How do I unlock an AT&T Lumia 640 Windows phone?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how do I unlock an AT&T lumia 640 windows phone?

need to unlock a lumia 640 so that I can use net10 service

PHughes

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: How do I unlock an AT&T Lumia 640 Windows phone?

Dumb question, but I would like to try one, and I want it unlocked, but I want to use my AT&T SIM, switching between my Z10 and the Lumia. I have done this with other phones. I would also use it with SIMs out of the country and possibly T-Mobile. I am not currently on a contract. Would I be abel to unlock it without getting a different SIM, or can I use my current AT&T SIM? I have unlocked different phones, but always used my current SIM.

Thanks.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site

Dumb question, but I would like to try one, and I want it unlocked, but I want to use my AT&T SIM, switching between my Z10 and the Lumia. I have done this with other phones. I would also use it with SIMs out of the country and possibly T-Mobile. I am not currently on a contract. Would I be abel to unlock it without getting a different SIM, or can I use my current AT&T SIM? I have unlocked different phones, but always used my current SIM.

Thanks.

once its unlocked it is still perfectly functional as a ATT phone. unlocking it just gives you the option to use sim cards from other carriers

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Thanks.

You need a non-ATT SIM for first power-on, as it is required for successful unlock. After this, you are good to use whichever card you want.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site

You need a non-ATT SIM for first power-on, as it is required for successful unlock. After this, you are good to use whichever card you want.
that is kinda misleading. the only reason you would put in a non-att sim was so it would pop up and say the phone is locked to att, and give you the option to enter an unlock code

but you can also do the same thing by entering ##7820# in your dial pad and then you can enter the unlock code.

PHughes

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

once its unlocked it is still perfectly functional as a ATT phone. unlocking it just gives you the option to use sim cards from other carriers

Yes, I am aware I can still use it with AT&T after it is unlocked. I have other unlocked phones. I am just wondering if I need the non-AT&T sim to unlock it, or if I use my AT&T sim, it will lock it for AT&T.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I am aware I can still use it with AT&T after it is unlocked. I have other unlocked phones. I am just wondering if I need the non-AT&T sim to unlock it, or if I use my AT&T sim, it will lock it for AT&T.
no you don't need a non-ATT sim to unlock it. once you receive the unlock code from ATT you need to enter it into your phone.

two methods to enter the code (just pick one of the two methods):
1. put in non-ATT sim and it will ask you for unlock code
2. enter ##7820# in your dial pad and it will ask you for unlock code

both of the above options take you to the same screen/menu

Khishore Sundar

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site

If I buy Lumia 640 AT&T (no contract) from BestBuy/ Microsoft Store, can I unlock it immediately after purchase?. I want to make sure of it bcoz after buying, if cannot be unlocked then it would be total waste( I will be using it in India).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

If I buy Lumia 640 AT&T (no contract) from BestBuy/ Microsoft Store, can I unlock it immediately after purchase?. I want to make sure of it bcoz after buying, if cannot be unlocked then it would be total waste( I will be using it in India).

Yep, all you need is an email address, a name, and the device imei number. Don't turn it on until you unlock it. You just have to wait.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Can still take a few days to get the code. If in doubt, do not open the package (IMEI is printed on the package, so you don't need to unpack) - if you're rejected the unlock code while in US, you can simply return it.

sudipt123

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site

Hi Kishore, were you able to unlock it in India? i'm thinking to get one from the US too- let me know if LTE works here.
Thanks

vinayuchil

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site

Hey, I did try that! However I never received the unlock code. For me I got the email as ' Your request was approved.. Please use the below unlock code and instructions to unlock the device. But the unlock code was empty/blank. Please advice what am I missing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey, I did try that! However I never received the unlock code. For me I got the email as ' Your request was approved.. Please use the below unlock code and instructions to unlock the device. But the unlock code was empty/blank. Please advice what am I missing.

I'd try and call ATT customer support with the IMEI and Unlock Request #s on hand for reference. The number should be in the email.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

I just encountered the same issue; to resolve this and get the code register on the AT&T community forums and private message @attmobiltycare . Give your IMEI # and request # and they will back to you in a day or 2 with the unlock code. Some say it is a bug in their system but I think it's more likely their adding another step to the process since probably most wont do it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I would think a glitch much more likely. It doesn't profit them to keep these phones locked as most users doing it currently are non-ATT mobility.

It actually costs them $ in man hours.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Hi I just received my AT&T Go Phone Lumia 640 in the mail some days ago.
I went ahead to the AT&T Device Unlock portal and proceeded to fill out all the required fields, upon clicking next I am getting this error.

att.jpg

Is there an issue now with AT&T network? If it is it has been going on for about 4 days now.
Or does anyone think it could be a problem with my location?(Philippines) and AT&T is not letting my IP Address proceed?

TIA

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site

try a different browser. i got a similar error (maybe the same, its been to long and i dont remember) when trying to use firefox to submit unlock request

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte