Will we be reliant on our cell carriers to push the updates or can we get them direct from Microsoft over wifi or cell?
    10-29-2015 11:15 AM
    In America, I believe that the control is still by the carrier, unless it is unlocked by Microsoft
    10-29-2015 11:21 AM
    All updates for all Windows 10 devices around the globe, including in the US, will be ultimately controlled by Microsoft.

Microsoft has agreed to allow carriers to give "input" on each build before the release, but Microsoft has stated clearly that even then, Microsoft will decide when to push the button to send out the update. Carriers will not be allowed to block it, nor able to block it. It will be as the iPhone does it now.
    10-29-2015 02:03 PM
    All updates for all Windows 10 devices around the globe, including in the US, will be ultimately controlled by Microsoft.
    This is great to hear. Anyone with Android knows the frustration in getting timely updates at either the manufacturer or carrier level, or support which is completely abandoned across so many models as a deliberate obsolescence tool and ploy to purchase newer models.

I trust my Lumia 640's firmware and OS, like any Win 10 supported device, will have the same level of support as newer models which have or will come out, no different really from pc's. It's reassuring.
    10-29-2015 04:03 PM
    I trust my Lumia 640's firmware and OS, like any Win 10 supported device, will have the same level of support as newer models which have or will come out, no different really from pc's. It's reassuring.
    That's the whole idea. One OS to rule them all. To make it One OS, it has to be able to be kept up to date.

No different from PCs... yeah, that's on purpose, too. Microsoft is doing it right this time around. They may be taking their sweet time to get it there, but it takes time to get it done right.
    PepperdotNet likes this.
    10-29-2015 05:34 PM
    That's the whole idea. One OS to rule them all. To make it One OS, it has to be able to be kept up to date.

No different from PCs... yeah, that's on purpose, too. Microsoft is doing it right this time around. They may be taking their sweet time to get it there, but it takes time to get it done right.

I think WP8 was a great release but I'm looking forward to the all in one windows 10 solution. If MS does it well enough, I think it could be a major boost in terms of phone adaptation by the market.
    10-29-2015 06:47 PM