Lumia 640XL as a replacement for Samsung Galaxy S4?

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

My sister is looking to get a new phone as her 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S4 is causing her nothing but problems and her experience with Android has not been a happy one. I let her play around with my Lumia 635 test phone running the newest build of Windows10 and she was interested by it so I'm trying to help her find a decent Windows phone that'll work for her. She's looking at a mid-range device as she's not interested in spending the money on an unlocked 950.

Has anyone gone from a S4 to a 640XL and can give me some impressions of it? I have never used anything besides the 635 yet myself so I don't want to steer her in the wrong direction. I have already talked about Apps and Windows has everything she uses except our banking App but that isn't a huge deal as the browser would be fine.

PS: She is with Telus in Canada, so any Canadians running the 640XL on that network I'd love to hear from you.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I came from Note 3 to the Lumia 640XL and I never look back. Overall it was a good experience on Windows 8.1. I'm currently running on the latest build for Windows 10 but have some issues especially those that are installed on the Sd Card which I never had on 8.1. One of them is the camera where it became unusable that I had to restart the phone in order to get it running again. But apart from that everything is great and like I said I never miss android after jumping on the Windows Phone train.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I came form android nexus 5, then to Lumia 635, which I liked, but wanted a bigger screen. My wife bought me a 640xl RM1096 unlocked from expansys, she didnt know there was other versions, but I'm glad she got this model, it supports tons of bands, dual sim and runs Windows 10 build 10586.36 perfectly. I have no issues with the camera or apps on my sd card, battery life is great too. She'll love it, go for it.

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback Alex! If she runs into any issues like that I'm sure I can sort them out for her.

No worries. Anyway from the other thread they suggest to leave the camera app on the device instead of moving it to the sd card. Just did that and so far haven't had any hiccups yet. :)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
For the price of a new 640XL you may as well get a mint unlocked 1520. Same price, inferior FFC (if that matters) but everything else is way better. Besides it runs WM10 without any hiccups.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
For the price of a new 640XL you may as well get a mint unlocked 1520. Same price, inferior FFC (if that matters) but everything else is way better. Besides it runs WM10 without any hiccups.
Don't forget, no removal battery on the 1520 if you buy an old one (which is possible due to its age) the battery maybe bad.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget, no removal battery on the 1520 if you buy an old one (which is possible due to its age) the battery maybe bad.
I've been using my 1520 for almost a year now that I bought used and it still has the longest lasting battery compared to any phone I've had. At least twice the life that the S4 I had would last. And my Nokia Icon doesn't come close either.

I've got unlimited data and steam YouTube and audio all day. It's the only phone that has made it past lunch time without plugging in.

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for all of the feedback everyone! :smile:

If anyone has any ideas where to find a 1520 RM-938 I'm all ears. I'm thinking if I was to buy one I would want this model as it has all the frequencies needed for Bell but also comes with built in Qi and 32GB rather than the 16GB and no Qi that the RM-940 model has (AT&T).

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for all of the feedback everyone! :smile:

If anyone has any ideas where to find a 1520 RM-938 I'm all ears. I'm thinking if I was to buy one I would want this model as it has all the frequencies needed for Bell but also comes with built in Qi and 32GB rather than the 16GB and no Qi that the RM-940 model has (AT&T).
Good luck with that quest. I looked high and low for a RM-938 to use on T-Mobile. All I could find were used ones that showed lots of signs of wear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte