How do I unlock an AT&T Lumia 640 Windows phone?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how do I unlock an AT&T lumia 640 windows phone?

need to unlock a lumia 640 so that I can use net10 service

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do I unlock an AT&T Lumia 640 Windows phone?

try a different browser. i got a similar error (maybe the same, its been to long and i dont remember) when trying to use firefox to submit unlock request

Thanks for the advice, actually that is what my instincts told me.
I have tried IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome but I am getting the same the same error.

Favor, could someone in America get to this page and try to get past it? If you're successful then that means it could be my location.

TIA

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Greedo, I live in Pakistan. And trust me, EBay, PayPal, Amazon, Spotify, Pandora, Hulu, you name it, it dont work here. And I use Opera. One of the most niche big browsers out there. I got my lock code off of AT&T without any problems. So location shouldnt be an issue. Sometimes what happens is that you dont get the lock codes on your first time around. My sister and my brother-in-law got theirs their first try. I didnt get the lock code in my mail the first time around. So I tried/applied again. Got it the next day. So dont worry. Be happy. Apply again. ^_^

-- W

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the advice, actually that is what my instincts told me.
I have tried IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome but I am getting the same the same error.

Favor, could someone in America get to this page and try to get past it? If you're successful then that means it could be my location.

TIA

It's working for me in the US on Opera and other browsers.

May be a fault in DNS from your IP?

Have you tried a Proxy?

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

I've unlocked 4 AT&T GoPhones (2 for me 2 for a friend) 4 different times and it's always gone smoothly. I'm actually doing one right now at the moment.
I use the Firefox browser and have not had any issue with requesting the code.

The way I do it is as soon as I get one home before I even remove the phone from the packaging I go to the AT&T unlock page:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=udGl1DCU

Check the "I have read..." thing on the bottom and hit continue.
Then on the next page select NO to "are you an AT&T wireless customer" and then enter the captcha characters.

On the next page enter the IMEI number right off the unopened packaging of the GoPhone. Enter name and email and submit.

Go to your email immediately and respond to the email they send to you by clicking the link inside. You'll get the code in 2-3 days.

Meanwhile, after responding to the email, I open the packaging and remove the phone.

At this point DO NOT turn the phone on or put the battery in (yet).

First, I remove the cover from the back of the phone and remove the AT&T sim card that is in it. I just toss it. Then I put the battery in and replace the cover. Then I turn the phone on and I get to work on setting the phone up adding my Microsoft email and downloading/updating apps etc using WiFi, arranging the start page, tweaking settings etc while I wait for the code.

By the time the code arrives, my phone is totally set up.

When you get the code, you can either put your non AT&T sim in (in my case T-Mobile) and this will bring up the unlock code screen and then you can enter the code.

Or you can enter ##7820# on the dial pad from the Phone tile and this will bring the unlock code screen up. They give you 10 tries to get it right.

It has always worked for me the first try.

As I said, I use the phones with T-mobile pay as you go $3 a month plan.
All phones work great. I actually disable the LTE completely (via ##3282#) since 4G seems to work very well and battery life seems better.

IMO, the 640 is a MUCH better phone than the 635. It is also better than the androids in the $150 or less range that I tried.

Last edited:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I have tried to request for an unlock code for the umpteenth time and unfortunately I am getting the same error.
Attempted to do this already in my work place computer and computer shop but still presented with the error.

No way I can exchange this item now since I'm all the way at the opposite end of the world. Good thing it's only $30 bucks

@tomseys would you like to try it for me? I'm willing to give you my imei and email.

dflynn5

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Tomseys.

Any idea what the Windows 10 version of ##7820# is? I've used this a number of times successfully with a 640 on Windows 8.1 but Windows 10 will not bring up the unlock code screen.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Tomseys.

Any idea what the Windows 10 version of ##7820# is? I've used this a number of times successfully with a 640 on Windows 8.1 but Windows 10 will not bring up the unlock code screen.

It's continuing to work on my GoPhone 640 on Insider Release Ring 10586.318

hnikesch

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys, just a quick note I was having problems unlocking my 640 go phone. When I got the code I inserted a non ATT sim and the unlock window came up but the window was to small to enter all 20 numbers the complete nlock code. I contacted ATT and they couldn't help but verified I had the correct code. I tried the ##7820# code listed above and wouldn't you know it a different unlock screen came up and I was able to enter the 20 digit code and all is good now. For those who may have had this issue

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Anybody know what to do when AT&T will not unlock your phone 3 days after the request?

Bypass them. Get an unlock code from ebay. If you don't see a listing for your phone, ask a seller to post a listing for your phone, I did that it cost me like $2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos