Which should I get the BLU Win HD LTE VS. MICROSOFT LUMIA 640?

Two Bit Whack Job

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: BLU Win HD LTE VS. MICROSOFT LUMIA 640

I had the Regular BLU Win HD for a month. The performance wasn't a big issue, but the lack of glance screen and other things made me return it and wait for the 640.

Sergiusz Jasper

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

That is what I'm thinking too ...may just wait and see what the 640 is like and price can always go for 830

Nagoyablue

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

I was choosing between the two. I choose the 640 for these reasons:

1. It's cheeper. 120 GBP at Carphone Warehouse in the UK, SIM free.
2. GDR2 and Lumia Camera 5 come installed. Not sure the BLU (or KAZAM as it will be in the UK) will.
3. Future support. THe Lumia 520 will get WP10. Lumia's get new software earliest and for longer
4. Glance and Clear black.
5. Removable battery.
6. Easier to find and buy cases, screen protectors etc.
7. Availiable now. The Blu will be availiable in various places around the world under different names through the year. But I can't buy one now. I can buy a 640 now.

The Blu has a slightly faster processor. Er, that's it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The 1st gen Win Jr and Win HD got Update 1 quite early compared to most Lumias around the world. Just before Christmas if I remember correctly. Blu beat my 1520 to that update by months.

This, and the quick release of updated hardware shows serious support of the WP platform by Blu. They are aggressively coming along in Android as well and are looking to make themselves a serious player, IMHO.

The camera would be the deal breaker for me--so far Blu cameras have not impressed reviewers. Also, 640 is not yet available in North America that I am aware of.

I will concede that MP per MP Lumia does a much better job with "point and click" photography. But I think you can say that about Lumia vs any brand on any platform. However, my test drive of the 1st gen Blu Win HD shows that the camera does have promise if one is willing to explore lenses and make a few post shot tweaks to compensate for weak areas when they crop up. It's about making the best with what you do have. Reviews are indicating that Blu has done some Firmware tweaking of the camera on the HD LTE and improved the situation even more.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I think the fact the BLU can only have 32GB of expandable storage is another drawback. Sure, I have a 32GB phone now (the M8) but the 32 GB limit seems low to me. Just in case.

Sergiusz Jasper

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

Just won a bid on eBay on a Nokia 830 in black with lots of extras like new cases and a 64 gb SD card for 255$ US and its local too originally purchased from Microsoft an about month old mint condition ...will let u know how it is when arrives .

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I think the fact the BLU can only have 32GB of expandable storage is another drawback. Sure, I have a 32GB phone now (the M8) but the 32 GB limit seems low to me. Just in case.

Users report they can run 64GB SD Class 10 in 1st Gen Blu Win HD... I see no reason why the LTE would be any different. 1520 is famous for underreporting SD capability. IMHO, it relates to spec written on an older reader when at time of manufacture the stated capacity was the max offered. SD tech doubles in size quickly and the 32GB spec is the same as 64 and 128.... I.E.: class 10 XC. At 32GB up to 128GB it all requires the same reader tech and preferred file system (exFAT)...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/blu-win-hd/315056-yes-64gb-microsd-card-works-blu-win-hd.html

Just won a bid on eBay on a Nokia 830 in black with lots of extras like new cases and a 64 gb SD card for 255$ US and its local too originally purchased from Microsoft an about month old mint condition ...will let u know how it is when arrives .

LOL that's a different comparison thread.

I'm quite sure you got a good deal on the 830 and also equally sure it outclasses the Blu Win HD LTE and the 640 LTE being discussed here.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Users report they can run 64GB SD Class 10 in 1st Gen Blu Win HD... I see no reason why the LTE would be any different. 1520 is famous for underreporting SD capability. IMHO, it relates to spec written on an older reader when at time of manufacture the stated capacity was the max offered. SD tech doubles in size quickly and the 32GB spec is the same as 64 and 128.... I.E.: class 10 XC. At 32GB up to 128GB it all requires the same reader tech and preferred file system (exFAT)...

Hadn't seen that; good to know. Personally, I'd still probably go for the 640 myself. Have an M8 now and I miss glance and the nice, deep blacks on my old 925 screen. I'm probably crazy for giving up my M8 for a 640, but having Jump! on TMO means I'm only stuck with it for 6 months if I really don't like it. Should get me to the Windows 10 phones. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Just remember 925 was AMOLED with PureMotion and ClearBlack. 640 is IPS LCD, so even with ClearBlack it won't be as true a black as the 925...

But IMHO, the Lumia screen tweaks should help and I love IPS for faithful color and great daylight viewing.

Nagoyablue

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

The 1st gen Win Jr and Win HD got Update 1 quite early compared to most Lumias around the world. Just before Christmas if I remember correctly. Blu beat my 1520 to that update by months.

Is that not comparing Blu with US carriers, who are notoriously slow?

Straight from MS via the PfD system, updates are really quick for Lumias. Samsung phones can't even use PfD.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Is that not comparing Blu with US carriers, who are notoriously slow?

Straight from MS via the PfD system, updates are really quick for Lumias. Samsung phones can't even use PfD.

Nope. I have a 1520.3. It is RM-938_lta_lta_905 with a Mobile Operator of 000-22. It is Factory Unlocked and generic for Latin America market with no Country Variant designated. It is at the top of the food chain for pure Microsoft accountability for the OTA update.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: L640 or BLU WIN HD LTE?

Blu already confirmed W10 update and the specs plus design are better on the BLU HD, though I don't know about the screen.

It's a tough call.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Just remember 925 was AMOLED with PureMotion and ClearBlack. 640 is IPS LCD, so even with ClearBlack it won't be as true a black as the 925...

But IMHO, the Lumia screen tweaks should help and I love IPS for faithful color and great daylight viewing.

Definitely not expecting it to look as good as my 925 did, but I do expect it to look better than my M8 even the the M8 is a much higher end phone. Maybe I'll be disappointed, but it's only six months...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I haven't really looked at the proprietary LCD tech that HTC used on that phone. I do love my IPS with Lumia Firmware behind it. I hope you really enjoy your 640 when it come in.

Don't forget to get your unlock code from T-Mo for that One M8. There is definitely a great chance you could sell her unlocked through Marketplace here and end up getting the 640 or free. :)

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I haven't really looked at the proprietary LCD tech that HTC used on that phone. I do love my IPS with Lumia Firmware behind it. I hope you really enjoy your 640 when it come in.

I am going to look at the 640 before I jump in to see if I like it as much as I think I will. Always a possibility I'll change my mind.

Don't forget to get your unlock code from T-Mo for that One M8. There is definitely a great chance you could sell her unlocked through Marketplace here and end up getting the 640 or free. :)

Hadn't thought about that- great idea. I'm assuming they'll give me an unlock code even though I owe on it? I'll have to see how much I owe T-Mobile and if it's worth it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You have to pay the phone off, I think...

Or, just tell them you will be traveling internationally and will need to use local SIMs. :winktongue:

jeetjani

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 640 (XL) or Blu Win HD LTE

Now that we have couple mid range options available on the market for unlocked devices which would serve well as temporary replacements for old hardware like the 920 or 820 until the new flagship, what are your opinions?

Blu Win HD LTE / Lumia 640 / Lumia 640 XL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6