How do I unlock an AT&T Lumia 640 Windows phone?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how do I unlock an AT&T lumia 640 windows phone?

need to unlock a lumia 640 so that I can use net10 service

lift

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: How do I unlock an AT&T Lumia 640 Windows phone?

If you buy the AT&T Lumia 640 brand new, remove the SIM that came with the phone and don't even turn the phone on until you request an unlock code from AT&T. Google "unlock AT&T phone" and you will find AT&T's device unlocking request website. As long as you are not an AT&T customer right now, select the box that says non AT&T customer. Enter the IMEI (on the phone package) your name and email address. They will send you the unlock code in about 24 hours during regular week days. Once you get the code, Insert a non AT&T SIM and turn on the phone. The setup will begin and then the phone will ask for the unlock code. It is 20 digits. Enter the code then hit enter. Once it says code accepted, turn the phone off and then back on. You are now unlocked.
I can confirm for sure that this works because AT&T has sent me the unlock code for my phone. Easy as pie and free.

brooose

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

If you want to use it on Net10, just purchase an AT&T based Net10 SIM. There is no need to unlock the phone, it will just work. Net10 comes in 2 flavors: AT&T and T-mobile (blue and pink sims). Get the blue ones and you will be good to go. No need to unlock

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

If you buy the AT&T Lumia 640 brand new, remove the SIM that came with the phone and don't even turn the phone on until you request an unlock code from AT&T. Google "unlock AT&T phone" and you will find AT&T's device unlocking request website. As long as you are not an AT&T customer right now, select the box that says non AT&T customer. Enter the IMEI (on the phone package) your name and email address. They will send you the unlock code in about 24 hours during regular week days. Once you get the code, Insert a non AT&T SIM and turn on the phone. The setup will begin and then the phone will ask for the unlock code. It is 20 digits. Enter the code then hit enter. Once it says code accepted, turn the phone off and then back on. You are now unlocked.
I can confirm for sure that this works because AT&T has sent me the unlock code for my phone. Easy as pie and free.

So I followedd the directions to a T. They sent me an email congratulating me on the approval. They sent instructions on how to unlock but never sent me the code!!!!! I resubmitted hoping this time they remember to send me the code, if not Ill have no choice but to return it.

Maybe I need to be patient for the code? When did ATT send you your code, before or after the email with instructions?

lift

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

So I followedd the directions to a T. They sent me an email congratulating me on the approval. They sent instructions on how to unlock but never sent me the code!!!!! I resubmitted hoping this time they remember to send me the code, if not Ill have no choice but to return it.

Maybe I need to be patient for the code? When did ATT send you your code, before or after the email with instructions?
The code comes with the congratulations and instructions email. It is a 20 digit string of numbers. Carefully check the email again. I don't think you can resubmit for another code as there is only one code for a given IMEI. A duplicate request may be rejected. There is a also a request number that was emailed to you. Contact customer support and tell them you did not receive the code and give them the request number.

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I checked the email several times. calling was the first thing I did, the rep told me she couldn't do anything because all unlocks are serviced through the online unlock portal only, she said I should resubmit it, so I did. Only reason I did this was because I get a discount at my work or I'd have just bought the global version on amazon. I do have an online rep helping me and she seems to be willing to help and replies pretty quickly. Guess Ill just have to wait a bit and see if she comes through.
My unlock request did take long, I received an email saying that they are researching my request and would take longer than usual, but that was a few days ago before I received the confirmation. But maybe that's why I'm having issues or theyre biding time.

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

After resubmitting I received the unlock code with the email. all is good now, using it on Tmobile, dont care about loss of Band 12 or wifi calling. Love it so far, better than my 635.

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

Hi, i?m planning on buying one at bestbuy, do you know if this unlocking process you wrote works with phones you?ve recently bought? or do I have to wait the sixth months of service to request the code *sorry for my english*

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hi, i?m planning on buying one at bestbuy, do you know if this unlocking process you wrote works with phones you?ve recently bought? or do I have to wait the sixth months of service to request the code *sorry for my english*
It should work as long as you don't turn the phone on before requesting an unlock. I think I requested an unlock just after I received it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

The instructions posted above still works and would work with the phone bought from BestBuy. Make sure you remove the AT&T SIM card from the 640 before turning it ON for the first time or until the unlock request is complete.

Tsukino

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

How many days does it take to get the code?

Bought an AT&T GoPhone Lumia 640 from Best Buy on Saturday, the 26th and submitted an unlock request that same evening. As of today, the Current Status is In Progress. My husband is impatiently waiting (his birthday present) for it so we could put it on our T-Mobile account. I called AT&T support (800.331.0500) and they were not helpful. The CSR I spoke with today, Hershe (sp?), said for me to wait for management from the unlock department (those that handle the requests, I'm guessing) to send me the email. I should have pushed to talk to someone from that department instead of her.
I'm guessing the holiday season is making it take longer.

Tsukino

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. My impatience got the best of me. A couple of hours after submitted that post, I received the unlock code and instructions. :grincry:

asryan

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

I am trying in the method, but there appears the following message "Error: We’re sorry, but we’re having technical difficulties with our network at the moment. Please try again later. If this problem persists, try clearing the cache and cookies from your device. Questions? Call us at 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone. (errorCode.ULS3001)
"
Please help me, what does it mean???

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I got the above message when I submitted for a code on a phone I had active on my personal account. I resubmitted as a non-account holder, and had the code in minutes.

Check to make sure that you have selected non-ATT account holder. I have no idea what that is, but that actually went that way for me on two personal phones these past few days.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I got the above message when I submitted for a code on a phone I had active on my personal account. I resubmitted as a non-account holder, and had the code in minutes.

Check to make sure that you have selected non-ATT account holder. I have no idea what that is, but that actually went that way for me on two personal phones these past few days.

Weird, I always use non-ATT account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea