Memory card issues

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm running the official release version of Windows 10 (currently 10586.410). For the past few months, I've often gotten error messages that my memory card (where most apps are installed) is unavailable after the phone reboots.

This happens most often when the phone restarts itself, but occasionally when I manually perform a soft reset. The apps list will show red text indicating an app is not available if it is installed to the memory card, and the home screen will show darkened live tiles for those apps. The phone will display a message that the memory card is not available and prompt me to redownload the app from the store when I attempt to launch one of these apps.

Usually it takes about 5 to 10 minutes before the memory card and my apps are available again, but if I power cycle the phone, the same apps are available as soon as the phone finishes rebooting. There are no error messages that there was a issue with the card requiring repairs. It seems like the card reader is just not initializing properly when the OS loads.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know what I can do to correct it other than waiting or power cycling the device again? I've done a hard reset and set up the phone without restoring a backup in the past, but it didn't make a difference for this issue.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm running the official release version of Windows 10 (currently 10586.410). For the past few months, I've often gotten error messages that my memory card (where most apps are installed) is unavailable after the phone reboots.

This happens most often when the phone restarts itself, but occasionally when I manually perform a soft reset. The apps list will show red text indicating an app is not available if it is installed to the memory card, and the home screen will show darkened live tiles for those apps. The phone will display a message that the memory card is not available and prompt me to redownload the app from the store when I attempt to launch one of these apps.

Usually it takes about 5 to 10 minutes before the memory card and my apps are available again, but if I power cycle the phone, the same apps are available as soon as the phone finishes rebooting. There are no error messages that there was a issue with the card requiring repairs. It seems like the card reader is just not initializing properly when the OS loads.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know what I can do to correct it other than waiting or power cycling the device again? I've done a hard reset and set up the phone without restoring a backup in the past, but it didn't make a difference for this issue.

it might also be that the memory card is failing or of a lower class. Try a different card to test if the newer one works better. For testing purposes

Russtronic

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I am not having this issue (But maybe related) I was listening to Groove Music and got a message saying how to remove my memory card properly. The music continued playing (But it may have been from One drive) and App's still function but Phone refuses to see card. Wintools see's card tho. Am running build 14356. Only having slight problem this build with batt usage higher than normal. Will send bug report for this build, but problem strikes me more as hardware. Input would be appreciated.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I am facing EXACT same issue with my 640XL, running .420 build (official).
I am using Sandisk class 10 Memory card.
The only difference is i get an error message on phone bootup stating " memory card may have some issues- scan recommended"
Seems to be like a software issue rather than HW.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue, I'm on insider build .14367. I don't think it's the software in my case so I will probably buy a new memory card.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The memory card in question is a Samsung Evo 64GB class 10. just upgraded to the latest Insider fast ring build 14367.0. In order to do so, I had to do a master reset to clear some "System & Reserved" storage that was registering unusually high. Despite removing all removable apps installed to the internal storage, I could only free up about 800 MB. After the upgrade, I performed another master reset, including the memory card, and so that I could restore my latest backup.

For 3 days since the update, I haven't had any issues with the memory card. I also haven't had any random reboots that I was getting often with the official Windows 10 builds lately. I just forced a soft reset by holding Power + Volume Down. Upon rebooting, I got a notification telling me that there was an unexpected shutdown or removal of a memory card and prompted me to scan for errors. Selecting Yes to the scan put my phone into the state described in my original post.

It appears that before I reset and updated my phone, it was performing the memory card scans automatically after these "unexpected shutdowns" without prompting me to ask for my permission. It seems to me that I was experiencing a software glitch, but I don't know if it was corrected by the master reset or the update to the latest Insider build.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine did the same thing about every 2 - 3 days even after I purchased a new SD card. Never did it with 8.1 so I rolled back last night. Fingers crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky