide to unlock (if I wish too) and see what's going one:
    by the way I am very impressed by the quiet hours, I can sleep
    libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2015 03:34 PM
    The glance screen with the time is more than enough for me. I do not want to be interrupt anyway by the phone all the time to tell me that I have received email (spams most of the time) or what ever. I just want to make sure than the phone not going to dictateme what I need to to do, after all it is only a phone with good smartphone capability. also the lock screen can give me a large number of information before to decide to unlock (if I wish too) and see what's going one:

by the way I am very impressed by the quiet hours, I can sleep

Oh yes quiet hours are a godsend I like the colour choices you have mine is currently set to blue.
    08-27-2015 03:52 PM
    They're not going to say every single difference in the phone. I wouldn't unless explicitly asked.

And besides, you're coming from the 730 which had no glance. Are you saying that not having the complete glance package means the rest of the phone is worthless?
    Are u noob?
    08-29-2015 11:12 PM
    Are u noob?
    hahaha_no.gif
    08-30-2015 12:18 PM
    btw. I always wondered where your quote comes from. I cannot find anything when I google/bing it. Curious as I am a researcher at the AF....

The one I know goes like this : "Give me enough power and I can fly a barn door." Paul E. Richter Jr.
    cheers
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 08-30-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    08-30-2015 05:54 PM
    btw. I always wondered where your quote comes from. I cannot find anything when I google/bing it. Curious as I am a researcher at the AF....

The one I know goes like this : "Give me enough power and I can fly a barn door." Paul E. Richter Jr.
    cheers
    Its something a member had as his signature over at 1src or Brighthand - one of those from my many days as a Palm OS fan. I think he once helped me with a damaged Tungsten T2. (it was toast though)

I always liked the blurb and since attributed it to him.

raspabalsa | Brighthand.com - SmartPhone and PDA Discussion

I'm a fan of his avatar too, its been the same for a while now. Mad respects to whoever knows what it is/where its from.
    08-30-2015 09:22 PM
    Glance screen is a good feature and I like it.
    I am yet to test it longer to see if it really drains the battery or not (when always on).

I have one suggestion to Microsoft, to me would be better if there is a toggle option to show Glance screen only when there is missed call/message/notification.
    I miss the simple led notification lights
    08-31-2015 12:34 AM
    This morning I picked up the phone after the phone alarm went off on time and waved my hand in front of it and it showed me the time and a dental appointment this morning and a small sun (which is presume is the weather --it's always sunny in Phoenix ).

What else < should > it do?
    08-31-2015 03:32 PM
    This morning I picked up the phone after the phone alarm went off on time and waved my hand in front of it and it showed me the time and a dental appointment this morning and a small sun (which is presume is the weather --it's always sunny in Phoenix ).

What else < should > it do?

Can I ask what weather app are you using? How did you get the sun icon on your glance?
    08-31-2015 08:49 PM
    Settings / Personalization / Lock Screen / Choose apps to show quick status / click a plus sign or icon ( if any present ) and then choose the app(s) you want to show quick status. Dunno why but they have these glance screen options under Lock Screen and don't seperate them out and tell you that is for the glance screen. Looks like a big bug to me. Oh just realized they said " choose the app you want to show quick status instead of saying " choose the app you want to display on glance screen. Still a bug because they changed terminology.

As for the weather it is just the Microsoft Weather app. I don't remember now if it came on the phone or if I downloaded it from the store. But it's nothing fancy ... just the plain jane Microsoft Weather app. But you do have to chose it to display in the place I just typed about. You have up to 5 apps that can be told to display on glance screen ( quick status ) and you have to choose a / the weather app for it to work.
    libra89 and djeire84 like this.
    09-01-2015 11:40 AM
    Arizona Willie,

I think you might be referring to a different setting. I don't have a 640 XL with me yet (setting up a 640 for my mother a few days ago is what brought me here). I am looking at the Glance settings on my old Lumia 820. Under the section for what content to display, I have the option for date, detailed status notification, quick status notifications, and background app.

My understanding is that this thread is discussing the lack of the background app displaying on the glance screen whereas you are talking about successfully displaying the quick status information. On your 640 XL, does the glance screen have all four of those options for content?
    09-01-2015 02:35 PM
    poit57, sorry, I didn't realize you didn't have a 640XL and presumed all discussions in this forum were about that phone since that is the name of the forum.

When you got to Settings / Lock screen you have the option to choose your background picture and to choose an app to show detailed status and then a place to choose apps to show quick status and then you can set the screen time out. Think that is it for the lock screen.
    09-01-2015 03:38 PM
    It's about energy saving.

The 640xl's screen is LCD, not AMOLED, so it really turns on all the way, thus consuming more energy.
    Sent via Lumia 640XL
    09-01-2015 08:05 PM
    I did look this up. It's a hardware issue on the 640's. Don't ask where I found it. Of course that was after playing with the old Glance Screen Background app.
    09-01-2015 08:23 PM
    Setting the weather app doesn't work. You are only seeing the icon of the app. I set this and it was always sunny here in MA but the actual weather was cloudy or we had rain.
    Arizona Willie likes this.
    09-02-2015 08:51 AM
    Well, that's hard to tell here in Phoenix where it is sunny 360 days a year.
    I saw the sun icon and figured that was the weather thing but never gave a thought to whether it was working or not because it is always sunny. Most rain here seems to happen in the late afternoon / evening / night time. Daytime rain is rare.
    I'll watch the icon and perhaps choose a different weather app ( if there is another one for Windows phones ) and see if that one works.
    Thanks for the info.
    09-02-2015 09:18 AM
32 12