Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640

I recently bought, had it repaired en then trashed a Lumia 535. No matter what I tried the GPS function never worked properly. How does the Lumia 640 compare? Is the GPS module of the same ****ty quality or does it actually work?

After my initial experiences with the Lumia 535 I really got disgusted by Microsoft phones but might give them anaother trie.

Anyone can answer this question?

Thanks

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Basically all phones should have a working GPS. Even the 535.
Sounds like you just had a bad phone, they happen and aren't representative of a model as a whole. (all phones have defective units somewhere, that's what the warranty is for)

I will wager that the 640's GPS works, same with the 535. Its just a matter of getting a good phone, and there are much more good units than bad ones.

Petcu Alexandru

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I have lumia 640 dual sim and I'm getting ready to get rid of it...GPS almost never connects, screen turns green every now and then, the back cover (white version) starts to move, etc. Prior to this I had a lumia 820 (made by NOKIA) and that phone was sturdy as a brick. This 640 was my last Microsoft phone and I will go to android. In conclusion I wuld advise against getting this phone, aside the good battery, there is nothing of quality in this MS trash

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have lumia 640 dual sim and I'm getting ready to get rid of it...GPS almost never connects, screen turns green every now and then, the back cover (white version) starts to move, etc. Prior to this I had a lumia 820 (made by NOKIA) and that phone was sturdy as a brick. This 640 was my last Microsoft phone and I will go to android. In conclusion I wuld advise against getting this phone, aside the good battery, there is nothing of quality in this MS trash

You obviously got a defective phone as your problems are relatively rare and no phone has a 100% perfect manufacturing process.

Get it replaced under warranty. I recall hearing about defective 820's, defective Pre's, defective Q10's, iPhones on the fritz...

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You obviously got a defective phone as your problems are relatively rare and no phone has a 100% perfect manufacturing process.

Get it replaced under warranty. I recall hearing about defective 820's, defective Pre's, defective Q10's, iPhones on the fritz...
It reminds me of reviews on amazon where I will see an item trashed because they obviously got a defective one, instead of at least giving them a chance by exchanging it first. I myself have received items that didn't work quite right but always do at least one exchange before forming an opinion on something.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the GPS work on the Lumia 640

I just bought the 640 a couple of weeks ago and the navigation works well. I use navigation quite a bit for my job and no problems so far.
I would agree that you may have a defective phone.
I find this phone an excellent replacement for my 925 which is in my drawer as a backup.

Arc Angel 100

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a dual-sim 640, I really like the GPS, it works well enough that I've put my Garmin NUVI's away and use the 640 in their place (one less device to worry about each trip).
Cortana will find me the address, and offer to provide directions through "HERE", and I don't get annoying restaurant ads like I do with my Garmins

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Have Lumia 640 LTE (win 8.1 Update 2) for 4 months and only one problem - useless GPS.
GPS starts sometimes succesfully but needs 10 time more then my old good Lumia 520 one the same place, with same application and same mobile operatot.
Mostly GPS can't start and is not usable for any type of navigation.
I have 3 differrent navigation applications (driving, hiking and sailing) and GPS test tool also and all of them have the same problem: endless message "Initializing GPS"

I have complained and the MS authorized service tested my phone two times and found that "GPS works properly according to manufacturer specifications"

Now I am in an pat position: the service claims that GPS works well but I can't use it for navigation

To be sure that my phone still has broken GPS, I am asking for answer the people who reported Lumia 640 with good GPS:
"Did You test Your GPS with or without internet ?"
"How many seconds takes GPS to start (initialize) usually ?"
With internet many GPS can start and work, but good GPS should start and work without internet, even without SIM card.

I have also one question for moderator:

You stated "Basically all phones should have a working GPS".
Is it normally that 3 people on this forum report good GPS but other 3 reported bad GPS for very new model as is Lumia 640 ? Is that just a manufacturing failure for You?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have also one question for moderator:

You stated "Basically all phones should have a working GPS".
Is it normally that 3 people on this forum report good GPS but other 3 reported bad GPS for very new model as is Lumia 640 ? Is that just a manufacturing failure for You?

1. A sample size of 6 people out of who-knows-how-many 640's sold is nowhere near enough to make any sort of conclusion. We can conclude at least 3 people have working GPS and at least 3 people don't. That number is all but useless.

2. We hear from a LOT more people with problems than people without - if you did have working GPS, would you have come here to post its working fine? People with issues search about it and complain here/look for solutions here, people without issues don't seek out support forums. So posts here are skewed towards being more negative by a lot. (check out Apple's support stuff too, its almost all problems despite iDevices being some of the best quality-wise.)

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Thank You for answer.
Do You have reliable information that L640 has good GPS that can start as quickly as GPS in Lumia 520 and work without internet ? Is GPS in L640 designed to work without internet ?
I know that L640 has the same gpsOne Gen 8A chip as the L520 has and that was the reason why I bought L640.
In reality, GPS in Lumia 520 takes 3-5 sec. to start almost everywhere. In a wood, mountins and in areas with low GPS reception it needs about 15 sec for satellite connection. In opposite to, GPS in Lumia 640 usually can't start even in areas with excellent satellite visibility. All tests and comparisons I made without internet.
With internet GPS works but what if there is no internet ?
I am really confused:
is GPS in my L640 broken or simply designed to work with internet only ?
Do You know the answer ?

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
"Works great on my 640."
Please more information.
I am trying to detect is 640's GPS designed to work with internet only or not. My GPS for example, will start with internet (not always !), than continue to work without internet, but mainly will not start without internet.
If internet is not available, my GPS is totally useless.

Do You start navigation application when internet is off or on ? (No matter what internet, wi-fi or celular)
Do You switch GPS on before navigation application or GPS is always on ?

Why is that important ?
Every navigation application or GPS test tool can get phone location from 3 sources: celular, wi-fi or satellite.
Most people think that their GPS works well because they have internet always on (or GPS always on).

So, if You use Your application when internet is on, please check its start when internet is off.
Also if You want to test Your GPS properly, is very important to switch internet and GPS off, then drive a couple of miles (best outside of Your place) and then test Your GPS.

If You get the same or some new results, please share it with us.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
"Works great on my 640."
Please more information.
I am trying to detect is 640's GPS designed to work with internet only or not. My GPS for example, will start with internet (not always !), than continue to work without internet, but mainly will not start without internet.
If internet is not available, my GPS is totally useless.

Do You start navigation application when internet is off or on ? (No matter what internet, wi-fi or celular)
Do You switch GPS on before navigation application or GPS is always on ?

Why is that important ?
Every navigation application or GPS test tool can get phone location from 3 sources: celular, wi-fi or satellite.
Most people think that their GPS works well because they have internet always on (or GPS always on).

So, if You use Your application when internet is on, please check its start when internet is off.
Also if You want to test Your GPS properly, is very important to switch internet and GPS off, then drive a couple of miles (best outside of Your place) and then test Your GPS.

If You get the same or some new results, please share it with us.

There was a thread about this (or at least very similar) a few months back. I did a test myself starting GPS with cellular data and with wifi data. I had no issues at all with navigation with where I was going. The connection was never lost either. There was also a few times when I was unsure of where I was going while outside (not because of the GPS but because I forgot how to get there or it was a new location to me) so I would start up the Here maps to have an idea of where I should go next. That hasn't failed me either.

Found the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-huge-flaw-all-newish-windows-phones-gps.html

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
dogec: my gps has always worked great, after reading your posts i did a little experiment.

i turned off wifi and pulled out the sim card. booted up the phone. then opened my map app. within about 2 seconds it put the location dot about a block and a half away. (my first thought was. dang thats not very accurate). but within another couple seconds the dot moved right on my house.

so at least for me and my testing, internet was not required.

*edit to add: i have a t-mobile lumia 640. on win 8.1

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
so at least for me and my testing, internet was not required.
*edit to add: i have a t-mobile lumia 640. on win 8.1

Thanks for information. To be sure that You have a good GPS may I ask You to test offline start next time when You away from Your place (when driving, walking or biking) and share Your experience with us ?
I am pointing out the term "cold start" what means that You move away from Your place keeping internet off and then start GPS.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for information. To be sure that You have a good GPS may I ask You to test offline start next time when You away from Your place (when driving, walking or biking) and share Your experience with us ?
I am pointing out the term "cold start" what means that You move away from Your place keeping internet off and then start GPS.

same result. worked fine.

i read your post while at walmart waiting for tires to be put on my truck. so i shut everything off before heading home. once home i was able to start up my map app and it found my location in about 5 or 6 seconds

seems like you might have a defective unit.

my wife also has a lumia 640. exact same model and firmware, but hers was bought at walmart right when they were released, and i got mine at frys much later (and much cheaper :) it was during the $69 one day promo code promotion. its by far the cheapest ive seen the t-mobile version)

anyway just for kicks and giggles ill test hers tonight. im feeling the urge for a late night snack.. ill shut off all internet (wifi and carrier) then ill turn it off. once i get to quicktrip ill boot it up and check how long the gps takes

Last edited:

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
gps worked great on her phone also.

i booted up the phone and started up the map app. it was still zoomed in on our home (but no location dot there). once i clicked the thing to go to the location it slid the map right over to where i was (about 2 miles from home) there was no delay at all.

maybe i just have lots of gps satellites overhead (north georgia) or maybe you have a defective phone

**Off topic** i learned something new tonight.. turning on airplane mode didn't disable gps. not sure why i thought it would.. its not like the phone is sending out a signal to the satellites, its just listening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb