Tap to Pay

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Technically, I believe yes.

2. Tap to pay apparently requires going through some kind of certification process and it appears Microsoft isn't going through with it. Not unexpected considering the trend of MS not really supporting individual models to a significant extent.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
1. Technically, I believe yes.

2. Tap to pay apparently requires going through some kind of certification process and it appears Microsoft isn't going through with it. Not unexpected considering the trend of MS not really supporting individual models to a significant extent.

But it works on 950s.

Are you saying th hardware is already in the 640XL but not enabled?

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
My next phone will be Android.

Samsung and Apple both have Tap To Pay but Microsoft refuses to implement it.

Why I don't know but it will cost the at least one customer in the future unless things change drastically and pretty damn soon.

Microsoft put a Wallet app in the Store but it only takes numbers for those Store Reward Cards --- it does NOT do Tap To Pay.

Microsoft does not deserve any further support for their phone business if they continue to refuse to give us Tap To Pay.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But it works on 950s.

Are you saying th hardware is already in the 640XL but not enabled?

MS has not gotten the 640 XL or 640 certified at this time, but ultimately we aren't going to know for sure if its hardware or not. It's likely that MS is simply not supporting the device in this regard, but we can't know for sure without insider knowledge. Pun not intended.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
MS has not gotten the 640 XL or 640 certified at this time, but ultimately we aren't going to know for sure if its hardware or not. It's likely that MS is simply not supporting the device in this regard, but we can't know for sure without insider knowledge. Pun not intended.

Does each device model need to be certified for tap and pay? IIRC Google rolled out Google Wallet to all Android devices with NFC and a minimum OS version. That would have been hundreds of different device models. I'm pretty sure they didn't get each one certified!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
NFC Tap to Pay may only come to newer Windows 10 Mobile phones | Windows Central

This is worth checking out. Apparently the 640 XL is cleared? I don't know anymore.

This is a very interesting article. I read this thoroughly when Daniel first published it. I've been using tap and pay every chance I get for the last 3 years. You could say it is a passion of mine!

The fact that the 640XL was approved but the 640 wasn't leads me to believe that it has more to do with Microsoft allowing tap and pay than device capabilities. Is that what you are referring to by "certified", as in "certified" by Microsoft? I was using that term as an official certification, like from whatever powers that be in the wireless and banking world, and thinking it is not necessary because I'm pretty sure Google and/or Android OEMs didn't do it. But after reading through everything again I started thinking maybe you and I are using the term differently.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
My next phone will be Android.

Samsung and Apple both have Tap To Pay but Microsoft refuses to implement it.

Why I don't know but it will cost the at least one customer in the future unless things change drastically and pretty damn soon.

Microsoft put a Wallet app in the Store but it only takes numbers for those Store Reward Cards --- it does NOT do Tap To Pay.

Microsoft does not deserve any further support for their phone business if they continue to refuse to give us Tap To Pay.

Uhm..maybe I am missing something in your diatribe, but my 950 has Tap to Pay.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes you are missing something. This discussion was about 640XL and other phones that are capable of tap to pay, but for which wasn't enabled.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I'm scewed. I read < most > of the article and my phone is a 640 Xl LTE so apprently --- because it is LTE ( whatever that is ) I will NEVER get Tap To Pay on this phone ).

Why did they approve the 640 XL but not the 640 XL LTE?

What is it about LTE that disqualifies this phone?

Is it possible to remove the LTE?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon