T-Mobile no longer selling 640 online

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So in light the fact that T-Mobile stopped selling the Lumia 640 online after just two months, not to mention they took forever to even stock it in the first place, do you think it's the end of the line for Windows Phone at T-Mobile? Especially since the upcoming Windows Phones are Flagships, which T-Mobile has a history of not selling.

Sure they're still selling them as prepaid in Walmart, but even then you have to wonder how long that will last. I would like to see the sales graph of the Lumia 640 before and after the Microsoft's decision to Jettison their Nokia Division.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As I posted in that thread, I really think this is more of a T-Mobile decision than Microsoft. They have always dragged their feet with Windows Phone so it's not like T-Mobile really need convincing to discontinue with Windows Phone.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Nothing in the local Walmarts, SLC seems to be a dry spot for these phones. I even ordered one online from Wally world, expedited delivery etc... The order status never even changed from processing to shipped even though they showed in stock so I've cancelled.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Nothing in the local Walmarts, SLC seems to be a dry spot for these phones. I even ordered one online from Wally world, expedited delivery etc... The order status never even changed from processing to shipped even though they showed in stock so I've cancelled.
That is a bit concerning, if you couldn't even get it from Walmart online. This could just be an isolated incident but it may also mean it soon might not be stocked in Walmart as well...

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I can say it's the end of the line for Windows Phone at my house... I already had everyone convereted, too; the wife is rocking a 925 and my son has a 930, we were planning on upgrading both of those to 640s as availability and funds allowed. I can take a hint, though.... next time we're buying Android. T-Mo doesn't care (they sell, what *one* WP device right now? A refurb of a 2 year old device?), MSFT doesn't care (spin it however you want, except for Cortana the "Microsoft Experience" is better on Android than it is on WP), so why should I?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Why does tmo sell that phone for more than you can get it for from AT&T?
That's a good question. Is it because of Wi-Fi calling on their phones? I read that both Verizon and AT&T will have this on their phones soon. Maybe when that happens we can compare prices for the same model of phones they sell to see if the selling price is the same across the board.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's a good question. Is it because of Wi-Fi calling on their phones? I read that both Verizon and AT&T will have this on their phones soon. Maybe when that happens we can compare prices for the same model of phones they sell to see if the selling price is the same across the board.
The same exact phone sold in Walmart also has Wi-Fi calling. I think T-Mobile probably thought it wasn't gonna sell in huge numbers so may as well sell it for as much as they can. Prepaid Phones are always priced lower hence why the Walmart version is cheaper.

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Why does tmo sell that phone for more than you can get it for from AT&T?

The T-Mobile flavor supports their Band 12 which is rolling out across the country, primarily serving areas that presently have little to no coverage, mostly in rural locations. It's also seen in metro areas to take some of the load off of other bands. If your plan is to use AT&T then no advantage.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm a customer looking to save money, ditch the iPhone 6 and go simple. I love the WP platform but this move almost forces me to the Core/Prime phones form Samsung/LG, which I've never been a fan of. Blame T-Mobile, I think MS has their priorities wrong in the mobile department. MS needs to release and aggressively market their phones if they want to make any headway.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Giving up on Windows Phone and going with Android doesn't really hurt Microsoft. But it doesn't really help the Windows Phone ecosystem when consumers would rather not contend with buying international variants or switching carriers to get some new hardware. I can appreciate not wanting to put up with the perceived lack of care or effort on the part of T-Mobile, Microsoft, etc. when it comes to the 640 / 640 XL. The device doesn't necessarily set the world on fire when leasing a cellphone is all the rage these days. Sure, $80 - $120 might snag you a 100% paid for Lumia 640 but you can easily pay that amount after three months while using a Galaxy S6.

Subsidies and long-term contracts are going away. Flagship devices will require full, up-front payment or financing based on qualifying credit and monthly payments. Lower tier and mid-range models can be bought outright for hundreds less, but there are compromises. These are wireless phones, not vehicles. I'd rather Microsoft continue to develop, market, sell and support mid-range devices that can be bought for less than $200. I'd rather save my money and put it towards actual needs versus wants.

At the end of the day these are phones and shouldn't consume a high percentage of your monthly expenditures

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Oh well, you can always buy an AT&T Lumia 640 from Wally World for $80 and get It unlocked directly by AT&T but the only thing you'll be missing out on is Wi-Fi Calling. T-Mobile never been a good supporter of Windows Phone thus I always bought AT&T Lumia devices brand new or used then got them unlocked as since the Lumia 520 days

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh well, you can always buy an AT&T Lumia 640 from Wally World for $80 and get It unlocked directly by AT&T but the only thing you'll be missing out on is Wi-Fi Calling. T-Mobile never been a good supporter of Windows Phone thus I always bought AT&T Lumia devices brand new or used then got them unlocked as since the Lumia 520 days
Seems to me T-Mo is all about what's good for them rather than what customers want. AT&T seems to me to want to carry what people want. If not for AT&T, Iphone might not have gotten off the ground. Verizon turned them down. Sprint was all about the HTC Evo and TMo was trying to keep the lights on.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would think all companies do whats good for them. Seems to me T-Mobile has been growing steadily so I would say they must be doing something right for their customers.
T-mobile appealed to me because they have/had a decent selection of phones. My previous carrier had no windows phones at all and I think that isn't right at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs