First time on Windows phone

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Finally I ordered my first Windows Phone from flipkart, what I didn't like is in India 640 is only available in dual SIM while I wanted a single SIM not a big issue. I am a long android user, since 2010 till now.
I will appriciate if you can help me in following areas, my migration to windows platform will be smoother.
1. What is equivalent to google keep? ( I use checklist option in keep a lot to track and complete tasks)
2. How did you copy your gmail contacts to Windows phone? I tried it via outlook and noticed it misses additional phone numbers if contact has 2 mobile phone numbers. Also photos are not imported.
3. Does WP has outlook authentication app? ( I use it on android )
4. I extensively use Flickr as my photo backup due it its large free storage, all my family members are linked in Flickr and I have around 6k+ photos on flickr. What flickr apps are available on WP?

Any other tips/guide for google/android user you want to suggest?

Singhonline

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Authentication app is here,wp will automatically synchronize google contacts,I use OneNote than google keep . I also move first time to windows phone after 3years android usages. I am finding it better on basic tasks .

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think al that you should do I just t add another account and your phone will sync it all for you.
For checklist you have OneNote, insanely useful app.

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Just tried OneNote, I am sure it is way too powerful. However it is extremely confusing. Is there any simple alternative like google keep?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
There's also EverNote, and various others. As for flickr apps on WP, I'm not sure but if you search "flickr" in the store, some might come up.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Has any one installed HERE maps on 640? How do they work? Is there enough space for HERE maps?

Here maps are supposed to be preinstalled on your device, same as the HERE Drive. And yes I have tried them and again like most stuff on this phone it workes perfectly. You can set your current location, your future destinations etc., and it will guide you like navigation.

While talking about the HERE you can also find some very useful stuff in the store like HERE Lens, HERE Transit etc. which again workes perfectly. And of course there is enough space, they're both that large.

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Received my 640 so far very impressive! Just wondering why there is no swype keyboard! I enabled cortana by selecting region UK and country as India. Cortana works well. But badly need swype keyboard! Any help?

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Received my 640 so far very impressive! Just wondering why there is no swype keyboard! I enabled cortana by selecting region UK and country as India. Cortana works well. But badly need swype keyboard! Any help?

The 640 has "swipe" kb, its called Wordflow. It should be working. Search your settings or help for wordflow

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
All of my settings are set on US region and language even though I'm not even near that continent, and yes, I have all the features including the WordFlow.

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Its been 5 days on Lumia 640 and its impressing me with new features that I am discovering. I installed extra Language pack and swype started working.

Here are few more questions to the experts.
1. To login to the outlook.com, i have enabled 2 step verification. On android I had microsoft app that used to show the notification on mobile however I dont see such app on Windows store! Am I missing something? I always have to ask to send SMS to my phone!
2. Why WindowsCentral app on android is free while on Windows Phone its paid? Also the site doesnt open well in IE on Windows phone, any solution?

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
1. To login to the outlook.com, i have enabled 2 step verification. On android I had microsoft app that used to show the notification on mobile however I dont see such app on Windows store! Am I missing something?

It's called Authenticator (Microsoft Corporation). Google "microsoft authenticator".

WalrusTangerine

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
You can get Windows Central for free by hitting the "try" button in the store listing. You'll get the app, but with ads. It doesn't bother me much and there aren't any missing features in the free version.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Ko
Its been 5 days on Lumia 640 and its impressing me with new features that I am discovering. I installed extra Language pack and swype started working.

Here are few more questions to the experts.
1. To login to the outlook.com, i have enabled 2 step verification. On android I had microsoft app that used to show the notification on mobile however I dont see such app on Windows store! Am I missing something? I always have to ask to send SMS to my phone!
2. Why WindowsCentral app on android is free while on Windows Phone its paid? Also the site doesnt open well in IE on Windows phone, any solution?

How did you get that extra language package? I need one ion order to use the WordFlow in my native language, I've become so addictive to this feature.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You can get Windows Central for free by hitting the "try" button in the store listing. You'll get the app, but with ads. It doesn't bother me much and there aren't any missing features in the free version.
Agreed, but there was one thing that annoyed me about the free version. I would read a thread on the app, but then when I'm on Windows Central on a computer, I have to read it again, since it wasn't marked as read and shows the same number of unread replies.
I thought it was a glitch until I realized that was the difference between the versions, aside from the ads. Since buying it, that hasn't been an issue at all.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Already done that but I guess my language is not supported in WordFlow. That's a shame, I hope they bring it to more languages.

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Finally discovered the 2 Step verification APP option on Security page. I don't know why I missed that so many times! Also installed WindowsCentral App in TRY mode. Looks like I am pretty well set on Windows Phone now. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb