Should I upgrade to 10 from 8.1

xsodaxmachinex

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I am wondering if it was safe to up update to 10 with the insider on 640xl. I had an issue last year with my 920 and it was bricked by it and worried about wanting to try it again. I got the 640xl after I bricked my 920 and had no way to fix it with the fixing tools from Windows/Lumia. I am on ATT so I am mot expecting the update anytime soon.

Worth the risk to update to 10 with insider?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
You will get different answers. Do not update to the redstone build I suggest unless you want to experiment. I believe it is a good idea to update to the latest W10M production build. We have four phones here running on W10M with mine on the latest redstone. All of them are running fine. The redstone build has a few small issues but the production builds on two 640s and one 640XL are stable. We are all on ATT and I do not expect an update soon ;)

I do not suggest to go through insider as that may give you redstone if you choose the wrong line. Probably safest route is Upgrade Advisor app.

cheers

xsodaxmachinex

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Upgrade advisor tells that they are working with my carrier so that isn't an option to update it that way. I don't want to risk it just yet as this is my daily driver and my only phone.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
then you use the windows insider app and stay away from the fast and slow insider releases but instead use the production line. That is stable and "safe". But if you don't trust it then I don't know why you came here to ask?

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I moved back to 8.1 on both my phones (930 and 640XL), not because of any performance issues, but rather because MS have utterly crapped on the UI. Mail, text, OneNote ... you name it, MS have changed it, and not for the better IMO. A few things are better (Settings etc.), but not the apps I spend most of my time in.

OneNote was a special bugbear. A completely revamped, ugly UI, along with all sections needing to be reloaded/updated before being displayed. I.e. apparently no offline caching of content. Fine when on WiFi, but no use to me at all using my work OneNote notebook as a reference in the field with limited data access. No such problems with OneNote under 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo