is the 640xl worth giving a go in 2017

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
My last windows phone being the Nokia 930, now my daily phone is the android s7. Nice phone, but I use my trusty old dell windows tablet for most things, and would really like to give windows 10 a go on a windows phone, is the 640xl still a good buy in 2017, I'm a bit out of touch but it seems poor WP has almost been dropped by Microsoft, or am I wrong. I should imagine hardly anyone develops apps for the platform any more. But how does the UI run now, I always loved the whole Facebook twitter, people hub interconnection and the push anything to a tile on your home page.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's cheap enough then any phone can probably be worth trying.

The UI is solid. The interconnection and such is no more though. App gap is wide.

leandrodp2016

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Going from a G7 to a 640xl sounds like an extreme downgrade, can't think of any advantage, besides it works better on w8 than w10, and that platform is being abandoned in favor of w10 mobile... So I'd stick with what you already have. 1GB of ram and 8GB of internal storage in 2017 is obsolete

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I went from 950XL (horrible) to iPhone 6 Plus to 640XL. The 640XL is an excellent phone, and now its $79 on Amazon. Unbelievable for an LTE phone of this quality.

It's specs are good, but the outstanding design is what makes this phone. Specs are not as important as proper design, and that why for example, this phone is so much better than the 950XL.

Enjoy it

Sent from mTalk

leandrodp2016

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow, your not painting a very positive picture, I wouldn't be getting rid of the s7, just trying the 640 alongside.
If you have the spare money and are willing to try it, then go ahead. I went from a LG G3 to the 640xl, and though it did serve my basic needs at first, it began to show its limitations as time went by. Then switched to Apple and realised how much I had compromised. In my opinion if Microsoft is giving up on this mobile thing altogether, I don't see why consumers would pay for an abandoned platform. Microsoft pulled their Lumia social media accounts in a matter of days from my country. No explanations given. Signs are clear.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In my experience with the smaller version of it, using it on Windows 10 Mobile is slow. It's not terrible by any means but it's noticeably slower. I find that the 650, a native W10M phone, is faster than it.

phuqit

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
They are still working on mobile. I just got an update on my 640xl last night. I don't believe my 640 even comes close to what a S7 has to offer. However mine works well for my needs. I'm not big on apps and it's been rock solid so far.

leandrodp2016

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
To add wood to the fire, I tried to turn on the phone today to play age of
Empires, it wouldn't respond. Took the battery off, pressed the start button again, it did turn on, but got that checking sd card message. After a couple of minutes it said the card was "corrupted " and "unusable". After 4 soft resets with the same results, it got to work, out of nowhere. No clue how long it will continue to work, or if it will fail again. Thankfully the important stuff is backed up online (pictures, music, PDF files and such). I'm glad I switched. This is turning into a hot mess.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers