Wi-Fi calling transition

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed on my 640, when I start a call away from Wi-Fi and then move into my Wi-Fi network, the call transitions to Wi-Fi calling, which is great. I don't know about the other direction, or if it matters that my data was on when I started, but I know that on my 635, it didn't transition. What makes the 640 different?

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Any ideas here? It's a very good feature; I'm just curious what makes it work on the 640 but not the 635.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It could be due to fact that WiFi calling is baked into the OS on the 640 as opposed to being a broken app (lazy T-Mobile support) on the 635.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I thought WiFi calling was on T-Mobile only. I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and bought the 640 prepaid phone. The phone sounds excellent on T-Mobile's network with HD voice and I have WiFi calling at home and the office. I know from reading about T-Mobile's WiFi calling that a call that starts on WiFi calling has to end on WiFi calling otherwise, when you leave the network it cannot reconnect to the GSM network and the call drops.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I thought WiFi calling was on T-Mobile only. I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and bought the 640 prepaid phone. The phone sounds excellent on T-Mobile's network with HD voice and I have WiFi calling at home and the office. I know from reading about T-Mobile's WiFi calling that a call that starts on WiFi calling has to end on WiFi calling otherwise, when you leave the network it cannot reconnect to the GSM network and the call drops.

That was my experience before on the 635, but I've noticed on the 640 it seems to work when moving between.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I have yet to start a conversation on WiFi and have a need to leave the area I'm in (and on a call) to continue said conversation off of WiFi. When the situation actually comes up, I will share my findings. Hopefully the call continues, but my expectation is that it won't.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I have yet to start a conversation on WiFi and have a need to leave the area I'm in (and on a call) to continue said conversation off of WiFi. When the situation actually comes up, I will share my findings. Hopefully the call continues, but my expectation is that it won't.

I double checked to make sure I'm not crazy, and moving from Wi-Fi to no Wi-Fi causes a brief disruption in the conversation, and after a couple seconds it's fine, without losing the call. Going from no Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi has no disruption at all.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I double checked to make sure I'm not crazy, and moving from Wi-Fi to no Wi-Fi causes a brief disruption in the conversation, and after a couple seconds it's fine, without losing the call. Going from no Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi has no disruption at all.

That is really great news! The calls are so crisp and so clear on T-Mobile that I have no plans on switching. I can actually use my phone as a phone.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
That is really great news! The calls are so crisp and so clear on T-Mobile that I have no plans on switching. I can actually use my phone as a phone.
Sure beats my old days on Verizon (a lot of years ago) where I had to stand in the street to take calls. :)

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I originally had Cingular (because I worked for them) before I moved to Verizon. I had them for several years but my wife and I moved to Sprint when all I got from Verizon Customer Service were excuses. I will say this much, I don't think I've ever complained more about a carrier and been able to get things escalated to upper management so quickly. Sprint was (and still is) a nightmare. Horrible service, horrible Customer Service, horrible selection of phones and plans. I looked into options and thought AT&T was the lesser of the remaining evils. For a while they were, but my wife had so many problems with her line that we gave up and dropped them for T-Mobile. I'm only on the prepaid plan and so far I'm enjoying it. I'm paying far less than what I was for service with AT&T, although I will miss my generous data allotment. I took the 20GB plan and when double data was available I switched to 40GB. With rollover, I would usually have 70-80GB a month to burn through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb