Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640

I recently bought, had it repaired en then trashed a Lumia 535. No matter what I tried the GPS function never worked properly. How does the Lumia 640 compare? Is the GPS module of the same ****ty quality or does it actually work?

After my initial experiences with the Lumia 535 I really got disgusted by Microsoft phones but might give them anaother trie.

Anyone can answer this question?

Thanks

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
maybe i just have lots of gps satellites overhead (north georgia) or maybe you have a defective phone
*Off topic** i learned something new tonight.. turning on airplane mode didn't disable gps. not sure why i thought it would.. its not like the phone is sending out a signal to the satellites, its just listening.

Thank You Boonesmi, Your tests helped me to know more about L640's GPS.
For months ago when bought my phone I was sure that GPS is defective and reclaimed it. But MS authorized service claimed that GPS works well "according to manufacturer specifications" and refused to replace it.
Using USB GPS receiver and software equipment I checked satellites visible from my place and found minimum 9 with good signals (4 are enough for sure fix). So, GPS signal is available, the phone GPS works "well" (according to MS), but in reality it can't get first fix without internet.
The confusing fact about Lumia 640's GPS is that many other people have the similar problem
Off topic - I also found that airplane mode doesn't disable GPS.
Thanks again !

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
As I wrote in earlier threads, I have issues with gps, too.
A fast fix is mostly only possible with data connection (cellular or wifi).
Without data connection, it can take hours until fix.
It depends on when and how far away it was used the last time.
The app "hardware tests" can show the source of the positioning: cellular, wifi or satellite and the accouracy also.

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
After 4 months of frustration with Lumia 640' GPS, I sold it and bought Motorola Moto G3.
The difference is incredible:
GPS is super sensitive, takes for offline first fix 2-3 sec everywhere in open and for 7-10 sec in forest, compass works very precise.
The phone lies in hand better, the screen is clearer, both cameras give excellent pictures, surfing is faster, multiple applications better supported.

The advantages of Android 5.x are already well known and all forced limitation of Windows "created" by MS finally are gone.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640

I have never had a problem with the GPS. Considering the price and the specs, I'm impressed with the L640. Just looking at Windows 10, I think that Microsoft may have a chance in the smartphone area as long as they don't drop the ball.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
535 has a bad GPS unit, My friends unit wouldn't find the location when my 525 picked the location within seconds, GPS problem is common in 535. currently I have the 640 lte and the gps works quickly.

but with windows 10 you have to have the data connection ON in order for gps to work. hoping they will fix it soon

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought, but when trying to initialize the GPS without a data connection... Do you have the map data downloaded for offline use? I tried starting up Here Maps without the wi-fi or cellular connection and it did put a dot on my screen for the location, but had no map data. I'll have to download the maps for my location one of these days, but it hasn't really been a priority for me up to this point.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Just a thought, but when trying to initialize the GPS without a data connection... Do you have the map data downloaded for offline use? I tried starting up Here Maps without the wi-fi or cellular connection and it did put a dot on my screen for the location, but had no map data. I'll have to download the maps for my location one of these days, but it hasn't really been a priority for me up to this point.

Seriously?..YES

If you don't have data how can you expect a phone with 8GB to have all your maps?
That is exactly they let you offline download any map you want.

GPS will work but if you want voice nav or maps you need to download those on wifi first before using it with no data.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
people! the problem is not with the maps or anything regarding apps! the problem resided inside the GPS receiver of the LUMIA phones! just uses apps like hardware test or gps satellite...and you WILL have PROOF that GPS DOES NOT WORK in 90% of the cases !!!!!!

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640

I feels you guys. Got a 640xl and gps often times does not know my current location with either wifi/cellular off. Cellular and Gps prob rely on each other to triangulate our positons.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
people! the problem is not with the maps or anything regarding apps! the problem resided inside the GPS receiver of the LUMIA phones! just uses apps like hardware test or gps satellite...and you WILL have PROOF that GPS DOES NOT WORK in 90% of the cases !!!!!!

Total BS I've had THREE lumias (520, 635 and 640) and their GPS has been spot on using GPS Calculator pro

I also have Garmin GPS units to verify

So before you spout off its likely user error

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Seriously?..YES

If you don't have data how can you expect a phone with 8GB to have all your maps?
That is exactly they let you offline download any map you want.

GPS will work but if you want voice nav or maps you need to download those on wifi first before using it with no data.

I went back and read the thread from the beginning. I misread it or misunderstood it the first time which is why I asked the question I did. I took a drive this afternoon with my L640 and shut off the wi-fi and cellular to test my phone. The GPS worked perfectly for me the entire drive home.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Total BS I've had THREE lumias (520, 635 and 640) and their GPS has been spot on using GPS Calculator pro

I also have Garmin GPS units to verify

So before you spout off its likely user error

X20 series has been flawless...so it does not count. for the 635 few people have it, so i can't say. For the 640...like i said JUST read the numerous threads around the world...along with 535 and 730 etc...and it mainly affects dual sim models...hell even 950 has issues...just go and check....

sure i did probably exagerate...but there are MANY MANY people with gps issues....and it probably is software related....as GPS receivers works perfectly with internet on !!!!!!

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
also just to clarify, like i stated on other posts...

in my case and various other people's; WHEN my device locks on a place with INTERNET enabled....it WILL work after that without needing internet!
at my moms house for 2 weeks i NEVER got a GPS lock (offline); once i tested with data on...and of course it worked withing 6-8 seconds...
after a few days i came back to my mom and tested OFFLINE....and it has been working since then...
same STORY at my workplace and same story when i went to another country in various places...

ANY logical/technical explanation for this?

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I drove around the boonies some over Christmas, where there was no cellular coverage at all, and naturally no Wi-Fi. Windows 10 Maps app with offline maps performed like a champ. T-Mobile 640 LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb