So 1020 now retired ( as wifi point and shoot), 640 XL daily driver...surprise I'm impressed!!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I took the plunge and hit the Microsoft Store at Square One and after a long humm and haw, I plunked down my money on an Unlocked 640 XL White....with a Cyan Flip Cover/Back....almost as Sexy as the Young Lady who sold me the Phone...sorry I am used to dealing with tech nerds.

So after just a few hours, I can say I am not going to miss my 1020, as due to failing eye sight the bigger screen is a blessing to me!!!! The screen for a budget phone is very very good even at the lower rez and pixel count. Color me impressed !!!!!

Added bonus that was not in the reviews on the Microsoft Website......Living Images available to the 640 XL....the 1020 didn't get it.

As for sound output to earbuds, the 640 XL blasts my music the way I like ( my ears are a little sore even), the poor 1020 for all it's joys was never a blow you away device with the music!!! It was good but the 640 XL' bass and treble are miles better !!!!! I am going to guess bigger battery plays a role here as there is more juice available to the sound chips.

I still have alot to finish up adding to the 640 XL, but so far I would say you get more bang for the buck on this budget device then with the full bells and whistles on the 1020. I surprise myself saying this as I was die hard Flagship only guy before today.

So far so good oh and I did test for video playback quality from SD with Arrow S1E1 and BBC Sherlock S1E1 both HD and both looked awesome !!!!!!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I got mine from square one a few days ago! I'm glad your liking it also .

I thought it was funny that they had The Band 2 on display flanked on either side by 640 XLs. I have to say after seeing The Band 2 for real now, I am justified in my not wanting it!!!!!!

For it to be of any use the display has to be inside wrist, leaving a huge lump on the outside of your wrist at the clasp. It a huge lump where a Watch would be, but it's just plastic and metal that looks like an eyesore.

However I went off topic....the phone just keeps on impressing me...Hot spot goes active so much faster then the 1020...I was shocked how quick the wifi jumps to life to serve up the data!!!!!

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I just wish M$ would make the wireless charging rear cover...I bought the 640XL as well...I saved $50 and bought the ATT version which I am unlocking since apart from that it is my understanding those 2 versions are identical...bands are listed as the same on microsoft store website

I am just waiting for my case and screen protector to come in and I'll start using it

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just wish M$ would make the wireless charging rear cover...I bought the 640XL as well...I saved $50 and bought the ATT version which I am unlocking since apart from that it is my understanding those 2 versions are identical...bands are listed as the same on microsoft store website

I am just waiting for my case and screen protector to come in and I'll start using it

I heard the 920's charging coil could be rigged up to work for the 640 XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos