[L640] US compatibility?

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
BHPhoto.com has posted "expected availability May 29th" for Lumia 640 and 640 XL. One person posted that this site does a good job of posting specifications, so I'm hoping the info they post will enable me to make an informed choice, otherwise, I'll probably hold out until I can purchase from Microsoft.com or Amazon.com or ? Sites like Expansys-USA.com provide very little info. regarding the model they are selling so I'm not inclined to purchase from that source.

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
For reference, the Cricket model (which uses the AT&T network) is the RM-1073-1002. But initial reports say it is locked to Cricket. I just got mine yesterday and hope to pop my AT&T SIM in soon to see what happens.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
BHPhoto.com has posted "expected availability May 29th" for Lumia 640 and 640 XL. One person posted that this site does a good job of posting specifications, so I'm hoping the info they post will enable me to make an informed choice, otherwise, I'll probably hold out until I can purchase from Microsoft.com or Amazon.com or ? Sites like Expansys-USA.com provide very little info. regarding the model they are selling so I'm not inclined to purchase from that source.

Yes, B&H always does that for every phone they sell, and they are great for that. I'm going to assume that their model should work just fine on T-Mo and AT&T.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
The price listed at B&H is $270 for the XL LTE, or $170 more than the T-Mobile 640 and $140 more than the Cricket 640. That's insane. You're getting slightly better specs (better camera, bigger screen, lower resolution, same chip and ram) for the privilege of paying twice as much (or more) money. You can buy a new ("other") Note 3 for around that price. I'm glad I went with the Zenfone 2 and LG G2 (waiting on both, will keep one) instead of waiting.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The price listed at B&H is $270 for the XL LTE, or $170 more than the T-Mobile 640 and $140 more than the Cricket 640. That's insane. You're getting slightly better specs (better camera, bigger screen, lower resolution, same chip and ram) for the privilege of paying twice as much (or more) money. You can buy a new ("other") Note 3 for around that price. I'm glad I went with the Zenfone 2 and LG G2 (waiting on both, will keep one) instead of waiting.
Note that it is also unlocked though, so of course it will be more. T-Mo's and Cricket's are locked to their carriers so you would have to wait until it can be unlocked.

Also, some of us are not into big sized phones. I think the size of the 640 is great and I hope that Microsoft will continue to make 5in phones.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Note that it is also unlocked though, so of course it will be more. T-Mo's and Cricket's are locked to their carriers so you would have to wait until it can be unlocked.

Also, some of us are not into big sized phones. I think the size of the 640 is great and I hope that Microsoft will continue to make 5in phones.
Unlocked phones are better anyway.
Not really a fan of big sized phones I had 1320 sure but got use to the size. But for me ideally wasn't practical. I had a 830 before but sold awhile back regret it now. But the regular 640 should suffice for now or go to Android with a Galaxy or something.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

I completely understand they are unlocked, but in no way does that justify a 200% or more uptick in price over the locked 640. The 640 XL is competing with the likes of the unlocked $199 Zenfone 2, which blows it away in specs. And older flagships like the LG G2, LG G3, Note 2 and Note 3. All the aforementioned phones are priced in the $200-$300+ range new, and they all have specs far and away higher than the 640 XL. I understand specs aren't everything, but I just don't see how they are going to move these if they cost closer to $300 than $200. Just my opinion.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

Also, if the 640 came with matte finishes (not the generic looking matte black) I'd for sure would have considered one, but those glossy back covers reek of cheapness and are fingerprint magnets. And I don't like cases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99