New to Lumia phones

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Just purchased the Lumia 640XL for 200?. Maybe a little history before I start to ask questions? I am without doubt addicted to technology! I own at present the Samsung Galaxy S6 also the S6 Edge Plus, Iphone 6S, Sony Xperia z ultra and the Z2. Its been a busy mobile phone year!
I have always used and preferred the Windows OS in terms of desk top also Lap tops and other portables but this is my first modern Windows phone since the days of the HTC whatever it was?
I didn't need a new phone (surprise) but wanted to try a windows phone especially after purchasing this year the spectacular Surface 3 hybrid tablet.
My initial impressions of the Lumia are nearly all good. I think considering my SG S6 Edge+ cost 800? the Lumia actually does rather too well against the Samsung! Sure the Samsung is 'superior' in nearly every aspect from materials, build quality, functionality, hardware, software BUT the Samsung is 4 times the cost! In terms of speed and smoothness of daily use I cannot fault this Lumia. I am very surprised also impressed.
Coming from a Windows background I thought I would be able to use the Lumia without the learning curve between say, the Android and Apple OS. Not the case. I have been having all sorts of nice fun trying to work out how this little marvel operates and how to set it up to my requirements.

One rather odd question. When I change Android or Apple mobiles I can transfer all the data and settings from my Lap top to my new mobile device just by logging in to my Windows account. Am I correct in saying on the Lumia there is no Chrome browser? I cannot even find a browser as such on the Lumia and the search engine is Bing that I don't like.
I have around 200 bookmarks and need to know how I transfer them from my Windows Lap top account to the Lumia?

Soon as I started 'set up' the Lumia installed 8.1 version 2 Denim OS. Am I also incorrect to think that windows mobile phone 10 is long out and should have been a download option? My Lumia is operator free, not contract.

My impression of the Lumia is its a fantastic mobile for the asking price. Sure it doesn't have the latest and greatest specification BUT that, to date, has not stopped this mobile from flying. I am also surprised at the high quality of such a medium screen resolution mobile? Microsoft are to be congratulated on producing a decent mobile. I am praying I am able to use Windows 10 and Chrome or Explorer will be available and I can some how download all my bookmarks.

Nice to be among fellow Microsoft owners. I have an awful lot to learn from you guys and galls. One willing student here to learn!

Kindest regards, Ryland

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
10 is not yet available for phones as official update, expect it at December. Or try preview.
Chrome is not available om Windows phone store. Try moving your bookmarks to internet explorer and sync them woth your phone.

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply. I don't use explorer on my lap top it was removed with this latest update? I am left with Chrome and Edge that I have never used. Any suggestions how I get around this? many thanks.

Ryland

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
First, welcome to the site and the Windows Central forums!

As Dusan mentioned above, Windows 10 Mobile hasn't been released officially yet, but we are expecting it very soon. (again, as Dusan said, sometime next month). He is also correct about Chrome, and his suggestion for the bookmarks is spot on.

There are many of us here, who are running the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview. The latest build (10581) is very stable and quite suitable for daily use. Signing up for the Insider Program is easy. All it takes is a Microsoft account and an email address. Once you're signed up, you can download the Windows Insider app from the Store, and use it to configure your phone to receive pre-release builds of Windows 10 Mobile.

If you'd rather not do all that, don't worry, your 640XL will be among the first phones that will get the official update soon.

The 640XL is a mid-range (budget) phone. If you end up liking the OS, and want to get something with the high end specs, look for the Lumia 950 and 950XL being released later this month.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply. I don't use explorer on my lap top it was removed with this latest update? I am left with Chrome and Edge that I have never used. Any suggestions how I get around this? many thanks.

Ryland
Try importing your bookmarks into Edge? I don't use Chrome, so I can't help there, but I know Edge has an "import bookmarks" feature.

Joaquim Reis

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Wll, since the OP does not use w10 Mobile yet, importing bookmarks to edge would b? pointless.
BUT in my opinion, what he should do is get into insider program, install the TP (where he would get edge) qnd then, ok his laptop, import bookmarks to edge

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wll, since the OP does not use w10 Mobile yet, importing bookmarks to edge would b? pointless.
BUT in my opinion, what he should do is get into insider program, install the TP (where he would get edge) qnd then, ok his laptop, import bookmarks to edge
You're exactly right. I just noticed that lol I was thrown off by him saying that he had edge.

Yes, Edge is only available once you're on Win10!

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Install UC browser on lap.
Import bookmarks to UC from whatever browser you are using.
Make an account for syncing.
Sync.
Install UC on WP.
Sign in to sync.

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the kind replies. Very odd that iOS also Android sync with my lap top yet my Windows mobile phone doesn't? I think maybe Windows made a booboo there?
I will wait until the mobile is upgraded to Windows 10.
I have been 'playing with edge' and when I import my Chrome bookmarks from Chrome to Edge on Edge they come all jumbled up, IE I have my bookmarks numbered 1 to 200 or so On Edge number 1 is in the middle next to 100 and 133 etc? Most people I know dislike Chrome yet I have never had a single problem with it. I don't like the new Edge browser at all.
Its a learning curve and one I am enjoying. I must say this is real value for money. The screen is particularly good considering to price. Its also very smooth.

Regards, Ryland

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans