Lumia Journey - From Android to Lumia... and back!

outofmemory

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
So, long time lurker, first time post. Need to get this off my chest as I've had a bit of a nightmare couple of weeks, largely in part due to the worlds unwillingness to accept Windows Phones. Let me start by saying I have been using windows phone since 2012 or so when my android device was stolen. So I started with a lumia 510 (i think!) and have had five or six different Lumias since, including the L800 which was one of the best IMO.

So why am I here? To rant. For the past year I have been using the Lumia 735. It was fast, great specs - brilliant camera. One of my favourite phones. Then it developed a fault. The earphone jack started cutting in/out when headphones plugged in. Rather annoying.

I am on contract, so I figured it could be repaired as I had only had the phone for less than a year. Sure enough, they attempted a repair, but it didn't fix the issue. So I sent it off again, but this time, was told would get a replacement.

Here's the problem. They had no Lumias to replace it with. Not at a similar spec, since the 735 has really good features for it's price point. I was offered lower spec lumias which I refused, due largely in part to I would still have to be paying for the 735 on contract. And then I was offered an android phone. :shocked:

Here me out, I almost thought to hell with this Windows Mobile malarkey and went straight back to android. But I knew how bad it could be. How slow it can be.

But I took the android. A Samsung A3. Has good specs. I died a little bit inside that day.

I still do not have the A3, as it is on the way to me. I was pretty annoyed that my contract repair centre could not offer a like-for-like Lumia swap.I still don't really understand why they could not have just sent me a new phone out, rather than a 'refurbished as new A3'. So what happened next?

I was browsing ebay and somebody had a month or so old 640 XL for sale. I placed a bid and really didn't expect to win, but I won! For ?130 or so! It came the next day and here I am - it came with a official flip case as well so I grabbed a bargain!

It's a nice phone. Better than the 735? Time will tell.I haven't put W10 on it yet, as I find W10 incredibly buggy. At least it was on the 735!

The moral is... apparently Lumias aren't something the world has latched onto yet. A bit frustrating this whole experience and I now have to try and sell a Samsung A3!

Thanks for reading. Wish me luck.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The A3 is a damn good looking phone, and spec-wise it's pretty close to the 640 XL. Windows phone definitely runs better on lower end hardware like this though, so the 640 XL should give you a better experience. 1 or 1.5Gb of ram(not sure which exact A3 you have) isn't enough to smoothly push the bloat of TouchWiz.

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the fence about the whole Windows vs. Android thing. On the one hand, I prefer the WP experience and love the interface. On the other hand, Android is SO much better integrated into the real world. So, I switch back and forth from my One +1 and my Lumina 640XL. In many ways, the 640 XL is the superior device. Despite being a lower resolution screen, I actually prefer it and find it brighter, even outdoors. And the camera... it's much better, even though it has a "lower" resolution. In short, I think you'll be very happy with the 640 XL... now, if I could only figure out which OS I prefer.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully with Astoria, many Android apps will jump to WP or at least be runnable on WP so it will become "more integrated into the real world" as you put it. Apps to me as the biggest issue for users who move to the platform and Microsoft's efforts to bring iOS and Android apps to the platform should help. Should. Time will tell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3