Just upgraded my wife to 640 -- problem

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Just upgraded my wife's phone to 640. Have a problem in that every time I reboot the phone it boots up normally and when start screen shows, works for 5-10 seconds then everything freezes, eventually reboots, repeat.. Only way out is to hard reset and restore her back up. Once I do that it works great... until it is rebooted. Any suggestions or should I just return and get a new one. Seems 640 is online only for T-Mobile at least in my area which is a pain.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Just upgraded my wife's phone to 640. Have a problem in that every time I reboot the phone it boots up normally and when start screen shows, works for 5-10 seconds then everything freezes, eventually reboots, repeat.. Only way out is to hard reset and restore her back up. Once I do that it works great... until it is rebooted. Any suggestions or should I just return and get a new one. Seems 640 is online only for T-Mobile at least in my area which is a pain.

Is the 640 on WP8.1 or did you set up W10M? If it's 8.1, you've probably gotten a bad device. Also, did you do a Restore from a previous WP at initial setup? There have been similar issues with that and the Insider Preview.

Myclevername

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I bought an ATT one at the Microsoft Store and by using the ATT website tool I had it unlocked within 24 hour. Works great on T-Mobile now. But I'm in South Florida and there is LTE everywhere.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried looking for the T-Mobile version of the 640 at Walmart? They do carry it.
I just wanted to second rhapdog's comment to say that I bought my T-mobile version from Walmart, along with various others on the forum here.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Is the 640 on WP8.1 or did you set up W10M? If it's 8.1, you've probably gotten a bad device. Also, did you do a Restore from a previous WP at initial setup? There have been similar issues with that and the Insider Preview.

It is still on 8.1 and yes did a restore from lumia 635.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
It is still on 8.1 and yes did a restore from lumia 635.

I ask because I had similar issues on my L630, but I was grabbing slow ring for W10M. I then reset and did a fresh new install when I bumped up to fast ring.

Have you tried the Windows Phone Recovery Tool? It's somewhat possible that the factory image is somehow corrupted. The tool will download the ROM and flash it to her 640. After flashing it will be like new, but then one last reset to load her backup.

That's about all I can think of to save you from a trip to Wally World. Damn I hate that place!!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The case you are describing does not seem normal for sure....

use the recovery tool from Microsoft.

if it does not work, just return the phone, obviously something is not right.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went ahead and had them mail me a new one. Tried recovery tool as well. MMS wasn't working as well so something screwy was going on somewhere.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Got a replacement 640 prepaid from Walmart. It locks up as well when I restore using backup.... could it be an app? wth could it be. Using brand new sim and SD card

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Got a replacement 640 prepaid from Walmart. It locks up as well when I restore using backup.... could it be an app? wth could it be. Using brand new sim and SD card

I've never been able to restore a backup from between models of phones. When I tried to restore the backup of my 925 to my HTC One M8, it repeatedly failed. Had to reset the One M8, though, did a backup and that restored just fine to the M8. When I got the 640, tried to restore a backup from the M8 and it failed. After resetting the 640 from a W10M preview, the backup of the 640 restored fine. Same model, restores fine. Different model, doesn't restore. Maybe others have been luckier than I have...

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Try a hard reset, but set it up as a new phone (don't restore it). Then, you can re-download apps one at a time until you either find your culprit or resolve the issue.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Try a hard reset, but set it up as a new phone (don't restore it). Then, you can re-download apps one at a time until you either find your culprit or resolve the issue.
I give up, both phones lock up on reboot setting up as new phone. Only thing I did was log into my wife's account.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess only solution for now is to never turn off :(

I still have issue of MMS. I added the values from link above and still says can not send as soon as try and if I send a pic to her it says image attached and when click on it, says opps, image gone. Any other ideas?

Damn it, I wish Daniel still lived here...I'd pay a visit. hehe

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Are you using it as a go-phone, or is it active on a regular att account? If the latter, call them to give them the imei, because mms and data sometimes won't work if they don't have the correct imei on your account.

If the former, I'm out of ideas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)