So has anyone actually tried putting their AT&T sim in a Cricket Lumia 640?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Speculation seems to be all over the place. Some saying that their phones are *possibly* locked to the SIM card they came with, some saying it will *probably* or *most likely* work since Cricket is owned by AT&T.

...but has anyone actually tried it yet so it can be confirmed to either work or not work?

I swung by the local Cricket place last night and even saw the Lumia 640 there... but they'd already closed by time I got there.

Last edited:

Bubblefat

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: So has anyone actually tried the Cricket Lumia 640 on AT&T US?

Got it, and it's great. The network speeds are roughly the same as the ATT GoPhone version of the 635. I'm a truck driver and I was told that I can expect about the same level, though since most carriers prioritize their data, I may get slower speeds at times but that's fine. As long as I get the same coverage map, I am good. Phone is great, and Cricket gave me a good deal. Charged me for the $40 plan, and gave me the $50 on trial.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I think what's he's asking is if he got a 640 could he put his SIM card into. The general belief is no. Have to unlock it after 6 months. Untill someone proves otherwise...

AntiAB

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

Nope. Tried putting my AT&T sim into a Cricket L635 and nothing.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Ah, my mistake. Title was a bit misleading.
I figured "Cricket Lumia 640" followed by any network that is not Cricket would make my intent dead obvious, but I modified the thread title anyway.

I did get some interesting info though... went to our local Cricket store and they had the Lumia 640 there where I could play with it.

The new settings menu is a bit weird now that I'm used to the *crappy* one the rest of the world has, Lumia Camera 5 is - of course - awesome, and it's really everything we'd expect... it's essentially an apology and a correction for all the mistakes make in the Lumia 635.

Their manager actually told me that the phone WAS unlocked (he actually told me a lot of their new phones are factory unlocked), and allowed me to pop my SIM card into it. The demo firmware it was on locked me out of being able to play with APN and whatnot, but it saw my entire number just fine and trying to search for networks actually brought up a couple of AT&T's operator codes (311060 was one I recall seeing, and there were others that had 2G, 2G/3G, 3G/4G and 4G configs).

He also noted that blue wasn't the only color they had (thank GOD!), and I was sold... unfortunately their store wasn't allowed to just sell a phone without activation. If I can find it at Target or WalMart and they'll just let me buy it, I feel like a little tinkering will get it working fully on AT&T.

Posted via Tapatalk from my Surface 3 (128GB/4GB)

Last edited:

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Speculation seems to be all over the place. Some saying that their phones are *possibly* locked to the SIM card they came with, some saying it will *probably* or *most likely* work since Cricket is owned by AT&T.

...but has anyone actually tried it yet so it can be confirmed to either work or not work?

I swung by the local Cricket place last night and even saw the Lumia 640 there... but they'd already closed by time I got there.

How is the return policy? At least on WP8 what I'd do is flash a variant ROM using Nokia Care Suite.
EDIT: Have done the same procedure with success on other brands, and on different carriers. i.e Huawei W7 on Tracfone

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw, on twitter Paul thurrott posted a screenshot using an ATT sim on the cricket Lumia 640 and it didn't work.
Ouch. Thanks for that though.

Now we've got something concrete... and someone who's very much so worth following on Twitter.

... now I guess I'll just have to wait for Expansys to come to their senses and drop the price on their 640.

Last edited:

AntiAB

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Ouch. Thanks for that though.

Now we've got something concrete... and someone who's very much so worth following on Twitter.

... now I guess I'll just have to wait for Expansys to come to their senses and drop the price on their 640.

Expansys holds a Unlocked,Dual SIM,LTE variant I doubt they are going to price it any lower than they already have it at.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: So has anyone actually tried putting their AT&T sim in a Cricket Lumia 640?

Expansys holds a Unlocked,Dual SIM,LTE variant I doubt they are going to price it any lower than they already have it at.
It's worth mentioning that the Cricket version of this is the LTE variant, so they're no different in that regard (sans the obvious lte band differences that come with regions). Unlock code? $4.99 ~ $9.99 in value... and it's also worth mentioning that when the Lumia 535 was released, it's Newegg pricing was at $140.99 for the single-SIM... so it also must've cost more for the dual-SIM, right? Wrong, it was also $140.99. It's just a dollar less now, actually - but the dual-SIM and single-SIM still cost the same.

Microsoft Lumia 535 Cyan Unlocked (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...mia_535-_-75-177-006-_-Product&token=dFqDK09j)
Microsoft Lumia 535 Cyan Unlocked | Dual SIM (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...mia_535-_-75-177-012-_-Product&token=DYgW-wiR)

So if we were trying to imply that the second SIM slot should make the price significantly greater, that's yet another thing we can throw out. It's a given that we'll have to play by Expansys' rules either way, my point is that the only discernable differences (unlocked, extra SIM tray) do not justify a ~200% price margin.

Last edited:

malman89

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
AT&T phone hierarchy trickles down, not up. AT&T contract phones work on GoPhone plans and Cricket. Cricket plans do not work up on 'higher' AT&T service.

Cricket is fantastic, by the way. Unless you have some grandfathered unlimited data/super cheap plan, it's nothing to scoff at. 8 down cap is real, but what do you need more than 8 for if you don't have unlimited data? Nothing. I enjoy my $35/month for unlimited talk/text and 2.5GB LTE with AT&T's great nationwide service.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
AT&T phone hierarchy trickles down, not up. AT&T contract phones work on GoPhone plans and Cricket. Cricket plans do not work up on 'higher' AT&T service.

Cricket is fantastic, by the way. Unless you have some grandfathered unlimited data/super cheap plan, it's nothing to scoff at. 8 down cap is real, but what do you need more than 8 for if you don't have unlimited data? Nothing. I enjoy my $35/month for unlimited talk/text and 2.5GB LTE with AT&T's great nationwide service.

Thanks... That's all I needed to hear to get me to switch from TMO to cricket.. 8Mbps is plenty fast for a phone...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

dizzydevil78

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tested across to another MVNO such as Consumer Cellular? I thought about buying this phone if they'd let me without a plan AND I can verify in the store that it's not locked. It might be best to wait for AT&T variants.

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: So has anyone actually tried putting their AT&T sim in a Cricket Lumia 640?

I'm thinking about grabbing a 640 this morning from Cricket. That is if they have one in Stock.

Do anyone know if it'll work on straight talk or not?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ponytl

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes it can be done pretty simple... Now I did it on a "gophone" from walmart (at&t) I had the sim card from my sons destroyed Iphone 5c
I got the Nokia lumina 640 (now microsoft) phone
before I powered it up I removed the simcard from the 640 it is Larger then the sim card from the Iphone but it's all in the plastic around the actual simcard
to make my simcard "larger" i took the simcard from the 640 and traced around it with a razor ex-acto knife onto.... you know the clear plastic containers from the grocery store that the blue berries / cherry tomatoes come in... thin clear plastic I cut it to the exact size of the 640sim card
and made special note of exactly where the contacts lined up on it compared to my smaller iphone sim card and with one small spot of super glue glued the back of my iphone card to the clear plastic i had cut out... slid it in the phone (tight fit) powered up the phone... it went into set up mode and works perfect with my regular at&t service this was for my 12yo who had been through 4 screens on his Iphone and numerous batteries... and he LOVES this phone it's windows based 8.1 but he updated to windows 10 already... he is a techie and is really impressed with this phone way better than his iphone5c he says... and for $79 i'm good to go... he says I should get them to replace the other 3 iphones in the house

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft has a hit on their hands with the 640. Before it came out I almost never saw a windows phone out in the wild. Since the advent of the 640, especially at Wal-Mart, AT&T and Cricket I see them alot now. I even bought one to use and give my old (but every good) Nokia 820 a rest. Screen is outstanding and battery life great. I just hope they come out with W10 for phones before they shovel dirt in my face.

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft has a hit on their hands with the 640. Before it came out I almost never saw a windows phone out in the wild. Since the advent of the 640, especially at Wal-Mart, AT&T and Cricket I see them alot now. I even bought one to use and give my old (but every good) Nokia 820 a rest. Screen is outstanding and battery life great. I just hope they come out with W10 for phones before they shovel dirt in my face.

i've seen a few of them out in the wild too. makes sense. it's about on par with the moto g for what it offers, yet half the price. i think some of the low buck MVNOs like cricket and metro pcs are actually pushing them in stores. which has to help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss