Bought used Lumia - possibly one red moisture sticker?

grooveneazy

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Bought used Lumia - possibly one red moisture sticker

Does the Lumia 640 XL LTE DS actually have one water damage indicator sticker below the battery, right after you take off the removable back cover? I bought a second hand phone and had a red sticker there. I thought it was just some leftover piece of paper there and peeled it off - no sign now there ever was one. It only now came to my mind that this might've been a moisture indicator sticker - but so easily accessible? I viewed the disassembly videos and there seems to be another one on the logic board, see the uploaded photo on a link below:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/an0nyymi/nimetoumln_zps4ykqwjqe.jpg

My questions are, if that really was what I suspect here, in case of a need to bring the phone in on a warranty service can/will they deny my right to RMA by basis of the missing sticker, assuming the other one on the logic board is completely intact and white? The phone is fully working in a perfect cosmetic condition, showing no signs of exposure to water what so ever on visible inspection. Would you advise me to open the back casing or refrain from doing so, to inspect the condition of the second moisture indicator? Even if I'd do it carefully with no apparent damage by layman terms could I risk the warranty of the phone? Opening the back casing seems very straightforward, with just a couple of torxs to unscrew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZ-twsOGUg

Now say, quick use of Google tells me that these indicator stickers are sold. What's your take on buying one and just place where I removed one? With shipping the one I found certainly seems pricey. I'd be delighted if you know to point to a more economical option:
http://stellatech.com/nokia-lumia-1520-water-soak-label-liquid-indicator,a,en,816224.html

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bought used Lumia - possibly one red moisture sticker

I think you are walking down a slippery slope here. You can open the screws and see if there is any liquid damage or not. However, with the missing sticker MSFT will not honor the warranty. If you replace the sticker, it may look similar but might not be the exact one, in which case again they might not honor the warranty repair.

Good luck.

grooveneazy

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site

I think you are walking down a slippery slope here. You can open the screws and see if there is any liquid damage or not. However, with the missing sticker MSFT will not honor the warranty. If you replace the sticker, it may look similar but might not be the exact one, in which case again they might not honor the warranty repair.

Good luck.

Dang that sounds harsh. You really think there's absolutely no leeway here, I think in the likely case the other indicator(s) are intact?

EDIT: My apologizes. I seem to have double posted here, because on first try I received a hanged up browser. On second try I posted here (in the proper section):
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...-lumia-possibly-one-red-moisture-sticker.html

I actually added substantial information there, what was left out from here:
"Now that I think of it, I actually swiped the entire outer surface of the phone, including the backside of the phone without the cover, with a microfibre towel soaked under a warm running tap and carefully squeezed of any excessive water, right after I received the device. It is most likely the sticker turned red here, if it already wasn't."

I think it's better to continue there, if you don't mind. This topic may as well be removed, if mods agree.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Actually this is a question and so belongs more here in AaQ rather than the other discussion. Like I said before just don't be surprised if they do not honor the warranty. There is no easy way out of this issue. I have bought quite a few used devices and then when they get sent in for warranty repairs sometimes the repair is denied for a host of reasons, two of my repairs have been denied because of moisture and in one case the sticker was intact (probably replaced) but the board had presence of moisture and hence no dice.

grooveneazy

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site

Thanks worldspy99. I think I'll just visit a local service shop tomorrow and tell it straight up honestly how it is and ask did I blew the warranty with that uninformed wiping up of the device, with a damp cloth.

Those moisture indicators seems to be sold all over much cheaper, even on eBay, although no listings presently. Just search with a part number 9372873.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Does the Lumia 640 XL LTE DS actually have one water damage indicator sticker below the battery, right after you take off the removable back cover?
just additional information. I checked two 640XLs here just now and they both have that sticker (white here) right at the USB/charging port under the battery cover. Didn't know it's indicator paper, learned something ;)

grooveneazy

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site

Thanks worldspy99. I think I'll just visit a local service shop tomorrow and tell it straight up honestly how it is and ask did I blew the warranty with that uninformed wiping up of the device, with a damp cloth.

Those moisture indicators seems to be sold all over much cheaper, even on eBay, although no listings presently. Just search with a part number 9372873.

Did just that. Verdict: Basic principle is vaguely supposed to be that the sticker behind the removable back cover should only be suggestive and decision should be made on the basis how the insides actually look. The customer serviceman didn't seem to mind too much about my idea of replacing the removed sticker with a new one. I think I'll just do that and wait for an auction like the one below to be relisted and save myself of potential RMA rejection because of that one silly sticker in a all too easy place to misfire, in my opinion:
Nokia Lumia 620 / 830 / 920 / 925 / 1520 Original Wasser Indikator Label Water | eBay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos