Is replacing the 640 screen with new OEM non branded digitizer safe?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
My 640 screen started showing a rectangle with vertical blue lines for no apparent reason... so I'm looking for a replacement one and there are plenty of pre-assembled digitizers that I could buy. But I read the "An idiot?s guide: How not to repair your Lumia" that said this:

"When a device resets, it performs a hardware check to ensure everything is in order. Nokia phones in particular look for official Nokia hardware, if they do not find it, then they let you know. Upon being greeted with the language selection screen, I was once again unable to interact with the device. My cheap, non-official, screen no longer worked. I was crestfallen."

So now I'm a bit afraid of buying a new screen. I can't afford the official digitizers I've found but I don't want to waste my money!

Oh and how come it says OEM and Unbranded... isn't OEM supposed to mean Original Equipment Manufacturer?

What can I do? Is it safe?

Thank you!

http://www.winbeta.org/news/idiots-guide-how-not-repair-your-lumia

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Would a new be 640 be cost effective vs trying to fix the damage?

Via Windows Central for Android

No cause I can get a screen between $50 and $75 and a new Lumia 640 would cost me around $200 (I'm in Canada so with the exchange rate it costs me a lot more and no one sells Windows Phones in Canada).

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Repair Universe has nothing for the Lumia 640 unfortunately. ETrade Supply was actually the site I was looking for yesterday but couldn't remember the name. Thanks! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar