[L640] Charging takes longer not using the supplied charger?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

It took 4 hours to charge it from 20% to 100% Is this normal

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [L640] Takes so long to charge is it because I am not using the supplied charger

I think you read that wrong. I think they were suggesting how the phone might recognise that the charger is a Nokia charger.

Shorting data pins is one possibility. What this does is send a loop back signal to the phone indicating that the charger is Nokia. It's a rather simplistic way of doing it but I'd be surprised if that's even true. I'd want to see proof if they had a parity check to ensure their charger being used.

What I don't understand is why someone would suggest shorting the pins when OP obviously has the charger supplied with the 640!!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: [L640] Takes so long to charge is it because I am not using the supplied charger

What I don't understand is why someone would suggest shorting the pins when OP obviously has the charger supplied with the 640!!!

I wouldn't try shorting the pins and I'm not bad with a soldering iron. :p

I don't think they were necessarily suggesting the OP short the pins. I mark it down to English not being their native language (from what I can tell).

I think they were just expressing how it could be achieved.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have doubts about the data-pin shorting "trick". I think its all about the output rating of the charger being used, whether it is the charger supplied with the phone or not.

Using both the original chargers supplied with the phone, the L535 (1905mAh battery) charges a lot longer than the L1020 (2000mAh battery) even if the L1020 has a higher capacity battery (though only slightly higher). This is because the L535 charger has an output of 550mA while the L1020 charger has an output of 1.5A.

Based on what I've tried before, using a charger with a lower current output results in longer charging time, but it also seems that the battery life is also longer* with the same usage, while using a charger with the same output rating as the original charger results in the same charging time (compared with the original). This is the same reason why it takes so long to charge a phone through the USB port (1.0 and 2.0) of a PC.

*- To complement N_LaRUE's post in post #17 about the chemistry of how batteries respond to high charging rates, energy is released from the battery when the Li-ions move from the anode to the cathode. These anodes and cathodes are made up of a material that is capable of holding or storing the ions, and movement is through ionic diffusion. Now, the media into which the Li ion diffuses through (usually a carbon material) can handle a back-diffusion rate up to a certain maximum before the material starts to "warp" and distort... faster charging (and discharging) rates means more warping and distortion. This is the reason why batteries bulge over time. Using a lower output-rated charger isn't as harmful, after all hence, to the battery as it is to the passage of time.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Based on what I've tried before, using a charger with a lower current output results in longer charging time, but it also seems that the battery life is also longer* with the same usage, while using a charger with the same output rating as the original charger results in the same charging time (compared with the original)

I admire you for trying that :winktongue: If I don't see a significant increase in battery life, when using another charger, within the first 10 minutes, I remove the charger :/

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I admire you for trying that :winktongue: If I don't see a significant increase in battery life, when using another charger, within the first 10 minutes, I remove the charger :/

Just got my L1020 back a few days ago, trying the L535 charger on it just a few minutes ago. If the 550mA output is taking too long, I'll be the L1020's 1.5A charger from now on.:cool:

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
OP talks about 640 ? If so, then that's what I saw on russian site in the review:
"Unfortunately, the quick charging in the Lumia 640 is not supported. When connected to a regular battery charger for an hour picking up only 25% ."

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
OP talks about 640 ? If so, then that's what I saw on russian site in the review:
"Unfortunately, the quick charging in the Lumia 640 is not supported. When connected to a regular battery charger for an hour picking up only 25% ."

The OP may also check the output of the charger being used. What version of Quick Charging was that Russian site review referring to?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Even so, my ATIV S lacks quick charging and fully charges in 2-3 hours, also remember that OP isn't using the supplied charger.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I lost my original charger i got with my 820 and started using 2A Samsung charger instead.

Now, none of the other chargers work. Not even power banks. Heavily regretting my decision.

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Is it so hard to understand that someone wants to use more than one charger?
One at home, one in the office, a third in a car...

The USB specification for identifying a charger is a resistance lower than 200Ohms (which is true for a shortcut) between the data pins. This is to protect standard pc-USB-ports, which are limited to 500mA by specification.

The aim of the standardization of chargers with micro usb plugs is to reduce the amount of chargers. Some devices now come without a charger, because most people have chargers already from their older devices.
You can even buy adaptor cables with connected datapins for fast charging.

I do NOT "advice" people to do domething. I just give information about facts. These facts can easily be found and confirmed in worlwideweb.

I just wanted to explain why buying a charger with higher nominal output does not necessarily lead to shorter charging times.
But maybe my english is not good enough to make myself clear.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it so hard to understand that someone wants to use more than one charger?
One at home, one in the office, a third in a car...

The USB specification for identifying a charger is a resistance lower than 200Ohms (which is true for a shortcut) between the data pins. This is to protect standard pc-USB-ports, which are limited to 500mA by specification.

The aim of the standardization of chargers with micro usb plugs is to reduce the amount of chargers. Some devices now come without a charger, because most people have chargers already from their older devices.
You can even buy adaptor cables with connected datapins for fast charging.

I do NOT "advice" people to do domething. I just give information about facts. These facts can easily be found and confirmed in worlwideweb.

I just wanted to explain why buying a charger with higher nominal output does not necessarily lead to shorter charging times.
But maybe my english is not good enough to make myself clear.

Then you would buy a second official charger instead of just using any old charger. I would have thought that would be the sensible thing to do but maybe I'm wrong!!!!

The point is that the OP has:

1. Answered their own question, they have the official charger and aren't using it.

2. Not stated if they have the official charger with them or not.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

The 2500 mAh battery in the 640 is a very respectable size. If I know Lumia, you probably should have a 1.3 amp output on the charger... If you are using a 500 mA (or 0.5 amp) charger it will take some time.

The OEM charger you should have received would most likely be this: Nokia 1.3A Micro USB Wall Charger AC-50U - Smartphone Chargers & Cables

If you have to save $$$ and use a 3rd party charger. look for a higher output than what you have currently. Pun intended. :winktongue:
Actually, Lumia 640 charger is Microsoft :p

crunchie-uk

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I noticed i was getting the slow-charging error when charging my phone using my iPad charger or when plugged in to my car.
This was especially annoying in the car as it meant it wouldnt charge while using the sat-nav and would die.

I then bought some Anker usb fast charge cables from amazon (data pins shorted i believe) and now it charges faster on the iPad charger (2.1A) and from my car stereo(1A) .I no longer get the error message.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I noticed i was getting the slow-charging error when charging my phone using my iPad charger or when plugged in to my car.
This was especially annoying in the car as it meant it wouldnt charge while using the sat-nav and would die.

I then bought some Anker usb fast charge cables from amazon (data pins shorted i believe) and now it charges faster on the iPad charger (2.1A) and from my car stereo(1A) .I no longer get the error message.

Hello, crunchie-uk, welcome to Windows Central!

It is usually more advisable to use the charger that was supplied with the phone, or at least another charger that has the same output rating as the default charger. Check the output rating of the default charger and then try not to use any charger that has more than twice its output rating, e.g. if your default charger has a 1A rating, do not use a 2.1A charger... for the sake of your battery's health.:smile:

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
or at least another charger that has the same output rating as the default charger. Check the output rating of the default charger and then try not to use any charger that has more than twice its output rating, e.g. if your default charger has a 1A rating, do not use a 2.1A charger... for the sake of your battery's health.:smile:
Current is always pulled, never pushed (at a given voltage). Battery pulls about c/10, which is perfect for battery life.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Current is always pulled, never pushed (at a given voltage). Battery pulls about c/10, which is perfect for battery life.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to understand your post. I'm taking that you meant that with respect to the battery current is always "pulled" and "never pushed", at a rate of "c/10" (I also don't know what this is, since current is usually expressed in Amperes - the only other unit related to electricity that has a letter "C" in it is Coulombs, but that's usually for electric charge); did I get this correctly?

If yes, then I've got two questions:
1. What did you mean by "current is always pulled, never pushed"? With respect to what?
2. What is "c/10"?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium