gasbuddy app crash on data

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
is gasbuddy not wanting to open for everyone else unless it is on wifi? keeps closing if you try to open it on data for some reason. not sure if there is a setting that can affect this. does it if on phone or sd card it seems.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I used it on 9/12 when I filled up with no issues. I was not on WiFi at the time. You said it fails regardless of whether on the phone or SD card - mine is installed on the phone.

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling?

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah tried uninstalling. Yeah does it on phone and SD card. Open it it shows it is loading a second then closes. Tried Turing GPS off and on too but didn't change it.

Last edited:

rockinroller

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I am afraid us Microsoft phone folks are going to have increasing difficulties with "normal" phone software that Apple and Android users enjoy. Gas Buddy is one of those apps.

I have the same issue as you and don't expect it to go away any time soon. If anything, more and more apps companies are withdrawing their support for Microsoft.

May be time to consider another phone?

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Looking at another platform is not the answer. And I feel that Microsoft can still turn things around if they play their cards right. I'm not ready to give up yet. BTW, to return to topic, I've used the app several times in October with no issue. May have been an issue with the server that day.

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
it has been updated on 11/5/15 but still crashing or not even opening. on the app store it says the version is 3.2.0.1 but when you open the app under settings it says 3.3 in bottom right corner and if you tap it it changes to (4+4) > (fruit and robots) whatever that means. i have trued turning off location, use your location under settings on app. still happens. restart background agent didn't do anything.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I've used the app multiple times since my last post. Only had one time it gave me any issue since I've had the 640 and that was some time ago before my last post. It ran fine under both WP8.1 and W10M.

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Good for you. Mine is still stuck to wifi only - They initially contacted me back and suggested reinstall (well, duh! But I did it, AGAIN, same results) and then to verify my cell data approvals (it is allowed) They then wrote me saying no one else (really?) has this issue... it's just little old me. I wrote them back that maybe they should read their feedback on the MSFT app store (many instances of this) and on here... I even offered them the option of a data dump or even vpn'ing into my phone... I have heard nothing from them since... nada... they don't know why either, and they aren't saying squat. Sad... used this app since gingerbread on an android, used it on a blackberry10, and now it dies here... very sad indeed.

Still, as long as I am on wifi it works...

grobinsonpa

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I sympathize with all of you who struggle with the Gas Buddy App. I have it on my 640 and my wife has it on her BLU WIN LTE. The App is very sporadic when it will work and when it won't . So here is what we did, use Internet Explorer and log into gasbuddy.com then pin the page to the start screen on your phone. This is gasbuddy's mobile start page. When you want to use gasbuddy just tap this tile and you're in. So far it has worked every time I have accessed it.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The web site does work reliably. However, I did finally locate an issue with it not wanting to work on cellular. You may want to check and see if you're issue is the same. When I access Gas Buddy at home, there is no Wi-Fi for miles, and Gas Buddy behaves properly. However, when there is a public, open Wi-Fi available, and I am not connected to it, it does not want to work. It wants me to connect in order to be able to use the "free" data. Once I turn OFF the Wi-Fi, it starts working again.

I have that same issue with other apps as well, where things don't work reliably if I'm on a "border" of a Wi-Fi signal, where the signal is showing connected but too far away to connect properly. Cortana also fails me in these circumstances, though, so it may not be your issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786