I made 3D paper models of the 640 and XL.

Satorindley

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've never used a 'phablet' before and I had free time and saw some blue paper. 20 minutes later I had made these little replicas of these two phones to see exactly how big they were. The centre of them are polystyrene with blue paper glued on each side. Not sure if you're interested but I had fun making them! It's interesting to know how big they'll be. :smile:

WIN_20150310_175422.JPGWIN_20150310_175402.JPGWIN_20150310_175323.JPGWIN_20150308_162902.JPG

What do you think?

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I used to do that for iPods and the like - mainly to see how they'd fit in various pockets.
I didn't actually mark them up though - I like yours.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I was inspired. I've been wondering ever since the 640XL came out whether or not it would be manageable in my hands. Thanks for posting this topic. It has literally made my day, and caused me to be as much of a time waster as apparently the OP was.

I decided to take on this project, except not quite to the extent the OP did with colored paper and wrap-around with the paper and such. Instead, I loaded up front and back images of the phone, scaled them to actual size, and printed. Then I cut them out along with some cardboard paper, glued together a couple of pieces of cardboard, and glued on the images for front and back. It actually came out to the correct size, including the thickness. This method may be easier for others to experiment with the size of it.

Only problem is, I can't get much of an idea about "weight" of the item. While I have a set of scales that will allow me to measure accurately by the gram, I haven't tried to "weight" the mock-up. I could pour sand or sugar into the grooves of the corrugated cardboard, and seal it with a hot glue gun and get the correct weight, but first I thought I'd play with it for a while and see how it's working size-wise for me.

Pics:
WP_20150310_14_14_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20150310_14_15_04_Pro.jpg
WP_20150310_14_15_12_Pro.jpg

Here are the top 10 observations about THIS phone.

#1: Definitely going to have to be exclusively for 2 handed use, at least for me. Or... hands free using Bluetooth and Cortana.
#2: While this screen is easy to read in bright daylight, it's pretty much impossible to see in a dark room.
#3: The flash is completely non-functional.
#4: The phone is SO light weight, I can't set it down outside if the wind is blowing, or it will blow away.
#5: Does not hold up getting wet.
#6: Bends quite easily and leaves creases even after trying to straighten it out. Not for pants pocket use.
#7: The screen doesn't so much "scratch" as it does "tear" or "rip".
#8: Fails to pair with my Bluetooth headset, and can't seem to get any sound from my wired ear buds.
#9: Extremely slow and unresponsive. I tapped on a tile on the start screen over an hour ago, and it still hasn't opened up the app.
#10: Can't seem to get it to connect to my Wi-Fi.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I was inspired. I've been wondering ever since the 640XL came out whether or not it would be manageable in my hands. Thanks for posting this topic. It has literally made my day, and caused me to be as much of a time waster as apparently the OP was.

I decided to take on this project, except not quite to the extent the OP did with colored paper and wrap-around with the paper and such. Instead, I loaded up front and back images of the phone, scaled them to actual size, and printed. Then I cut them out along with some cardboard paper, glued together a couple of pieces of cardboard, and glued on the images for front and back. It actually came out to the correct size, including the thickness. This method may be easier for others to experiment with the size of it.

Only problem is, I can't get much of an idea about "weight" of the item. While I have a set of scales that will allow me to measure accurately by the gram, I haven't tried to "weight" the mock-up. I could pour sand or sugar into the grooves of the corrugated cardboard, and seal it with a hot glue gun and get the correct weight, but first I thought I'd play with it for a while and see how it's working size-wise for me.

Pics:
View attachment 99403
View attachment 99404
View attachment 99405

#1: Definitely going to have to be exclusively for 2 handed use, at least for me. Or... hands free using Bluetooth and Cortana.
#2: While this screen is easy to read in bright daylight, it's pretty much impossible to see in a dark room.
#4: The phone is SO light weight, I can't set it down outside if the wind is blowing, or it will blow away.
#6: Bends quite easily and leaves creases even after trying to straighten it out. Not for pants pocket use.
#8: Fails to pair with my Bluetooth headset, and can't seem to get any sound from my wired ear buds.
#9: Extremely slow and unresponsive. I tapped on a tile on the start screen over an hour ago, and it still hasn't opened up the app.
Hahaha... The observations were quite helpful....thanks 😂

Satorindley

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Haha, nice observations! :smile: Yeah I accidentally dropped one and it floated to the ground. It gave me a shock! Even though I knew it was made of paper and polystyrene. :shocked:

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

This just made my day :D

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's official. I'm not going to be able to get the 640 XL because of the size. The paper model has helped me to see that.

As you can see from the picture below, I have one of those nice, wood charging stations. The 640 XL simply won't fit. As a matter of fact, with the case on it, the 635 doesn't really fit too well. I certainly wouldn't want to have to spend another $5 at the thrift store to obtain another one after I already spent $5 on this charging station.
DSCF2877.JPG

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Brilliant! Your humor is refreshing! One thing that might help with #8; did you try a string? :wink: When I was a kid my cousin and I took 2 devices that weren't even quite as sophisticated as yours, put a string between them, and we actually got a bit of sound to go through!

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
So I bought both 640 and 640XL too in local store called "A Printer", I think I comfortable with 640, the 640XL is just too big, maybe because I am owner of 620 which is so small compared to two others. This is the hand-on pics:
edit.jpg
edited2.jpg
But I have problem here, I can't lock the screen of both 640 & 640XL. Please help!

So yeah, like Satorindley & rhapdog said, this could help me to see which is good for me and not. By its size I'm not going to buy 640XL, but I think I need to move from 620 since it's only 512MB RAM and dual-core 1GHz cpu. I think I would change to 640 soon after it launch. 730 might be another option, but the prices is still can be consideration for me, it price can be same as 640XL, and 640 is just in my price range.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa