International Version and Internet Sharing on T-Mobile (and regular T-Mo version)

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping to purchase the international version of the Lumia 640 from Amazon because I have some gift card money I'd rather use over my real money :winktongue:. I'm looking for a temporary replacement for my cracked screen Lumia 920, which is from AT&T. I dropped it back late fall of 2014, and I was waiting for the W10 phones to release this year, but I'm not sure how much longer I can deal without being able to tether. I cannot get internet sharing to work at all on T-Mobile, and I've tried quite a few things already.

$129 + tax on Microsoft's website. $167.76 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Lumia 640 White - Factory Unlocked - International Version - No Warranty: Cell Phones & Accessories

Does anyone have the international version of the Lumia 640? I have a few questions:

1. Does it work well on T-Mobile?
2. Does internet sharing work on T-Mobile (also a question for those who bought it from T-Mobile or Microsoft too)?
3. I've never had a phone with an SD card, so how would it work if I were to say restore my apps from backup? I have over 16 GB of stuff on my current phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I only have an answer for your last question. As long as you are using 8.1 on your previous windows phone, the restoring is straight forward. If your apps are on the SD card, it will restore the app but without your info. Otherwise your apps are easily restored with info.

When setting up my 640 from my 521 with 8.1, the alarms restored easily from one phone to the other.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile 640.
Internet sharing works flawlessly for me over WiFi.

Posted from the ZenFone2 via the WC app for Android

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I might just have to fork over my real money in the T-Mobile store assuming they have it in store. Otherwise, I'll order it on Microsoft (for T-Mobile).

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I decided to buy from Microsoft because there's free shipping. Plus, I get a student discount. Score! I almost bought it without considering the student discount because I thought it only applied to software and not phones. :)

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Good decision. I bought from Microsoft because of free shipping, 30-day return policy, free Nokia headset included (limited time offer), warranty.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
My 640 was tethering slow speeds but in my upgrading to the latest build it bricked on me when I flashed it back to 8.1 it fixed everything for me my tethering speeds are now back to how my 635 is. I recommend using the restore to flash 8.1 and even if u are on 8.1 it seems to have fixed my issues I have with hotspot and WiFi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99