06-05-2016 06:46 PM
54 123
tools
    Just a thought, but when trying to initialize the GPS without a data connection... Do you have the map data downloaded for offline use? I tried starting up Here Maps without the wi-fi or cellular connection and it did put a dot on my screen for the location, but had no map data. I'll have to download the maps for my location one of these days, but it hasn't really been a priority for me up to this point.
    12-25-2015 11:24 PM
    @avecngerxp:

so even on 640 next month when W10 will be out...GPS won't work....and no they will NOT fix this as the problem has been around for years!!!! on all models mostly!
    12-27-2015 10:57 AM
    Just a thought, but when trying to initialize the GPS without a data connection... Do you have the map data downloaded for offline use? I tried starting up Here Maps without the wi-fi or cellular connection and it did put a dot on my screen for the location, but had no map data. I'll have to download the maps for my location one of these days, but it hasn't really been a priority for me up to this point.
    Seriously?..YES

If you don't have data how can you expect a phone with 8GB to have all your maps?
    That is exactly they let you offline download any map you want.

GPS will work but if you want voice nav or maps you need to download those on wifi first before using it with no data.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-27-2015 01:19 PM
    people! the problem is not with the maps or anything regarding apps! the problem resided inside the GPS receiver of the LUMIA phones! just uses apps like hardware test or gps satellite...and you WILL have PROOF that GPS DOES NOT WORK in 90% of the cases !!!!!!
    12-27-2015 01:51 PM
    HOORAY; I'M A 10%'er!!!
    12-27-2015 02:10 PM
    I feels you guys. Got a 640xl and gps often times does not know my current location with either wifi/cellular off. Cellular and Gps prob rely on each other to triangulate our positons.
    12-27-2015 02:30 PM
    I have a 520, 521 two 640's and a 925. GPS works well on all of them.
    12-27-2015 02:46 PM
    people! the problem is not with the maps or anything regarding apps! the problem resided inside the GPS receiver of the LUMIA phones! just uses apps like hardware test or gps satellite...and you WILL have PROOF that GPS DOES NOT WORK in 90% of the cases !!!!!!
    Total BS I've had THREE lumias (520, 635 and 640) and their GPS has been spot on using GPS Calculator pro

I also have Garmin GPS units to verify

So before you spout off its likely user error
    12-27-2015 03:32 PM
    Seriously?..YES

If you don't have data how can you expect a phone with 8GB to have all your maps?
    That is exactly they let you offline download any map you want.

GPS will work but if you want voice nav or maps you need to download those on wifi first before using it with no data.
    I went back and read the thread from the beginning. I misread it or misunderstood it the first time which is why I asked the question I did. I took a drive this afternoon with my L640 and shut off the wi-fi and cellular to test my phone. The GPS worked perfectly for me the entire drive home.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-27-2015 07:23 PM
    I use my 640 GPS on my bike rides of 20 miles, 3 times a week. It has always started quickly, been very accurate and has never lost a connection.
    editguy likes this.
    12-27-2015 10:24 PM
    I have a 520, 521 two 640's and a 925. GPS works well on all of them.
    GPS problems on lumias started with X30 series and upwards...X20 series and before NEVER had issues...
    12-28-2015 04:00 AM
    Total BS I've had THREE lumias (520, 635 and 640) and their GPS has been spot on using GPS Calculator pro

I also have Garmin GPS units to verify

So before you spout off its likely user error
    X20 series has been flawless...so it does not count. for the 635 few people have it, so i can't say. For the 640...like i said JUST read the numerous threads around the world...along with 535 and 730 etc...and it mainly affects dual sim models...hell even 950 has issues...just go and check....

sure i did probably exagerate...but there are MANY MANY people with gps issues....and it probably is software related....as GPS receivers works perfectly with internet on !!!!!!
    12-28-2015 04:03 AM
    also just to clarify, like i stated on other posts...

in my case and various other people's; WHEN my device locks on a place with INTERNET enabled....it WILL work after that without needing internet!
    at my moms house for 2 weeks i NEVER got a GPS lock (offline); once i tested with data on...and of course it worked withing 6-8 seconds...
    after a few days i came back to my mom and tested OFFLINE....and it has been working since then...
    same STORY at my workplace and same story when i went to another country in various places...

ANY logical/technical explanation for this?
    12-28-2015 04:08 AM
    My wife and I drove around the boonies some over Christmas, where there was no cellular coverage at all, and naturally no Wi-Fi. Windows 10 Maps app with offline maps performed like a champ. T-Mobile 640 LTE.
    xandros9, libra89 and editguy like this.
    12-28-2015 09:19 AM
    I also used the GPS on my 640 while driving to visit my in-laws, including a couple of long (~ 1 hour) stretches with no cell service at all. The GPS worked fine.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-28-2015 10:46 PM
    yes there are many people with GPS working fine....thank GOD! as that it is how it's supposed to be ! from my reading it seems the problems with GPS on LUMIA devices is MOSTLY related to DUAL sims/unlocked models....some claim it started with DENIM update, others say its when they sent it to repair for some other defaults....some say gps worked for several weeks then died, other assure its a hardware related flaw, others had perfect GPS in 8.1 and no GPS on WM10 ! ...etc...
    as far as i am concerned it seems software as GPS apps like "gpsinfo" and "gps satellite" clearly indicate that the GPS receiver WORKS....rarely yes...but it works. also it ALWAYS works when i have "memorised" the lock-on via GPS+internet....so seems software.
    MAYBE an issue with ROM or dual sim HUGE bug....

hoping WM10 might be a little better for me...
    12-29-2015 02:24 AM
    GPS works great on my Lumia 640 even better than 920.
    12-29-2015 02:39 AM
    works fine on my tmobile 640

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    12-29-2015 05:03 AM
    Mee too experienced similar gps problem with 640

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...than-l620.html
    12-30-2015 03:27 AM
    Hi Dogec,
    I Completely agree with you which you wrote on 10-27-2015(first thread), as I am also facing the same issue. I tested the issue many times with internet and without internet(I also applied same set of steps like you before).
    If there is internet, GPS working like charm, but here maps came with a feature offline maps, so If 640 unable to find location without internet, then there is no use of offline maps.

Hi boonesmi,
    I also got succeeded in finding my location if internet connection is off in one scenario. Here are the steps
    1) Turn on Location in the Phone
    2) Turn on the Internet(data) connection
    3) Open Here drive
    4) GPS easily finds out your location
    5) Turn off Internet(data) connection
    6) Even if we Turn off the Internet, Here drive App is running and still continue finding location while moving to far distance.
    I am Happy with this path. Of course I followed the above steps for one time

Then I tried different approach to test
    3) Open Here drive
    6) Turn off Location
    7) Close here drive app
    8) Move away from the current position(at least few miles) where we turned off location and Internet
    9) Turn on Location
    10) Open Here drive or any other GPS based applications.

In this scenario, Here drive always showing "Looking For GPS", and some other GPS based applications remains in initializing state for long time, I waited for more than 5 mins, got frustrated and closed all GPS apps.

I request any one please follow my last steps and let me know how your 640 working, If most of the people succeeded in finding location then I came to conclusion that I got a defective piece.
    Last edited by Ravi Prakash Mutyala; 02-08-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    02-08-2016 08:18 AM
    Hi Dogec,
    I Completely agree with you which you wrote on 10-27-2015(first thread), as I am also facing the same issue. I tested the issue many times with internet and without internet(I also applied same set of steps like you before).
    If there is internet, GPS working like charm, but here maps came with a feature offline maps, so If 640 unable to find location without internet, then there is no use of offline maps.

Hi boonesmi,
    I also got succeeded in finding my location if internet connection is off in one scenario. Here are the steps
    3) Open Here drive
    6) Even if we Turn off the Internet, Here drive App is running and still continue finding location while moving to far distance.
    I am Happy with this path. Of course I followed the above steps for one time

Then I tried different approach to test
    3) Open Here drive
    6) Turn off Location
    7) Close here drive app
    8) Move away from the current position(at least few miles) where we turned off location and Internet
    9) Turn on Location
    10) Open Here drive or any other GPS based applications.

In this scenario, Here drive always showing "Looking For GPS", and some other GPS based applications remains in initializing state for long time, I waited for more than 5 mins, got frustrated and closed all GPS apps.

I request any one please follow my last steps and let me know how your 640 working, If most of the people succeeded in finding location then I came to conclusion that I got a defective piece.
    EXACT same CONCLUSIONS !!! enable/disable internet quickly is the ONLY way to get offline GPS working for long time. BUT if you CLOSE localization....and try to re-open again...well it won't WORK !
    02-08-2016 11:04 AM
    I don't experience any issues related to GPS. Had 521 without data, worked fine, wife has 635 without data, works fine. By the time I got 640, I haven't had data plan and GPS (Here drive) worked fine nevertheless, recently I got data plan and it works fine as before. Just now I don't have to worry about searching for POI address in advance.
    editguy likes this.
    02-08-2016 12:35 PM
    My GPS will connect on airplane mode. The only catch is that it takes a few minutes to lock on to enough satellites. With network on it locks on within seconds, most likely with GPS assist.
    02-09-2016 09:30 AM
    I've the same problem as yours . I've lumia 640 LTE and its GPS takes too much time to locate when initialize. Even some times it doesnt locate at all (I tried it for 15-20min). I've wp10 in phone.
    02-18-2016 12:55 AM
    Lumia 640 WP10 AT&T Unlocked, GPS working fine here.
    02-18-2016 06:22 AM
54 123