Anyone else get asked a lot lately with this phone?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had at least ask me once a day or when I'm at a large crowd when I whip it out.

"what kind of phone is that?"

I just say its a Nokia phone then I forget that its microsoft now.. So it sparks some interest on people. I get comments at how thin it is. I mean iPhones are thin. must be the sex appeal of this phone.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If you're asking about "Windows Phones" in general, then yes - I've been asked numerous times already about my Lumia 1020, which 99% of the time leads to discussions and demonstrations of the legendary 41MP camera. I'd mention that it was made by Nokia, but I have to explain how things have changed now with Microsoft.

People are generally interested in something they haven't seen before; it could be the form factor, interface or appeal of the phone (but definitely not the sex appeal since the phone has no gender or sexual function :wink:).

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
LLOL True. HOws your 1020 holding up? I've always wanted that phone. Are u going to upgrade that to WIn 10??

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My dad gets asked more than I do...and I was the one who convinced him to get it. Go figure. LOL.

I don't get asked, but it could be because of my habits in general.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
LLOL True. HOws your 1020 holding up? I've always wanted that phone. Are u going to upgrade that to WIn 10??

Well, it "died" after 11 months of ownership, partly lucky actually since I had it repaired for free (under warranty). I got a Lumia 535 as a temporary phone, and after exactly 90 days I got my revived Lumia 1020. It's been performing like it's brand new ever since, together with the occasional OS-related bugs (restarts when load is too high, or some images have strange and disruptive bands when the phone is in the middle of updating tiles when the photo was being saved, etc.).

Upgrading to Windows 10? That depends on how stable the "final" or "official" build will be for the L1020. Right now, I'm definitely not going to upgrade it to the current version available through TP, but probably in a few months. But if the successor of the L1020 comes out before I decide to upgrade my L1020, I'll probably just keep it in WP 8.1. Who knows? :wink:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The 640 catches a lot of attention?

I didn't know what phone this was about until I saw the placement of the thread... I thought by the OP that this was about a 1020, 920, 1520, 830, 930, etc.

You have one of the bright shells on it, don't you? Never though of the 640 as eye catching, the 640 xl, yes...

I might move to a 640 soon, to stock up some money for a SP4 & Lumia 950

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The 640 doesn't draw much attention. It's unassuming design leads many to think it's another Android device. When I start using it, I get questioned. It's not the conversation piece you believe it might be. Now the 1020 - I would get questioned about that all the time.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The 640 doesn't draw much attention. It's unassuming design leads many to think it's another Android device. When I start using it, I get questioned. It's not the conversation piece you believe it might be. Now the 1020 - I would get questioned about that all the time.

The 640 has the unassuming design that makes ppl think it's just another android, while the xl has a design that stands out and poses questions.

The 950 also appears to have that same bland design that will make ppl see it as just another android in the ocean of androids going by these leaks and renders.The 950 xl on the other hand looks beautiful and eye catching... Why are the XL's beautiful while the standard sizes are bland with the latest lineup?

The 950 imho should be more like a small 950 xl and not so much a separate phone. I'm somewhat upset that they aren't more alike. The 950 xl is said to have triple led while the 950 is said to not (although the renders clearly show three led's anyway), the xl has the better processor, and then there are clear distinct design differences (with them being mostly negative on the 950 end compared to the Xl which looks much nicer imo)

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
As a matter fact, i get asked alot about my 640, mostly by girls. Like a month ago, when me and my friends were on swimming by the falls, and two of my friends (girls) asked me about the phone and played with it a while, one of them even said she's thinking about getting herself a flagship one.
Last Wednesday i even 'converted' an android user to wp, 640xl to be exact, girl again :d

Nevets68

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had this phone for a few days and received a few comments (all positive) as well as a few questions on how Windows 8.1 works *functionality wise.) I love this phone...really. I'm not into selfies but it's nice to have a front facing camera (if i ever become a narcissist. ;) I've already converted one person into buying a windows phone (as a matter of face I helped this person transfer their photo's / contacts into the 640 already. )

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I have had a few ask. Not so long ago I was in a golf shop & the bloke behind the counter said "Sht, did you bring you TV with you". lol
Nokia 1320. I don't show it off anymore due to lag with Win10.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Yeah please don't show anyone W10M its embarrassing. Lol

On the contrary I showed my father my Lumia 520 running Windows 10 Mobile and he was really interested in it. He's only ever had three smartphones in his life. iPhone 4s, then a really horrid four or even five year old HTC Android that he hated, and then an iPhone 6. And Windows 10 Mobile running on three year old hardware (that was budget when it was released) made him interested. He keeps telling me to put it on my Lumia 830 so he can see it in action on a decent phone.

SaltCityBoy

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Just today got asked from a friend how did I get that good photo without using flash in darker room. When I said it's Microsoft phone he was very surprised and asked me how much did I pay for that thing. And the got another surprise when I told 120€ only.

I must say, I was also surprised how good blue Lumia 640 looks when I buy it :D

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had a stranger ask me about any phone I've owned. The 640 is a somewhat generic looking phone (which I like), well built and a clean look, but still generic in my opinion, at least in black, so it doesn't attract any attention for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)