Double Tap To Wake failure rate?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Picked up a new 640 yesterday. Loving it. After reading through this thread, and making sure I double tap in the bottom half of the screen and making sure both taps are in the same location, I've got 100% success rate so far. Thanks for the thread.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Still hit or miss on both phones no matter where a tap. High/low, fast/slow, hard/soft, makes no difference. Fingers and screen are cleaner than most. I'm a bit of a Felix Unger (if you're younger than 40 you might not get the reference) as I handle documents all day long that change hands over and over again so I wash my hands quite a bit. It's not really an issue I guess as the feature is somewhat gimmicky (or at least redundant) to me anyways after using the phones for a while.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I own both the 640 and 640 XL and I would guesstimate at least 60% of the time the double tap to wake doesn't work on the first try. Sometimes it takes three or for attempts. What about you guys and gals?

Depends on the position the phone is in. If it's flat on a desk, I'll have to tap 3-4 times. If I'm holding it in my hand as if I'm about to look at the screen, works with a double tap every time.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The double tap works too efficiently for me, it wakes up in my pocket sometimes, it's so annoying I don't even use it anymore 😂😂

That's odd, considering it won't wake if the proximity sensor is covered (like when you put the phone in the pocket) It shouldn't happen at all, i never had this issue.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
That's odd, considering it won't wake if the proximity sensor is covered (like when you put the phone in the pocket) It shouldn't happen at all, i never had this issue.

It's from the power button getting pressed, not the screen getting double-tapped. I'll guarantee.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Depends on the position the phone is in. If it's flat on a desk, I'll have to tap 3-4 times. If I'm holding it in my hand as if I'm about to look at the screen, works with a double tap every time.

Ah ha! You're on to something. Only tried so far with my 640, but holding it in my hand while double tapping has given about 90% accuracy. It would seem though that the double tap feature is more useful when you're not holding your phone. In any event, thanks.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I find that double-tap to wake is more convenient while it is sitting on a flat surface. If I'm already holding it, then hitting the power button is easier than using a second hand to turn it on. Tapping it while on the desk or table, however, saves me from having to pick up the phone.

I find that if it's been sitting on the table for a while, sometimes a single-tap, wait 2 seconds, and a double-tap will work every time. More convenient if I've got my hands full and the phone is on a counter (perhaps one hand dirty while cooking in the kitchen, and the phone has the recipe on the display).

Usually, though, it wakes 1st try without that trick, even when resting on a table.

EDIT for an Update: I have learned that if you have "glance" on our phone, and wave your hand over the face of the sensors to wake up glance, then the double-tap will work afterward while the glance screen is available. This is, of course, after sitting no the table for a while.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99