My 640 came back from the Microsoft warranty/repair center today...

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Taking it to a MS store seems like a good option but I bought it at WalMart and also already sent it in to repair under warranty. So wouldn't they just tell me to take it up with the repair center? Don't want to waste a trip and be more frustrated...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Taking it to a MS store seems like a good option but I bought it at WalMart and also already sent it in to repair under warranty. So wouldn't they just tell me to take it up with the repair center? Don't want to waste a trip and be more frustrated...
How long has it been since you have bought the phone from there? If it hasn't been very long, I believe that you should be to go to WalMart and tell them that you are having issues with the phone.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That spot you're seeing is a flaw in the Clear Black polarizer under the display, I've seen it on a couple of Lumia's.(one of which is my own)

Whatever Microsofts process is for applying the polarizer, sometimes it ends up splotchy or uneven. In the case of your phone, it simply looks like they missed a spot. Mine only bothers me when I'm browsing the web, but I've gotten used to it.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I notice spot on bright backgrounds, cant totally avoid it. Your eyes are drawn to it and it screws up the whole experience. What gets me ticked off is that I sent it in for repair of a bright spot and get a bigger spot in return. Who exactly does Microsot contract out to for certified repair? I'm not so sure it's a polarizer issue since the spot would've most likely have been there from day one and I would've returned it immediately. Theres actually a gap in the chassis in one spot (defective chassis?) that may have allowed a spec of dust in backlight. This is my suspicion. IMG_0007.JPG

This photo is from before I Sent phone in for repair. The gap is still there. I beleive the technician opened up the case, blew on the back of the backlight/display and in doing so moved debris to another spot, put it back together and called it a success.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is without a screen protector? You don't need screen protectors honestly. And some can ruin the oleophobic coating. It's actually very hard to scratch the screen. A wallet case is the best for when you're going out. That looks like something was pressed too hard against the lcd or is continuing to press against it. Press your finger down on your lcd monitor and let go you get the same effect except it restores. But most of these have glass over them so it's hard to do that unless the force came from behind where the internals are. Open up the case and see if any internals are wedged too tightly. Even an sd card. Maybe pull the internals away from screen lightly see if it disappears.

Either way if they gave you a new screen it's likely refurbished. But you would think they would test it first.

You could also try an app called Dead Pixel test and fix. Not sure if this would help in this scenario as it doesn't look like a dead pixel.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Its not screen protector related as the spot has moved. Its some sort of debris in the backlight or some other layer behind lcd. Like I said the tech probably opened it up blew on whatever it was and thought it was gone, but in reality just moved it. As far as opening it up and fixing it myself, I dont have the environment (dust free workspace) or the proper tools. Besides it would void my warranty.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Did you try possibly finding instructions on how to open it up and try to see for yourself. That does sound plausible that something is between the backlight and lcd screen. But seriously if you brought that to an MS store they would replace it. Hope Ms opens more of them. Glad there's one here 5 minutes away.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same experience. My 830 has now a fourth new screen. First issue was one protruding corner. Second was this white spot and third were stuck pixels.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I didn't buy it at MS store, got it at Walmart. I was on online chat with MS support today and since I didn't buy from them they kept directing me to warranty repair center. I could very easily take it apart and try to fix, I've fixed and replaced screens on half dozen iPhones (on expired warranty's) but if I cant and screw something up then there goes my warranty.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the same experience. My 830 has now a fourth new screen. First issue was one protruding corner. Second was this white spot and third were stuck pixels.

So did you send it back to repair center 3 times? I'm not willing to send it back without them sending me a replacement before hand. this is my only phone.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you are going to open the back and fix a white spot on the screen by yourself, unless you replace the screen assembly.

New assemblies aren't too expensive, but there isn't much sense in doing that since it's under warranty.

It seems to me that you have two options - go to the MS store, or send it back in.

I am not sure what else you really want out of this thread at this point. For some reason, going to an MS store doesn't appeal to you, so that leaves you with opening a warranty case and sending it back.

I don't know if you will get MS to send you a new phone in advance, but I sort of doubt it. You can check the 830 threads - some folks there had success with warranty exchanges. In some cases, folks walked up to the MS store (though they did not buy at the MS store), and they got an exchange for their phones on the spot.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You don't need screen protectors honestly. And some can ruin the oleophobic coating.

I don't find this to be accurate at all. Over time, the oleophobic coating on your screen will wear off, and you start to notice smudges in areas where your thumb swipes the most. Using a screen protector is the best way to preserve the oleophobic coating on your device.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you are going to open the back and fix a white spot on the screen by yourself, unless you replace the screen assembly.

New assemblies aren't too expensive, but there isn't much sense in doing that since it's under warranty.

It seems to me that you have two options - go to the MS store, or send it back in.

I am not sure what else you really want out of this thread at this point. For some reason, going to an MS store doesn't appeal to you, so that leaves you with opening a warranty case and sending it back.

I don't know if you will get MS to send you a new phone in advance, but I sort of doubt it. You can check the 830 threads - some folks there had success with warranty exchanges. In some cases, folks walked up to the MS store (though they did not buy at the MS store), and they got an exchange for their phones on the spot.

Simply It's the point that is the point.

dash2009

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia's after sale service is literally non existing. So don't bother.

You are lucky you at least got your phone back from those thieves. I bought my Lumia 1520 for $700 back in March 2014. The touchscreen went bad in June 2014. Gave it to the Service Center and was promised same 7-10 days, but in my case those 7-10 days never came. Even after 2 Months they didn't return my phone. I asked for a refund, but no luck. Waited 5 months for my phone or money, but nothing. Had to file a case in consumer court in the end, which is still going on and I have not received my phone nor my money from Microsoft/Nokia.

So Microsoft phones are a Big No from Me.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't find this to be accurate at all. Over time, the oleophobic coating on your screen will wear off, and you start to notice smudges in areas where your thumb swipes the most. Using a screen protector is the best way to preserve the oleophobic coating on your device.

I'm saying some cheap protectors use compounds that could mess with when you slip them off. And there's no point to having the coating preserved if you use the screen protector. Once again, there's really no need for one. It's tough to scratch these kinds of screens. I know because I have dropped my screen flat on the screen to a gravel surface. I had to dust all the rocks stuck to it and there was only one scratch near the bottom but I think it was always there. I just noticed it after checking at the right angle. It's near the navigation keys. But not noticeable until you keep searching for the right angle in the right lighting.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia's after sale service is literally non existing. So don't bother.

You are lucky you at least got your phone back from those thieves. I bought my Lumia 1520 for $700 back in March 2014. The touchscreen went bad in June 2014. Gave it to the Service Center and was promised same 7-10 days, but in my case those 7-10 days never came. Even after 2 Months they didn't return my phone. I asked for a refund, but no luck. Waited 5 months for my phone or money, but nothing. Had to file a case in consumer court in the end, which is still going on and I have not received my phone nor my money from Microsoft/Nokia.

So Microsoft phones are a Big No from Me.

Is it possible it was stolen by a courier or mail personnel? I would never trust shipping my phone. You should have left it on and tracked it with find my phone. You can set it to create a location history periodically even with gps off. And it shows you where it tracks. This would also be great to prove in court that they received it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99