Not happy with the camera quality of lumia 640xl. Camera could have been better with 13MP.in other devices with same 13MP produces very good quality of images.
    Why the camera is so noisy in low light??
    SocratesG4 likes this.
    03-27-2016 02:42 AM
    Noise quality in images is affected by the nature and amplification of sensor signal. This signal is determined by the characteristics of the sensor, particularly the type and construction, such as the pixel pitch (how large the pixels are, not how many) - the smaller the pixel pitch the lesser sensitive the sensor becomes to light, and the lesser the sensitivity the greater the required amplification becomes in environments with less available light. This signal amplification occurs at high ISO values.

Phone sensors have pixel pitches that are small. Even the Lumia 1020 with a huge 41-megapixel sensor has a pixel pitch of just 1.12micrometers (if I remember correctly) which makes it perform terribly at "high" ISO values. For example, no matter how people praise the L1020, the photos at ISO 6400 are simply unacceptable.

You may try shooting at lower ISO values, starting from ISO 100 going up to ISO 400 and so on, and determine which ISO value has acceptable noise performance for you. At ISO 100, you would have the least amount of noise but since the sensor would also be least sensitive that also means you will need longer exposure times (slower shutter speeds) - if you don't have a tripod or very stable hands your photos will all be blurry at this setup. Hence, there is a tradeoff: low ISO, long exposure time - least noise, risk of blurring; high ISO, short exposure time - increased noise, reduced risk of blurring.

Find the balance between ISO value and exposure time (shutter speed) which would give you acceptable noise without blurred images (manually adjust the ISO while leaving exposure time (shutter speed) at auto).
    03-27-2016 02:32 PM
    Another thing I've learned is that the aspect ratio of the camera affects the image clarity. If you have it set to the default 16:9 it'll shoot photos at 10 MP. If you want the full 13 MP, adjust the aspect ratio to 4:3 in addition to adjusting the various sensitivity levels, shutter speed and white balance.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-27-2016 07:37 PM
    Another thing I've learned is that the aspect ratio of the camera affects the image clarity. If you have it set to the default 16:9 it'll shoot photos at 10 MP. If you want the full 13 MP, adjust the aspect ratio to 4:3 in addition to adjusting the various sensitivity levels, shutter speed and white balance.
    That's just the image size, not the image clarity. 4:3 images just have more pixels in them than 16:9 images due to the cropping of the full sensor image, hence the larger file size, but the pixel density of a 4:3 and a 16:9 image is the same. Besides, a lot of factors affect the file size of an image, such as exposure time and ISO level. Try taking an image of the same thing under the same lighting conditions but at different camera settings, and compare that with taking an image of different things at different lighting conditions but at the same camera settings (let the images over-expose or under-expose for the sake of the investigation) - the file size will vary even if the resolution stays the same.
    03-27-2016 11:30 PM
    Hello guys.
    I agree about the ISO and the noise about Lumia 640 XL.I have to add one more thing.I don't know if it's correct or an another stupid idea but I think you must send your Photos to the PC.Our screen Qualitu its 720x1280 and the images at my PC with 1920x1080 are much better.
    Ty

Posted from my Lumia 640 Xl dual sim 10586.218
    04-13-2016 06:02 AM
    Short answer, because your phone cost ~$200.

Not happy with the camera quality of lumia 640xl. Camera could have been better with 13MP.in other devices with same 13MP produces very good quality of images.
    Why the camera is so noisy in low light??
    SocratesG4 likes this.
    04-13-2016 11:51 AM
    Man the phone costs 200$ but has a 13Mp camera and Carl Zeiss optics.The camera must be perfect.We don't compare the phone with 950 or S7 but with others 13Mp or even lower and the result it's just stunning.

Jakoh likes this.
    04-14-2016 05:55 AM
    Yet to find a better value and durability in a Smart phone. That display, even next to an iphone 6 (i have both) is really good and maybe even brighter.

Man the phone costs 200$ but has a 13Mp camera and Carl Zeiss optics.The camera must be perfect.We don't compare the phone with 950 or S7 but with others 13Mp or even lower and the result it's just stunning.

04-14-2016 01:37 PM
    With a Trick you can Shoot Pictures in RAW Format. Then you have Pictures Original out of Sensor. Then you have more options to enhance the quality with Lightroom or Photoshop.
    Look at this Thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...dng-640xl.html
    Sorry for my bad english ;-)
    Silver Hammer likes this.
    05-11-2016 07:02 AM