With This Phone, I Convert Thee

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll say this, for those in my circle are more intrigued with my 1520 running WinXM than 8.1. One of the engineers at work that owns a Iphone 6+ just picked up a 930 AND he's installed WinXM on it. He's still getting acquainted with the phone.
What's striking to me is, when we were talking about WinXM, NOT ONCE did he get lost with "why ellipses here and hamburger there" type conversation. I expected he would go there but it never happened. He simply likes it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Once you own an app, you own it. If you get a new phone, it will restore to the new phone if you set it up from a backup. If you don't, but you log in under your MS ID, the store will show that you own the app, so you can install it.

I have apps that I own that I haven't reinstalled when I've changed phones, because I found that I didn't use them. It still shows that I own them.

This 640, for ATT at least, is only $80. No way you're getting a store credit for half that. This phone could cost twice that, and still be a good buy.
Ah, didn't realize that..good to know..I thought if you bought it on the Google play store, if you changed to Windows phone, you'd have to repurchase it.. Didn't necessarily mean for this model of phone at this price point...lol

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Galway, I think Gordon misunderstood you. You are saying android to windows I. Regards to apps. You can't transfer them or use them on your phone and would need to repurchase them. That's like buying a ps4 game. It can't work with Xbox one and vice versa

What Galway is saying is that your apps would be there if you changed from windows phone to windows phone. Just wanted to clarify so nobody read and thought differently then bashed windows :D

Which is why they said Microsoft should offer a gift card to offset having to rebuy

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 640. It is a good phone for the price. I like it. I do miss my high end Lumia. But camera and speed aside compared to my 1520, I am not missing much

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Galway, I think Gordon misunderstood you. You are saying android to windows I. Regards to apps. You can't transfer them or use them on your phone and would need to repurchase them. That's like buying a ps4 game. It can't work with Xbox one and vice versa

What Galway is saying is that your apps would be there if you changed from windows phone to windows phone. Just wanted to clarify so nobody read and thought differently then bashed windows :D

Ya, I should probably have been more specific with my comment..lol

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ya, I should probably have been more specific with my comment..lol

Microsoft did have a promo for a time where you got a gift card to the store. This was during the Lumia 1020 era of 2013.

Perks of buying a Lumia. They always have promos for them. Like the office 365 promo.

realitydroid

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I recently got my girlfriend to convert from Android to WP with a Lumia 635. She needed a new phone, and also needed to get onto a different prepaid service. The 635 was selling for $25 at WalMart and she picked up the last one they had at our store. She loves it.

I since upgrades to the 640, and I love it! Great upgrade from the 635. And now that she's seen mine, she wants one too. Lol.

But, she came from Android. So it was surprisingly easy. Lol

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I did miss it, so you are correct that may lose apps from Android to WP.

BTW - I checked into this mega resort in Orlando last night. The guard asked me which building I was in, and I told him I had no clue. He said if I showed him the email, he could tell me.

So, he grabs the 830, and says "which model is this?". I told him, and he told me he just bought a brand new unlocked 635 for about $60, and he loved it. He was probably around 22-25. He said he really liked my phone, at which point I told him he needed to get over to the MS store and pick up a 640 for $80 brand new, as it was the same internals, but a back similar to his 635.

I still can't believe you can buy that phone for that.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I did miss it, so you are correct that may lose apps from Android to WP.

BTW - I checked into this mega resort in Orlando last night. The guard asked me which building I was in, and I told him I had no clue. He said if I showed him the email, he could tell me.

So, he grabs the 830, and says "which model is this?". I told him, and he told me he just bought a brand new unlocked 635 for about $60, and he loved it. He was probably around 22-25. He said he really liked my phone, at which point I told him he needed to get over to the MS store and pick up a 640 for $80 brand new, as it was the same internals, but a back similar to his 635.

I still can't believe you can buy that phone for that.
And to think nearly the same specs an iPhone 6.

Devon Day

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
And to think nearly the same specs an iPhone 6.

But we all know that iPhone users don't buy them for the specs, usually. They get them for the brand, the looks, and the locked-in ecosystem. Not to say that iPhones are bad, just saying that most people buy them because they are in fashion.

alexisking

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Guys, just picked up a 640 as my travel phone vs my 830 daily. Gotta be honest, no dedicated camera key and picture quality are a big issue. Trust me you will see it in the quality of pics. Either way both are great kit for the price you pay.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Guys, just picked up a 640 as my travel phone vs my 830 daily. Gotta be honest, no dedicated camera key and picture quality are a big issue. Trust me you will see it in the quality of pics. Either way both are great kit for the price you pay.

A Lumia 640 at $80 has exceptional camera quality for its price range....the 830 has a dedicated button as well as it is a pureview camera thus it will be better without a doubt :)

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
But we all know that iPhone users don't buy them for the specs, usually. They get them for the brand, the looks, and the locked-in ecosystem. Not to say that iPhones are bad, just saying that most people buy them because they are in fashion.
I will say that I have to agree. I played with an iphone that a friend let me borrow for a few days (he upgraded). I wanted to give myself the opportunity to try out the ecosystem and found myself not impressed after a few days. Nice looking and apps galore, but still no convert.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The problem is people who are into Iphones, just think apps, apps and more apps, they see adverts with games/apps with available on Itunes or Play, nothing is ever advertised for Windows Phone, conversation ends there.

Talking to an Androidian:
People who are into Android, see specs, specs and more specs, 2.5Ghz Quad core 64bit, 3GB ram, Quad HD screen....errr 1GB ram and old tech processor, must be crap, plus it doesn't have apps and microsoft phone I read is going to die by the end of the year.

"but look at how slick and smooth the whole phone is"....."yer but its only got 1GB ram and really cheap"...."yes that called amazing value for money and well created UI"...."couldn't go back to 1GB ram even the flagship only has 2GB and an old 800 snapdragon"...."yes but it doesn't matter, even the Iphone 6 only has 1GB ram, WP is smoother than that"...."yer but I hate Iphones".....impossible conversation

Talking to an Iphonian:
but look at how slick and smooth the whole phone is"...."hmm its not made by Apple"...."No its made by Microsoft"..."but its not an Iphone"...conversation pretty much ends there.

We have a battle on our hands.
Lol. Unfortunately true. Can't say I find iphone that impressive. Looks good...and it stops there for me. I was an android ****** and I will say that specs is a big thing. Just shows that linux on smartphones is a totally different beast compared to the desktop. I tried WP when I got a 520 both out of curiosity and needed a backup. I was thoroughly impressed on how smooth it ran on low specs and the WP UI. Changed my whole view. Today I am still primarily an android user but only for two reasons: waiting on a new WP flagship with Windows 10, and an app on android that automates everything (Tasker) which makes daily routines more efficient to go to Windows. I'm willing to sacrifice the app though given WP capability for battery efficiency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So I was playing poker on Saturday and one my friends who I got to pick up the L920 told me his wife is looking to get the Nokia phone. The L920 or better to exact. The problem was, she couldn't find a deal on eBay and the prices are holding fairly steady above what she's looking for. Looking at the prices right now, it doesn't seem too bad - around $120+. I suggested she just pick up the L640. She's coming from Android. I guess maybe that's the lesson - get one person to convert and the spouse will eventually follow - lol. He does rave about the camera a lot and he does like the UI. I guess it rubbed off.

I often wonder how much of the Windows Phone problem is simply that Microsoft still having a "bad guy" perception problem as a legacy of its past compared to say Google. The reason I say this, is that when I had my Lumia 521 I really thought the app store had reached a turning point in that finally it looked we were getting the big names, then all of a sudden it seemed a lot of apps were effectively being abandoned or outright being pulled. I am sure Google refusing to play ball no doubt added to this too.

I know that back in the days of Windows Mobile, there seemed to be developers who were not keen to develop apps simply because it was Microsoft. I don't seem to hear of developers shunning other platforms in the same way, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Microsoft = Bad Guy. Google = Good Guy. Apple = Sexy status symbol. That's how it is. Most of them won't be able to really articulate why they don't like Microsoft. Some cite MS's bullying history from like 20+ years ago. Others didn't like how the Mac got gimped versions of Office back in the day. A large number of them hate on MS because everyone else hates them and it's cool to hate on MS. Herd mentality, that last one. A few cite very specific issues they had and that's enough - never mind any large company that makes any complex software will inevitably have some issues and never mind that sometimes its not MS's fault that something doesn't run correctly on their computer with all those junk/malware they installed over the web or the Java update installer. Anyways, it's just that Google hasn't been around long enough for people to see how they can become the MS that people hated years ago - they're just the good guys right now giving free fiber to some cities and free crappy Chromebooks to schools.

The problem is people who are into Iphones, just think apps, apps and more apps, they see adverts with games/apps with available on Itunes or Play, nothing is ever advertised for Windows Phone, conversation ends there.

Talking to an Androidian:
People who are into Android, see specs, specs and more specs, 2.5Ghz Quad core 64bit, 3GB ram, Quad HD screen....errr 1GB ram and old tech processor, must be crap, plus it doesn't have apps and microsoft phone I read is going to die by the end of the year.

"but look at how slick and smooth the whole phone is"....."yer but its only got 1GB ram and really cheap"...."yes that called amazing value for money and well created UI"...."couldn't go back to 1GB ram even the flagship only has 2GB and an old 800 snapdragon"...."yes but it doesn't matter, even the Iphone 6 only has 1GB ram, WP is smoother than that"...."yer but I hate Iphones".....impossible conversation

Talking to an Iphonian:
but look at how slick and smooth the whole phone is"...."hmm its not made by Apple"...."No its made by Microsoft"..."but its not an Iphone"...conversation pretty much ends there.

We have a battle on our hands.

That pretty much sums it up. The same happens with consoles. Most people just think Playstation in the same way that people say they're going to Xerox something. What can you do...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro