4 steps just to respond to text messages?

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Am I doing something wrong? When I get a text, in order to respond it takes four steps just to start texting..

1. double tap or hit power button

2. slide up lock screen

3. tap the text window from the homepage

4. tap the name of the person who sent me the text in order to open the texting app

I'm new to Windows. There must be a shorter route to reading and responding to texts. Please advise.

Thanks

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
it takes me one tap to arrive in the persons message thread that has just texted me.

when the banner wakes my phone, i simply tap once on that, that takes me into the messaging app, into the persons thread, i just type and send.

but all that assumes, you were there in that 5 second window to see the banner! :)

failing that, its a double tap, slide down notification center, tap message. so at worst 3 separate operations i guess

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you didn't see the toast notification you can

1. Double tap screen or hit power button

2. Pull down the notifications menu

3. Tap the text message in question to respond/read

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Assuming you didn't see the toast notification you can

1. Double tap screen or hit power button

2. Pull down the notifications menu

3. Tap the text message in question to respond/read

When I slide up the lock screen it takes me to the homepage where I have to tap the text message icon/window before it takes me to a list of text message.. then I have to tap the person or message that was sent in order to get into the text area. There is no text message that appears on my home screen, only the main text icon/window.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
When I slide up the lock screen it takes me to the homepage where I have to tap the text message icon/window before it takes me to a list of text message.. then I have to tap the person or message that was sent in order to get into the text area. There is no text message that appears on my home screen, only the main text icon/window.

Don't slide up, pull down. Exact opposite motion. Edit: From the top of the screen, specifically

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Don't slide up, pull down. Exact opposite motion. Edit: From the top of the screen, specifically

Ok, I must be losing it. I just did it.

Still four steps..

1. double tap to wake after getting text notification (and not getting to it in time)

2. pull down notification

3. tap text notice (takes me to the list of people who have texted me)

4. tap the message (which opens the text app so I can respond)

With my LG/Kii Kit, after getting a notification pop up (which stayed displayed) one tap (or one swipe from the lock screen) took me directly to the opened text app so I could reply. I can't believe it takes 4 steps to reply. Thanks for responding. I really want to like windows and love the layout and look, but not sure it's for me. Not giving up just yet though.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
As Jeffrey mentioned above, you can tap on the actual message - not the "Messaging" header - in the action center and you will be taken directly to the conversation, thus removing a step for you. So, two taps to wake, a swipe down for action center, and one more tap to get into the conversation. I wouldn't consider that too much.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you need to actually touch the message and not the name of the app. This goes for all notifications. For example if you've received several emails through Outlook you'll see "Outlook" displayed as a header, for lack of a better term, and then each email subject below that. Tapping the email subject would take you directly to the email whereas tapping"Outlook" will open the app.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think what the guy is getting at is, with Lollipop android, you get the message on the lock screen, simply double tap the message from the lock screen and there you go, your ready to respond. where as with WP, its swipe to unlocked as there is no direct link from the lock screen, then swipe down to find notifications, at this point you select the actual persons message link not the heading, then you go direct to the individual text, only really one extra move, quite funny really, I remember having to use a keypad with 2abc 3def 4ghi and so on to text...used to take about 20 mins to send a single text :)

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have W10MTP on my 810. Reply from the toast notification by pulling it down when it first appears, from the notification center by pulling it down and pressing the arrow next to the message, from the app like normal, or from my Microsoft band.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Am I doing something wrong? When I get a text, in order to respond it takes four steps just to start texting..

1. double tap or hit power button

2. slide up lock screen

3. tap the text window from the homepage

4. tap the name of the person who sent me the text in order to open the texting app

I'm new to Windows. There must be a shorter route to reading and responding to texts. Please advise.

Thanks

Slide down from the lock screen, it will display your notifications. Tap the text. Respond.

If you have Windows 10:
Slide down from toast notification, respond.

Or...

Slide down from the lock screen, it will display your notifications. Expand. Respond.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So is W10 available officially yet? My AT&T (GoPhone) 640 says the phone is up to date and my AT&T 640 XL says "we are currently unable to update..".

Not for a couple/few months.

People have been playing with the unfinished Preview however in the meantime.

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
You can choose what appears on your lock screen in the settings section. The notification section can be accessed directly from the lock screen by pulling down from the top. Hope that helps...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234