04-08-2016 08:37 AM
99 123 ...
tools
    I just ordered a Lumia 640 XL and I wanted to see how Windows 10 has been performing on it. For those who have installed it could you let me know how the experience has been with it?
    12-09-2015 08:30 AM
    There's some information here. (the earlier posts are long outdated though, read the last couple)
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ew-640-xl.html

Also worth reading threads for other models like the 640, 830 to get a better feel too.
    12-09-2015 09:00 AM
    There's some information here. (the earlier posts are long outdated though, read the last couple)
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ew-640-xl.html

Also worth reading threads for other models like the 640, 830 to get a better feel too.
    Awesome, thanks! I was reading through the main threads here and I only saw the one you linked. Figured I would ask for more updates than what were in the post.
    12-09-2015 09:08 AM
    Awesome, thanks! I was reading through the main threads here and I only saw the one you linked. Figured I would ask for more updates than what were in the post.
    12-09-2015 04:07 PM
    We have latest W10M on two 640s and two 640XLs. All happy campers.
    great experience for us.
    12-09-2015 04:28 PM
    We have latest W10M on two 640s and two 640XLs. All happy campers.
    great experience for us.
    Awesome to here, any pointers for when I do the upgrade? I read that I should do a hard reset after the update. Is that correct?
    12-09-2015 06:10 PM
    a hard reset is recommended but not a requirement. Especially with some of the earlier builds it was definitely helping.
    as to your question when to upgrade that is entirely up to you. we are pretty close to an official release of W10M that you might as well just wait for that.

cheers
    12-09-2015 06:50 PM
    I would absolutely do a hard reset once 10 is installed, then don't do a restore, start from scratch (yeah, sucks). Then let every app update/install before you launch or setup anything. Make sure update from the store before you do ANYTHING else.

In my experience this gives the best experience without having random issues like glance screen controls missing etc.
    Raymond George likes this.
    12-10-2015 10:38 PM
    I am with W10 for some days. Hard reset was a must. My battery was a disaster.

After the hard reset everything seems fine to me. The phone menu is a bit slower and the glance screen wont show date. I am happy with the look and feel of W10, to me it's better than W8.1
    So far nasty messenger waiting for network problem is gone.

EDIT: Just got an update for the glance screen and now It can show the date too.
    Last edited by PlaymoBg; 12-11-2015 at 03:37 AM.
    12-11-2015 12:42 AM
    I would absolutely do a hard reset once 10 is installed, then don't do a restore
    I won't be restoring anything because it will be my first Windows Mobile device ever. Would I use my existing Microsoft account that I use on all my PC's to log in to the phone?
    12-11-2015 08:27 AM
    Just got an update for the glance screen and now It can show the date too.
    Nice, I was reading one of the main articles posted yesterday about updates. Sounds like Microsoft is going to put the phone OS on the same schedule as the PC OS for weekly updates. That to me sounds pretty awesome.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-11-2015 08:29 AM
    I won't be restoring anything because it will be my first Windows Mobile device ever. Would I use my existing Microsoft account that I use on all my PC's to log in to the phone?
    You should be able to, as long as it isn't a local account or so.
    12-11-2015 08:50 AM
    You should be able to, as long as it isn't a local account or so.
    No it's my regular Microsoft account not a local account.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-11-2015 08:52 AM
    Yes, use your normal Windows account login that you do for all of your accounts, it will link everything together that way.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-12-2015 05:07 PM
    I've been running Windows 10 for about a week & a half and did not do a hard reset. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues.

I do have a question though. In WP 8.1, I had the theme color set to crimson, a much darker red than the options that seem to be built into Windows 10. See the image below of my accent colors after the upgrade from WP8.1 to the Windows 10 preview. My selected color is at the end of the color options. If I were to reset my phone, would I be able to get this color back via restore, or would I be stuck with the built-in options?

When I tried a previous preview build a few months ago, I could not get the accent color I had been using, even after restoring settings from a previous backup. I don't really understand the decision to remove previously available colors in WP8.1 from the Windows 10 builds, but for me, losing your personal preference on customizing the phone's display setting would be one deterrent in performing a master reset after the upgrade.
    theme.png
    12-15-2015 10:18 AM
    I find the camera performance is not as good when I was on WP8.1.
    dimi516 and Alex Jong like this.
    12-16-2015 03:43 AM
    Does L640 on W10M have native call recording?
    12-16-2015 06:57 AM
    Does L640 on W10M have native call recording?
    At this time, no.

Whether that will change remains to be seen.
    12-16-2015 09:01 AM
    I also just picked up a 640 XL this week.
    really like it so far, would like to try Windows 10 on it.
    any easy ways to get it? or just wait for the official update?
    thanks
    12-16-2015 08:17 PM
    I also just picked up a 640 XL this week.
    really like it so far, would like to try Windows 10 on it.
    any easy ways to get it? or just wait for the official update?
    thanks
    easiest way to get it is by downloading windows insider app to your phone. sign up to get preview builds and enroll to fast or slow (likely more stable) builds.

next best option is to wait for official OTA beginning of 16, whatever that means - only MS knows.
    stulec52 and Prince Pusey like this.
    12-17-2015 04:00 PM
    Can't believe that no one say's anything abut camera!!!I own a 640xl and the only reason I went back to w8.1 is that sh**** camera...the quality is poor and it takes forever to see a photo when you take it...the "last touches" takes forever..BUT everything else works almost perfect.
    12-17-2015 04:16 PM
    Can't believe that no one say's anything abut camera!!!I own a 640xl and the only reason I went back to w8.1 is that sh**** camera...the quality is poor and it takes forever to see a photo when you take it...the "last touches" takes forever..BUT everything else works almost perfect.
    the camera works perfectly fine on two of our 640XL. Have you considered it may be your phone or your settings?
    Turn your living images or rich capture off and see if that helps. If you've done that then possibly do a hard reset. If you've done that also then it might be your phone. Living images is notorious for leaving your images in bad quality if you don't know it's on. My wife got headaches from that until we realized that it was on and that she either had a moving object or moved the camera after the click. The end product is a messed up image in the photo app.

This was taken on two prior builds (10581) and there was no post processing or resuming involved.
    wp_20151110_14_20_16_pro.jpg
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 12-17-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    libra89 and Prince Pusey like this.
    12-17-2015 04:23 PM
    the camera works perfectly fine on two of our 640XL. Have you considered it may be your phone or your settings?
    Turn your living images or rich capture off and see if that helps. If you've done that then possibly do a hard reset. If you've done that also then it might be your phone. Living images is notorious for leaving your images in bad quality if you don't know it's on. My wife got headaches from that until we realized that it was on and that she either had a moving object or moved the camera after the click. The end product is a messed up image in the photo app.

This was taken on two prior builds (10581) and there was no post processing or resuming involved.
    Click image for larger version.ย 

Name:	WP_20151110_14_20_16_Pro.jpgย 
Views:	42ย 
Size:	3.48 MBย 
ID:	119078

I've done everything..still takes forever to see the photo when you take one...if was a phone problem I think it want matter in what OS I'm taking the photo..I know though that everyone has different issues even its the same phone...i hope that's a problem that is going to be fix with official release,because everything else works fine.. it might be something about region or something(I'm in Greece).I don't know...excuse my English..
    12-17-2015 05:39 PM
    I don't take a lot of photos. When I do, I usually turn on rich capture because I like the option to choose the best lighting after the fact. I just snapped two quick photos to see the difference in how quickly they are available.

After taking the photo, both pulled up an image in less than a second with the "applying finishing touches" message, but the full image is still viewable while it does so. The photo without rich capture was done with the finishing touches in about a second while the photo with rich capture took about 8 seconds to process.
    Prince Pusey likes this.
    12-18-2015 08:08 AM
    I don't take a lot of photos. When I do, I usually turn on rich capture because I like the option to choose the best lighting after the fact. I just snapped two quick photos to see the difference in how quickly they are available.

After taking the photo, both pulled up an image in less than a second with the "applying finishing touches" message, but the full image is still viewable while it does so. The photo without rich capture was done with the finishing touches in about a second while the photo with rich capture took about 8 seconds to process.
    I installed Lumia camera on the phone(not in SD card) and now it takes about 5 seconds without rich capture and 12 seconds when it's on..before that I had to wait 20 seconds without rich capture!!!!now it's ok for me...and I am happy with my phone and w10 mobile..except Facebook of course!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜
    !!!IT SUCKS
    12-18-2015 12:23 PM
99 123 ...