635 to 640 worth it?

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Happy with my 635 just wish the screen was better and more ram honestly.
This seems to be a good upgrade. Also has better camera and front camera.

The 635 only used like 4.3-4.4 of the screen, since the keys where always in the way during playback.
Honestly it feels like I'm going from a 4.3 to a 5.0 imo.

Also since it's the same processor is performance the same even with the extra ram and having to drive a 720p display opposed to a 480p?
If anyone upgraded from 635 please tell me your thoughts.

I piratically upgrade every year for $100! Got 521 in July, then 635 in july, and now likely 640 in July. :D

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Other than the obvious upgrades like ram, is it faster?
Was the 512mb of ram holding it back?

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The 640 has 1 gig of RAM.
It's a much better device than the 635.

Yeah, but in real world usage, can you actually tell a difference besides being able to run certain games? That's something I'd like to know myself. Higher specs doesn't always translate into better performance. Does it in this particular case in real world usage?

Allen Brandt

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have both phones

With the 640, you see less of the "resuming" screen while switching apps (likely due to the bigger memory), but once opened, I don't see any noticeable difference.

The 640 screen is nicer (sharper), there's a better camera with a flash, and I'm a big fan of the tap on/off feature, as it eliminates the wear on the power button.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I Upgraded a couple months back from a 630.Its definitely worth it with the bigger display more ram,the camera is nicer plus the front facing one.My only concern though at this stage is that there's gonna be another phone I want around the corner.All round though I'm happy and I I know the 640 will perform better than the 635 when w10 for phones is complete

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
also the 640 has band 12 (which t-mobile has already started implementing here in atlanta) so should get good signal deep inside buildings and basements.

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, but in real world usage, can you actually tell a difference besides being able to run certain games? That's something I'd like to know myself. Higher specs doesn't always translate into better performance. Does it in this particular case in real world usage?

Yehhh I actually want to point out . I have used and tested 512 mb ram Lumia vs 1gb ram Lumia. In terms of this points

1.After Lumia cyan update 512 mb ram devices facing more problem of internet explorer crashing..
2.app resuming
3.tiles animation lags in start screen after closing certain apps.sometimes tiles rewrites also goes blank.

This some issues occurs very rarely in Lumia devices having 1gb ram but they are frequent in 512 mb ram.
That's why all Lumia phones coming from Microsoft almost entry level also have minimum 1gb ram. To make device future proof it's necessary.

Nothing wrong with your statement.
But here in this post its all about Lumia 635 and 640. 512mb vs 1gb ram.
And Lumia 640 is surely better.

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I've had a Lumia 630 and it would crash whenever I browsed certain web sites or used demanding apps (not games), the 512mb ram was to blame. My 640 with 1GB ram no longer crashes doing those same tasks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I had the 521 before the 640, and it is so worth it. Also, there's Glance, motion data (if you're into tracking your footsteps), NFC, and of course, the front facing camera. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there's also being able to swipe the buttons away. Are you able to do that on the 635?

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully I can find it in a week or so, when I buy one.
Seems that the first couple of weeks, the phone might be hard to find.

Still not sure how Amazon doesn't have it yet.
Seems to be rather limited stock

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully I can find it in a week or so, when I buy one.
Seems that the first couple of weeks, the phone might be hard to find.

Still not sure how Amazon doesn't have it yet.
Seems to be rather limited stock
You can order it from the Microsoft store (online), Walmart.com (on the listing page, you can see a store locator option, but call before going to Walmart if you can), and now Best Buy too (but I think you have to activate a line of service). That's for the t-mobile version.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...m%2Fen-us%2Fstore%2Fb%2Fmobile&token=LcVXRAPV

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Smartphone-T-Mobile%2F44618323&token=Hk-XfJID

Last edited:

drew_t

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I own both the 635 and the 640. I don't play games, so can't comment on that. For me, the 635 was almost unusable as a web browser, crashing frequently. The 640 is much better, though still not perfect (initially using IE, now Edge). The screen is nicer, the camera is somewhat better, and there is an LED for camera flash and flashlight. For $100, it's a worthwhile update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs