Hi all, I have a weird intermittent problem on the 640. The on screen keyboard doesn't appear when touching text-entry fields.

The only solution is a reboot. Anyone else getting this? Next step will be a reset and set up from scratch.
    06-25-2015 10:02 AM
    I also have the same problem with keyboard keep disappearing with my Lumia 540 that I bought last week. When I do a reset, the keyboard comes back then a day later it disappears again. This is very frustrating. Appreciate any help out there!
    07-02-2015 07:21 AM
    Same problem on my lumia 735 since yesterday. Looked at every setting but no result. I see a blank canvas popping up but no keyboard on it.
    Any help appreciated

Vincent
    07-31-2015 02:08 PM
    Since when has this started happening? May I guess , since the last update? Sometimes it happened that I don't get the cursor displayed but nothing this serious though.
    07-31-2015 04:12 PM
    AFAIK I did not do any updates recently.

The only thing that happened was that I was in airplane mode when my battery gave up.
    I recharged my phone, switched it back on and then the problem started.

What I found out in the mean time is that it is related to activating bluetooth on my phone.
    When I switch bluetooth off the keyboard functions without any problem.
    Switching BT on again makes it disappear.

Tried every combination of airplane mode, BT activation, switching on/off, but no result to get BT and Keyboard activated at the same time

Regards,
    Vincent
    08-03-2015 11:07 AM
    What I found out in the mean time is that it is related to activating bluetooth on my phone.
    When I switch bluetooth off the keyboard functions without any problem.
    Switching BT on again makes it disappear.

Tried every combination of airplane mode, BT activation, switching on/off, but no result to get BT and Keyboard activated at the same time
    You are correct. My phone keyboard doesn't work when BT is activated. I'm not sure if it has worked OK earlier or not.

I noticed that when the other day I started pairing my Lumia 640 with my computer BT because I had connected a new BT dongle to my computer. But I could not type the pairing code with my phone because the keyboard was not working at all. Keyboard didn't show up. But I was clever enough to use my Logitech BT keyboard which I had paired with Lumia 640 some time ago. With Logitech BT keyboard I could write the pairing code and got Lumia paired with computer BT (dongle).

BTW vcoppije, have you ever connected/paired any BT keyboard to your Lumia phone? Could that be the reason?

I think that at least in my case the paired BT keyboard is what causes the problem.
    Last edited by Diamond67; 08-04-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added stuff
    08-04-2015 07:00 AM
    I just noticed this same problem. I find that in my case it is also related to bluetooth. My phone connects to my Misfit Flash on my wrist and won't even bring up the keyboard as long as bluetooth is enabled. In another thread I noted that I also experience significantly reduced wifi speeds with bluetooth on. Either this is a bug or I'm starting to wonder if there is a defect.
    08-20-2015 09:14 AM
    yes i also suffered with this problem,but when checked in my phone lumia 540 bt is in enabled ,for appering the keyboard plz desable the bluetooth and restart the phone then you will get back keyboard appear
    11-01-2015 03:55 PM
    Try to turn off the swipe function. Its working for me with Hungarian keyboard.
    03-06-2016 05:19 AM
    Okay, I know it's an old thread, but, since it's been "bumped" already, I'll just state this:
    The Lumia 640 is compatible with Bluetooth keyboards. You can pair a Bluetooth keyboard and use it to type with.

If the phone detects that one of your paired devices has "keyboard abilities", then the on-screen keyboard will not show up. After all, it would be aggravating for people who are using a Bluetooth keyboard for entry if the on-screen keyboard kept getting in the way. So, it's by design.

That being said, there are probably some bugs in how it hides, etc. This generally is a problem only on phones that have ever had a keyboard paired, or something that "reports" to have keyboard functionality.

I never had the issue myself, but have read about it, so thought I would pass on what knowledge I gained.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-11-2016 09:37 AM
    This is very annoying problem, because there is a fix, as I don't have this on my 950. I use a Band 2. My wife has a 640, and I just bought her a Band 2. Apparently her phone (either the hardware, firmware or OS (current "Outsider")) sees the Band 2 as a keyboard-able device which is technically true but not useful--it shuts down her phone screen keyboard. Is this the OS? Should I bump the phone to Insider W10?
    04-05-2016 06:50 AM
    Whatever you do, DO NOT GO INSIDER. This will create more problems than fix them. I'm on the insider fast programme and have countless problems with my Lumia 950, band 2 and continuum.
    04-05-2016 06:54 AM
    I was thinking about slow ring for her 640.
    04-05-2016 07:12 AM
    The slow ring is a safer alternative, but in my experience any version of insider build tends to fix one problem and create several more. As an insider I cannot get my band 2 to connect to Cortana or get the keyboard to work. Also, it tends to drop Bluetooth a lot. The insider build and gadgets app aren't talking to one another, which means that proper synching is just not an option right now.

I don't want to put you off, but it's worth approaching the insider programme with caution, especially if you're hoping it'll solve any current issues you're having
    04-06-2016 05:23 AM
    I deleted all of my BT pairings (some of them I hadn't used in a while) and then repaired only the devices that I still use.... seems to have solved the problem. To delete pairings, go into bluetooth settings, hold down the selected pairing and "Delete" should pop up.
    12-11-2017 10:14 AM
    This solve my problem as well. Keyboard wont show up for any of the Office apps.
    Remember to do a power on reset after removing BT paired devices.
    04-25-2018 01:57 AM