Lumia 640 bendgate?

MicroG33k

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I've had a Lumia 640 matte black since day two of its launch. Everything was going great until today. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and noticed a line going down the front-facing camera. Thinking it was a hair, I went to remove it only to find I had a crack in the screen. The crack starts above the camera and bends off to the edge (approx. 1/3 of the screen). I have also noticed the rear shell isn't as flush to the phone like it was previously. I get a creaking sound around certain parts of the phone when squeezed. I've not dropped the phone but I feel stupid now for not having a protect screen and/or case. I really didn't expect my phone to break in my pocket as it has never happened before. Also, I wouldn't say my jeans are tight. This isn't a great start as a new Windows Phone user.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I find it stunningly amazing how your actions that caused the problem could be offloaded to others. Moral of the story, its your responsibility to care for your electronic equipment, NOT Microsofts'. Metal and layered plastics bend and understand this is NOT a wallet.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it was in your back pocket and you sat in it. But it's quite possible that the crack is on the outer cover of the screen which can be replaced. Get it checked from a care centre right away.

Audigy

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It appears to suffer from the same lack of rigidity as in the 535 due to the "thin design".

Nowadays the designs clearly center around the thinnest achievable depth, not rigidity and robustness as before. Older drawings used a four layered assembly, front panel -> full PCB(printed circuit board) -> battery -> back panel. So as previously we had the full PCB as an extra layer of structural rigidity, now to make their designs 2/3mm thinner, the previous full size PCB is shrinked to just the top or a small portion on the sides of the chassis, making way for the application of the battery in the remainder space. The chassis will lose strength as a cause of that, so there is no miracle where unless they start using more advanced and strong materials such as magnesium alloys. The newer Lumia 435 and 532 still use the old bulky way, being 2/3mm deeper but with unremarkable rigidity and robustness faced to 535 and 640/640XL.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^^^ Nicely said, Audigy... Add to the thinness the move to larger and larger screens and now what would have been a 3.8" screen 2 years ago (620) is a 5" screen today (640) and it is more prone to torsional forces when in a front pants pocket and you add in human motions like sitting, bending, squatting...

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like time to get an Amzer dual layer thick hard case like on my old 521 I gave my sis :p

Meanwhile with a thin case I've accidently slept on top of my L635 and no bends or breaks anywhere. Lucky me xD

MicroG33k

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure about other countries but England appears to be limited in terms of cases. I've seen one on Amazon called MYLB hard shell case. I've ordered it, so I will let you know how it goes.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like time to get an Amzer dual layer thick hard case like on my old 521 I gave my sis :p

Meanwhile with a thin case I've accidently slept on top of my L635 and no bends or breaks anywhere. Lucky me xD

It seems I hit a jackpot with my 930. I've slept on it more times than I can count. It has dropped from the top of a bunk bed after a night of drinking with only some scratches. It has fallen out of my pockets and bars in more pubs than I can remember. No bending. Nokia prowess.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... But 930 is whole different body type and more rigid by design than the less expensive 640. I would hope the thing stood up to more abuse.

Last edited:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happened to my 635, cracked in my pocket. I bught a BLU Win HD after it being recommended. Turns out it's thinner but tougher. Though there is some kinda performance difference I have not noticed between them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre