How Will Updates Eventually Be Pushed?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
All updates for all Windows 10 devices around the globe, including in the US, will be ultimately controlled by Microsoft.

Microsoft has agreed to allow carriers to give "input" on each build before the release, but Microsoft has stated clearly that even then, Microsoft will decide when to push the button to send out the update. Carriers will not be allowed to block it, nor able to block it. It will be as the iPhone does it now.

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
All updates for all Windows 10 devices around the globe, including in the US, will be ultimately controlled by Microsoft.

This is great to hear. Anyone with Android knows the frustration in getting timely updates at either the manufacturer or carrier level, or support which is completely abandoned across so many models as a deliberate obsolescence tool and ploy to purchase newer models.

I trust my Lumia 640's firmware and OS, like any Win 10 supported device, will have the same level of support as newer models which have or will come out, no different really from pc's. It's reassuring.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I trust my Lumia 640's firmware and OS, like any Win 10 supported device, will have the same level of support as newer models which have or will come out, no different really from pc's. It's reassuring.

That's the whole idea. One OS to rule them all. To make it One OS, it has to be able to be kept up to date.

No different from PCs... yeah, that's on purpose, too. Microsoft is doing it right this time around. They may be taking their sweet time to get it there, but it takes time to get it done right.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
That's the whole idea. One OS to rule them all. To make it One OS, it has to be able to be kept up to date.

No different from PCs... yeah, that's on purpose, too. Microsoft is doing it right this time around. They may be taking their sweet time to get it there, but it takes time to get it done right.

I think WP8 was a great release but I'm looking forward to the all in one windows 10 solution. If MS does it well enough, I think it could be a major boost in terms of phone adaptation by the market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte