Is charger for 640 xl safe to leave plugged in?

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Some chargers don't like not having a load on them.

I noticed the charger for my Lumia gets very warm when charging but then gets cool once the phone is charged.

I wonder if it is safe to leave the charger plugged in and just connect to the phone when it needs charging. Every day lately.

I would hate to have the charger burn itself out because of being powered up with nothing connected to it.

melhiore

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Interesting question. Never unplugged any of my chargers in my entire life... Maybe I was doing this all wrong...

I think that was some sort of the problem in the past. If you read a bit more about modern batteries and chargers you do not even need to unplug the phone when battery is full. I always plug my phone last thing before going to bed and unplug the following day. So far I did not notice any difference on any of my devices and there was few of those... YMMV...

Bruno Coutinho1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
They usually explode in the 100th time you don't disconnect the charger after 5,5h of charging.

I usually wake up early just in time to disconnect the charger before the big explosion time.
Been doing this since the StarTac era. No explosions so far.

Felix Wong

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I've left four or five different USB wall chargers plugged into the wall outlets 100% of the time for the last two years or so for convenience. Never had a problem with any.

Also, as a sidenote, when I measured the current draw using a Kill-A-Watt device when no phone was connected to the USB wall chargers, the current draw read 0. So I believe you aren't saving more than a miniscule amount of electricity by unplugging them when not in use contrary to what some "how to save energy" websites claim.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I just turn the switch off at the wall socket then unplug the phone from the charging lead. I charge my device overnight & never had an issue yet.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
OK thanks. I was remembering the ' good ol' days ' and there were chargers that didn't like not having a load on them and some even started fires because they would " run away " trying to charge devices that weren't there.

It was a long time ago.

I know the charger for the phone gets pretty warm when it's is charging. This charger seems to be a smart charger though because when the phone is charged it cools off.

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
OK thanks. I was remembering the ' good ol' days ' and there were chargers that didn't like not having a load on them and some even started fires because they would " run away " trying to charge devices that weren't there.

It was a long time ago.

I know the charger for the phone gets pretty warm when it's is charging. This charger seems to be a smart charger though because when the phone is charged it cools off.

Safer to plug a charger out or better install a wall outlet with on off switch/switches. The charger's have transformers to reduce the voltage, from the mains high voltage to a lower voltage. The ac (alternating current) low voltage is then converted to DC (Direct current) via a electronic PCB (printed circuit board)
Better safe than sorry.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
The charger's have transformers to reduce the voltage, from the mains high voltage to a lower voltage.

That generation is already phased out, well for mobile chargers. All mobile chargers are capacitor based.
Haven't you noticed that mobile chargers are light weight nowadays ?
If it had a transformer, it would have been heavy.

Better safe than sorry.

I do overnight charging. All phones that have been manufactured since the past 2-3 years have this smart battery management service that automatically cuts off current from the charger after the battery is fully charged. So there is no harm in leaving the phone charging overnight, even if it gets charged in 2 or so hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb