640 sold out at Walmart on day 1

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm impressed. I checked availability of the phone at my local walmart yesterday and it was in stock. I went today and the rack was empty. Checked online again today and the 640 is sold out at every Walmart within 50 miles of me. I think Microsoft/T-Mobile has a winner on its hands... I think the $99 price point is a winner. Even $5 more and it would seem too expensive..

TooLazyToComment

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Walmart Lumia 640 SoCal

Anyone lucky enough to nab a 640 at any Walmart in Los Angeles area?? Went to 3 different Walmarts near me and no sign of its existence at all.. No price sign, no placeholders, and none of the employees know about it. Too bad it's sold out online.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm impressed. I checked availability of the phone at my local walmart yesterday and it was in stock. I went today and the rack was empty. Checked online again today and the 640 is sold out at every Walmart within 50 miles of me. I think Microsoft/T-Mobile has a winner on its hands... I think the $99 price point is a winner. Even $5 more and it would seem too expensive..
But how many did they have to begin with? It's easy to sell out when you only have a couple in stock for instance. I just hope that if it becomes a success like the Lumia 521, Microsoft doesn't drop the ball and take forever to bring out a successor. I don't just mean flagships but another low to mid-range successor. This phone should've come out when those who'd bought the 521 were starting to their upgrade. It's one of the reasons I ended up going to Android for a while since at the time there wasn't a worthy successor in my opinion.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't think they had that many every walmart I been to only had 4 or so on the shelf

Last edited:

ghaleon92

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Walmart Lumia 640 SoCal

i was lucky to grab one at the city of industry Walmart on Friday it was the last one they had in stock. i wish you luck on finding one its a nice phone really snappy and quick and the screen is a lot better than i thought it be. i bought that one for my nephew and i have one coming from t mobile that i am going to give my dad. since they were unable to cancel my order :eck: but oh well this works out i guess.

comicalmoodydan

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Walmart Lumia 640 SoCal

i was lucky to grab one at the city of industry Walmart on Friday it was the last one they had in stock. i wish you luck on finding one its a nice phone really snappy and quick and the screen is a lot better than i thought it be. i bought that one for my nephew and i have one coming from t mobile that i am going to give my dad. since they were unable to cancel my order :eck: but oh well this works out i guess.

I feel like I was very lucky to get mine as well, only one they had at my local Walmart. I really like the phone and am very impressed with it especially for the price. Checking today 17 Walmart's in a 50 mile radius of me and not one of them has any in stock.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they had that many every walmart I been to inky head 4 or so on the shelf

Yes I wonder too how many they had in the first place. I was watching closely for the 640 at my local Walmart. Finally, there was one on the hangar, along with a couple of those hanging cards, whatever they mean. A couple days later the phone was gone. So, I can say that my Walmart sold out. From all appearances, quantity of one.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Even $5 more and it would seem too expensive..

Have to politely disagree with you on that. I paid $130 from T-Mobile. (Bought it through T-Mobile using the Jump! program. Much cheaper to me that way since they paid off the $400+ dollars I owed on my M8.) I think it's quite reasonable at $130. Not much more, though.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I found one near me last Wednesday. Bought it. Sold it on eBay in an auction that lasted all of 24 minutes for mad profit. Let's keep these rare and I can use the money I make off them for the 940XL :)

TooLazyToComment

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Holy crap! Called another Walmart and surprisingly they have 1 in stock. Told them to hold the item for me and 10mins later I finally got this elusive phone in my hand! Happy father's day to me!

BTW I would definitely call them instead of checking their website since we don't know how frequently they update their online database. It still says not in stock within 50miles and yet I got one. Good luck to you guys!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Have to politely disagree with you on that. I paid $130 from T-Mobile. (Bought it through T-Mobile using the Jump! program. Much cheaper to me that way since they paid off the $400+ dollars I owed on my M8.) I think it's quite reasonable at $130. Not much more, though.
T-mobile store or T-mobile website?

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local WalMart and they had one in stock. I really wanted to grab it too but t-mobile is horrible in my area. So I waited an hour and grabbed one from Cricket.

I may try and convert my entire family over to Windows from Apple.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Holy crap! Called another Walmart and surprisingly they have 1 in stock. Told them to hold the item for me and 10mins later I finally got this elusive phone in my hand! Happy father's day to me!

BTW I would definitely call them instead of checking their website since we don't know how frequently they update their online database. It still says not in stock within 50miles and yet I got one. Good luck to you guys!

In theory, every time a phone is scanned for sale, it shows on the overall inventory. So, they should have up to date info on the stock available.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited by a moderator:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well it's the less than 100 mentality :p majority of the people when they see triple digits = it's to expensive.

Which is why use see adverts saying it's only "99 cents!" or "99 pence!" not "it's only a dollar!" or "it's only a pound!"

However you do get a lot of bang for your buck with the 640 at $99 dollars.

I found one near me last Wednesday. Bought it. Sold it on eBay in an auction that lasted all of 24 minutes for mad profit. Let's keep these rare and I can use the money I make off them for the 940XL :)

To Quote Dell Doy (David Jason) from Only Fools and Horses...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This time next year we'll be millionaires!

Good luck with that hustle! :winktongue:
[/FONT]

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I checked the Walmart web site before I went to bed on Friday. There were several stores close to me with 3 and 4 each. Went to buy one the next day and they were already sold out at the store I went to. Checked online again and the none of the nearby stores had any more in stock. It looks like none of the stores had very many, but still, they sold as soon as they went up for sale.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm impressed and disappointed.

Are these phones that popular? Are there that many of "us?" Well, it's great for sales number for Walmart and Microsoft. Anyways... I WANT ONE FOR $99 TOO!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99