640 XL will not update

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have had a problem getting my 640 XL to update since day one.

I have had to do a soft reset to get it to do an update.

I saw that 586.122 was being released to Slow Ring and I am on Fast Ring but had not been offered an update.

I am on 586.107.

Yesterday after I saw this, I did a Soft Reset twice but it still would not update so then I bit the bullet and did a Hard Reset and have spent several hours now putting things back because for some unknown reason Backup only backs up certain apps and will not Backup EVERYTHING.

Still cannot get 586.122.

Why has that version been released to Slow Ring but we can't get it on Fast Ring?

Is it that that version is not intended for the 640 series?

Or is that article about version 586.122 being released WRONG?

Also I have NEVER been able to get certain apps to update.

Lumia Help + Tips

Gestures and Touch

Rate your Device

Lumia Motion Data

have always refused to update no matter which version of the OS I was on.

They keep telling me there is an update but when I try to download them it asks if it can override my preferences ( to save to SD ) and I say ok but it does not good at all.

I have gone in and changed the preferences for Save Locations back to the main board instead of the SD but they still won't install.

Anyone else had that problem?

I wanted a Windows phone for compatibility and familiarity but all these problems make Android look pretty good.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Why would they push an update for Slow Ring but not Fast Ring.

The whole concept of Fast Ring is that they get updates FIRST not LAST.

I just don't understand that.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has switched the fast ring for the newer WM10 launch devices only, this is where the latest Redstone builds are being pushed. Redstone is the codename for the next Windows update for phones and desktop. The current codename is Threshold 2. For now they are leveraging the Slow and Release Preview rings to push additional updates to the older devices. The latest update pushed to that ring is the 10586.112 build (most likely the general availability build). In order to install it switch to one of those mentioned rings and the update should install.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
All the different builds and which ring which build is assigned to get confusing as hell.

Will they every consolidate them and just have one Windows 10 mobile build?

If someone buys a new phone that has W10 on it --- what version do THEY get? :)

I understand that even when the final release of W10 Mobile is out ... insiders will still get updates ahead of general release. At least I think that is what is supposed to happen.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
All the different builds and which ring which build is assigned to get confusing as hell.

I understand that even when the final release of W10 Mobile is out ... insiders will still get updates ahead of general release. At least I think that is what is supposed to happen.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The insider builds are not meant for non-enthusiasts to begin with anyways. Insiders who want to try these builds are supposed to be on track on what's changing and what's not, that is what differentiates them from others. People who bought WM10 devices would receive updates seamlessly without worrying about what is the current development branch vs what's being pushed out into the Redstone builds.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

They get the production build.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
My wifes 640 XL has not been getting any app updates. She is running .164 and so is my Moly X1. Neither of these phones are on insider builds. My Moly has received numerous app updates...my wifes has received zero since I upgraded it from 8.1 to 10. Anyone know why it is not receiving updates?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte