Just upgraded my wife to 640 -- problem

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is f&*(ing ridiculous. Just got third phone and same damn thing. I tried new sim, didn't sign in to any account and still.... what gives?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is f&*(ing ridiculous. Just got third phone and same damn thing. I tried new sim, didn't sign in to any account and still.... what gives?

Maybe sd card... I have always restored from backup, across all my windows phones. With rh SD card, things get slow on start up and all... What speed card are you using? Is it the same care from the previous phone? Did you format the card? You can format it from the phone.

I have had a 900, 920, 1520, 635, and now using a 640. The last 3 all allows foe SD card use, and while great there are issues... The phone sometimes needs to scan the card and fox errors or just load up all your apps on start up...

On the 635 with windows 10, I finally got it to go into reboot limbo, but I was doing things waaaaay out of order almost to break it. The recovery tool fixed that right up on 8.1.

I would love to help where I can...

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Flash the T-Mobile rom onto the phone since its an AT&T phone running AT&T software and you using it with T-Mobile sim. You can be sure you didn't get 3 defective phones. You will gain wifi calling (have the option), and your 640 will work. All other Tmobile bloatware you can uninstall. You will have a Tmobile splash screen when you boot up instead of AT&T.

OR, flash it to RM-1073 VAR LTA 7R CV (unbranded) . product code: 059X153

Last edited:

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry... it was a prepaid T-Mobile not at&t go. All 3 have been T-Mobile. One that came today is straight from T-Mobile website. Can't reboot and can't send mms. I used repair tool, etc. All MS says is send to us. My wife will not go 10 days with out a phone. Probably have to get damn android. All out of options. I even tried new sim, not logging in to any account so no ideas wtf to do.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
When I first got my 635 (Yes i know were talking about the 640) I put in my existing tmobile sim card from my existing phone and my 635 wouldn't boot up; it would freeze on boot logo. So I simply did a key press hard reboot (press power and volume down button - once vibrates let go of power button but keep holding volume down button til a exclamation point ( ! I think) shows. then press volume up, volume down, power then finally volume down again). This will hard reset, do it with the sim card in the phone. Also, is the sim activated?

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my 635 (Yes i know were talking about the 640) I put in my existing tmobile sim card from my existing phone and my 635 wouldn't boot up; it would freeze on boot logo. So I simply did a key press hard reboot (press power and volume down button - once vibrates let go of power button but keep holding volume down button til a exclamation point ( ! I think) shows. then press volume up, volume down, power then finally volume down again). This will hard reset, do it with the sim card in the phone. Also, is the sim activated?

Thanks I have done this at least 20 times... twice so far on new phone. When screen locks that is only option. Once screen locks, it starts a reboot loop

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
You should play the lottery tonight, what are the chances of getting 3 defective phones in a row? Joking aside, It could possibly be the charging block or usb cord youre using. I have a car lighter usb charger in my truck that makes every phone that's plugged into it go a little weird (touch is all messed up, vibrates randomly), but hey it still charges the phone so I use it anyway. Are you using a different cord or charging block than supplied? How about have you hard reset without sim and sd card in slots? The probability of 3 defective phones seems highly unlikely, has to be a simple explanation. I would make sure youre using supplied usb cable and or charging block, and if so remove both sim card and sd card then hard reset. You could try w10 if you wanted, but its laggy on my 640.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well don't know what happened. I had called T-Mobile Monday and had them put in an engineer ticket. This morning still could not get mms to work so I said screw it, I am trying to reboot one last time. This time came up, did not freeze, worked great and mms works :) After 3 phones, 30+ hard resets, we have a normal phone... lol, one day after T-Mobile stops selling. I have no idea if was engineer ticket, etch, but at this point just glad works. Thanks for all those that gave input.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok, turned WiFi on, forgot I had turned off. It seems that is the issue. As soon as turned on, screen froze, phone rebooted and froze. On next re-boot I had about 2 seconds on start screen so swiped down and quickly turned off WiFi. Now works. How could WiFi cause this??? He'll I just leave off since she uses minimal data, but could that have been issue?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, turned WiFi on, forgot I had turned off. It seems that is the issue. As soon as turned on, screen froze, phone rebooted and froze. On next re-boot I had about 2 seconds on start screen so swiped down and quickly turned off WiFi. Now works. How could WiFi cause this??? He'll I just leave off since she uses minimal data, but could that have been issue?

Interesting... Any updates available?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Is wifi connecting or just on... Well, tmobile has wifi calling... Maybe the wifi calling service is is buggy. Can you just turn that feature off ans leave wifi on?

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Is wifi connecting or just on... Well, tmobile has wifi calling... Maybe the wifi calling service is is buggy. Can you just turn that feature off ans leave wifi on?
I had already turned WiFi calling off. WiFi was connecting when froze and rebooted. She had used phone this last week with WiFi on... it would just freeze on reboot... maybe when WiFi was connecting?? Just a guess.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
OR, flash it to RM-1073 VAR LTA 7R CV (unbranded) . product code: 059X153

That sounds interesting for my needs. Thanks for that idea. (I just want to get away from carrier branding so I don't have to wait on the carrier for the final RTM of Windows 10 for mobile.)

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Found out issue is not turning wifi on. Unplugged routers and turned wifi on....no problems. Plugged router in and soon as connected phone freezes and starts rebooting. I searched "Bing" and found someone that had exact same problem and was using a similar netgear router. He updated to windows 10 and was able to use wifi so I was going to try that. However problem is I can't download update over cellular data. It comes up with error that can't connect to wifi and if can't connect to wifi it will try over cellular. I can not get download started...same error pops up no matter howmany times I click download and can't turn wifi on to download.

Any suggestions?

thekingofspain

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same 640 tissue that you are seeing. AT&T 640 RM-1073 from BestBuy. Odd thing is that wifi works initially, then something initializes and wifi locks the phone and reboots forever and ever. One my third reflash, I turned off all updates and was able to download about 10 apps without issue, each downloaded one at a time via wifi. However today before trying to update any more apps, its appears the phone initialized something and the wifi locking issues has reappeared. Going to try the generic ROM and see if the problem persists.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos